Dug my deepest coin thus far with deus

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug my deepest coin today and a deep bullet as well using the deus. Deus was configured with 11" coil, sens 93, 8khz, reactivity 1 silencer 0, disc 6.2. I had found a few coins in this spot over the last few months. I got this weak but consistent clear higher pitched growl with just the tip of horseshoe showing. It was a consistent signal and coil speed could be varied slightly and still get the signal. The ole number 98 kept coming in the screen. I haven't been over a deepie with deus and 11" coil with version 3.2 and I wondered if the new version acted the same as the older 2.0 version. Seems it does. I just wished I would of notched out 98 and 99 and swept my coil over it to see what I would have heard. Maybe next time. The wheat penny turned out to be 11 inches down. With same settings I dug a 10 inch bullet, 2 way signal only. Signal was good but at the end while sweeping it was extremely chopped. Pinpoint indicated small target. Screen showed no VDI on the best audio producing sweeps with just the sliver of the horseshoe showing. I would have bet the farm it was deep nail/iron, and since it pinpointed so small I dug it.
Here's the surprising part. While detecting the site today I never saw any bars on the iron meter. While sweeping both of the above targets the iron meter started producing 1 to 3 bars on sweeps. I had seen this before at an iron infested site with deus using 9 inch coil over 2 good targets- precivil war buttones. I attributed the iron bars to maybe the iron bits in the site. I'm not so sure now.
I love the deus. I usually sweep any and all blips I hear on original sweeps and try and maybe vary speed a little to see if in fact I get a signal/better signal. The soil in this area looks dark and horrible with red streaks on clay running through it.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats. Still learning my Deus. I dont have the 11" coil but instead the 13" x 11". I use similar settings (reactivity 0/1 and silencer on 0/1) when possible and I really think it CAN go just as deep as my CTX. I'm not able to run the ground with tracking using the big coil because it cuts too close to the bone and some of our ground is in the mid 70s. Just too much chatter that way. So with the big coil I run manual ground up around 85ish and its not too bad (with the 9" coil I can keep the ground a few clicks below actual which is the way I prefer it). Ive dug several deep targets but my deepest smaller find so far was a dime size piece of round coin-like aluminum in a farm field at about 15" or 16". I saw some posts about folks not getting good depth with the Deus but it can get down deep with the right settings.

I've also found the deus VDI to be very unreliable but I dig any decent signal so that doesnt really matter too much for me.

Also, the Deus with the big coil is horrible around power lines. That is when I have to switch to the CTX. Id use the CTX all time time but the ridiculous weight destroys my shoulder after several hours. Even with the 13" coil the Deus is light.

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stayed away from the monster coil for the deus. I don't like monster coils for the reasons you mentioned. The 11" coil is ideal IMO for for both depth and ample coverage and when installed on deus pole it seems to not be an EMI magnet. I like the weight of the 11" far better than the advertised monster coil. A beach setting may be the only reason I could see maybe a monster coil. I suspect with with some of the hotter ground the 9" coil may actually be a little deeper than the 11" coil. Deep targets under deus coil aren't real obvious. They sound a lot like a cat purring. The sound quality is good just not as loud as say a target that gives the real target ID i.e. a penny ringing in at say 82 VDI. Probably the best way to get to hear what a deepie sounds like with deus is dig say a 12 inch deep hole and toss a dime in it and cover it up. Go to pinpoint and sweep the dime. The sound you here will be very close to what my 2 deus machines sound like over deep good finds in disc mode. Don't notch anything especially the 97,98,99 numbers. Some do but I don't think they will be digging many fringe deep finds with their machines. Something else to try is take a decent size piece of can slaw and sweep at various heights, then do the same with a dime. See if you can hear the difference in the tone. I think you'll find the dime has a sweeter sound. The deus is a winner in my book. Sorta ashamed that some of the older more well established metal detecting companies didn't make a totally wireless detector first with various freq and infinite disc and large window for recovery settings. I don't think we've heard the end to these wireless detectors, time will tell.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hunt with the 13" coil full time. Can swing all day with it and not get fatigued. The 13 probably isnt much deeper than the 11 but i didnt want to buy both so went with the larger one. It picks up small stuff too. Ive found BB size lead way down deep. I can tell a coin shaped object pretty well now. The odd shaped can slaw has a lower tone mixed in most of the time. I still dig it all because in the colonial fields where i dig sometimes those signals turn out to be very cool relics. So I get an ear full of tones wether I like it or not lol. Ive been using the 13" almost from the beginning (save a few early hunts) so thats how I learned the Deus. I run with almost no disc, low to no recovery or silencer. Ground close to the bone or negative when possible. When I get into heavy iron I switch to the 9.

The only way I can learn more is to keep hunting and by digging it all. Not a problem!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions