Best coinshooting program?

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Fairly new to the Deus and wondering whats the best coinshooting program yall use? I usually run 12 KHZ, ground balance tracking, reactivity 3 with silencer at 1, sensitivity 85, discrimination 1, notch set at 0 to 38 and 97 to 99, TX power 2, iron volume 0, and audio response 5. I run 3 tones but since 0 to 38 is notched out its basically 2 with 0 to 38 set at 202, 38 to 80 set at 500 and 80 and up set to the highest point. The program seems to do pretty good but on a 3 inch or deeper coin it doesnt hit hard, it has the soft smooth sound to it instead of the beep beep sound. Which of these settings could be changed to make the coins hit harder?

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if its not super trashy try R of 2 or 1 and up the S to 90. The "double beep" you are referring to I believe is the sound a coin will make in the 0 to 3" range, I don't think you can get that sound on deeper coins. If it sounds good dig it, if its sounds a tad scratchy and good dig that as well - I have been finding buttons lately with a touch of scratch / grunt mixed with the high clear tone.

OP
OP
vabuckhunter

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Im not referring to the double beep of a shallow target but the clear beep on each pass. My high tones on a 3 inch or deeper coin sound like faint whispers almost.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's odd....when I run at R3 and S1 coins come in loud and clear easily at 8+ inches, maybe try you program vs Deus Fast and see if there's a major difference. I've only had my Deus for 6 months or so, others will probably be able to help more.
Also I should mention that if in GB Tracking, if you continually run the coil over the target to check it, the tracking mode may eventually cancel out the target. I stay away from tracking anymore for that reason.

Last edited:

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
Sounds like you're using the 9 inch coil? If not, you could have some rough soil there in Virginia...I could be wrong, but check out this video:

GB tracking is nice, but if you do a lot of sweeping over one target in the presence of iron, you can expect it to affect your GB. If you have Andy's book, you can read up on it...or read about it on metaldetectingworld. Try manual GB and see if that helps.

With your settings and AR set to 5, coins should be singing already. If you want a stronger hit on coins but don't want to change your settings too much, try a silencer of -1 or 0 to start off with to see if that does it for you. If that's not good enough, try changing reactivity to 2 or even 1 like Tedyoh mentioned.

OP
OP
vabuckhunter

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I am using the 9 inch coil, would the 11 be better? If I run the silencer down the machine becomes extremely chatty and falses allot.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First and foremost silencer at -1 setting. Reactivity setting 3 for poor soil. Try to keep disc below 6.9. The 12khz will most likely yield better results. You can run notch set to 69 and still find the coins. You can open say 50 -56 in notch and a nickel may/will slip through. When you are at a site and hit what you think is somewhat of a deep coin try adjusting your reactivity down to say 2 and see what happens. If it sounds good go on down to a 1 setting and listen. Remember silencer must stay at -1, maybe 0. The other silencer settings serve no purpose for me. And yes a quiet Deus detector is not giving you the most it has to offer.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
I am using the 9 inch coil, would the 11 be better? If I run the silencer down the machine becomes extremely chatty and falses allot.

Whether or not to use the 11" depends on your sites/location of targets, etc. There's a lot of 9 vs 11 posts out there to get a feel for what you need. I started off with the 9 and made some very nice recoveries and recently acquired the 11" but have only used it once before the weather set in. I only got the 11" to help with some rather clean sites with possible deep targets. From what I've read, the 11 does just as good a job as the 9 with respect to target separation, and it gets a couple more inches depth in certain conditions...it isn't cheap though.

If reducing silencer makes the Deus chatty, try keeping it where you have it and lowering reactivity a notch. I hear a significant sound difference on mid-range targets between Reactivity 2 and 3 using the 9 inch coil.

Good luck!

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ive never used notch. Does it work like conventional disc? If so, perhaps try not notching those numbers out but instead assign a low 100 tone to them and ignore them. This might mean you have to use 4 tones. The 1st zone would be for the 1. The 2nd from 2-38, 3rd from 39-80, 4th 81 and up.

I sometimes use a similar program because I would rather set the tone as low as poss and just ignore it rather than apply any conventional disc.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use a 13" x 11" coil a lot of the time on my old colonial fields and have no problems with it. In fact, at the last site AFTER I used the 9" in the heavy iron I put on the 13" and found even more with it with reactivity on 3, silencer on 2 and sens on 83. I popped out several relics and even a 1682 coin on heavy iron laden ground I just went over with the 9" coil. Ive used big loops before but with the Deus technology it seems vastly different. There have been many posts warning people to stay away from the 13" loop but I've proven to myself with the finds that its a different animal.

What i am trying to say is I'm not so sure these coil sizes make as much difference on the Deus as people think. The Deus seems to be able to process a lot of signals regardless.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fairly new to the Deus and wondering whats the best coinshooting program yall use? I usually run 12 KHZ, ground balance tracking, reactivity 3 with silencer at 1, sensitivity 85, discrimination 1, notch set at 0 to 38 and 97 to 99, TX power 2, iron volume 0, and audio response 5. I run 3 tones but since 0 to 38 is notched out its basically 2 with 0 to 38 set at 202, 38 to 80 set at 500 and 80 and up set to the highest point. The program seems to do pretty good but on a 3 inch or deeper coin it doesnt hit hard, it has the soft smooth sound to it instead of the beep beep sound. Which of these settings could be changed to make the coins hit harder?

Just change your TX power to 3..
The targets will hit harder..
George

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never used notch. Does it work like conventional disc? If so, perhaps try not notching those numbers out but instead assign a low 100 tone to them and ignore them. This might mean you have to use 4 tones. The 1st zone would be for the 1. The 2nd from 2-38, 3rd from 39-80, 4th 81 and up.

I sometimes use a similar program because I would rather set the tone as low as poss and just ignore it rather than apply any conventional disc.

Notch does not affect depth..

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes..there's alot of bad info out there..
Discrimination affects..But not notch..

Well dang. I need to rethink my programs then. Maybe i should be using a small block of notch for the iron rather than disc on these old sites. I'll have to read up on the notch stuff. Thanks for pointing this out. Youve helped me so much with the Deus.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, is the tx power the only thing you would change with that program Vino?

There is alot of variables..
If theres no iron or little turn up sens.
To 90 or 95..Silencer on -1 ..
But remember the deep ones will always be a wisper. 7inch or deeper..

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Vino. I was checking the manual regarding this notch thing. Where do you get your info from regarding the notch not affecting depth? The manual states that notch compliments conventional disc by blocking out a group of numbers. Why is this not like disc? Sorry, I know I am dense. lol

From the manual:

The Notch complements the discrimination: it enables a "window" of
targets to be rejected whereas discrimination rejects all targets
below a selected threshold.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Vino. I was checking the manual regarding this notch thing. Where do you get your info from regarding the notch not affecting depth? The manual states that notch compliments conventional disc by blocking out a group of numbers. Why is this not like disc? Sorry, I know I am dense. lol

From the manual:

The Notch complements the discrimination: it enables a "window" of
targets to be rejected whereas discrimination rejects all targets
below a selected threshold.

I will get back to you on this..
I have to look up my notes from the bootcamp..lol..
I will tell you the exact reason.
I asked Andy the same question..
And he told me this long technical reason..

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will get back to you on this..
I have to look up my notes from the bootcamp..lol..
I will tell you the exact reason.
I asked Andy the same question..
And he told me this long technical reason..

Thanks Vino. I forgot you went to that camp. Right now my program is no disc but in the heart of the 250 - 300 year old sites its tuff to listen too. But it is impossible to even use iron volume when using zero disc. Outright sucks. Deus needs to either come up with a volume control dedicated to a specific khz OR have the iron volume control VDI 1-10 wether or not one uses any disc - whatsoever. Right now the iron volume is based on a users disc setting. Imagine if we could control the volume of a specific khz? Then I could set the 1-10 zone to 100 khz and turn that zones volume to ZERO if i wanted. That would be disc without disc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread