All Treasure Hunting

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 9" coil would do better. You can turn TX power to level 1, an reduce sensitivity. A freq change may help too.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
Carb, You're talking about metal sign posts, fence posts and sidewalk rebar right? If you're swinging over them, under them or next to them, you're going to hear the posts/rebar no matter what you do. Reducing sens and TX will allow you to get closer, but ultimately those changes won't eliminate the detection of those items. You'll need to mute the audio for the vdis those items give.

Edit: I copied this from another website:

[h=1]Metal Detecting Near Playground Poles[/h]Most playground equipment is supported by large metal poles. This poses a problem for detectorists as many metal detectors cannot get within eight inches of the poles without their detector sounding off. What this means that the sand, gravel or wood chips close to the tot lot poles are not searched as often or effectively as that found in open areas. Often this portion of the playground can hold a significant amount of lost coins and jewelry items. Here are three tips for metal detecting around poles:

1. You can use your foot or trowel to move the material away from the poles so that you can detect the ground normally. In some locations, there are enough poles that this can require a bit of work. It can also give bystanders the impression that you are engaged in a destructive hobby as the holes are temporarily less discreet.
  2. Another option is a little noisy but can lead to some good finds. This method is accomplished by moving the coil right up next to the pole, which will cause your detector to sound off. Then slowly move the coil straight out and away from the pole, listening for any change in sound or beep within a beep. Each metal detector will respond differently and some work better than others for this. I have found, for example, that a concentric coil performs better in this task than does a DD configured coil. This method results in a one way signal so you will need to scrape the area of the signal away from the pole in order to better pinpoint the item, but it will save moving barren material.
  3. Finally, it can be helpful to use a metal detector probe such as the Garrett Propointer as it has a smaller footprint than a standard coil. Simply probe the areas close to the poles as the pinpointer can get quite close when held vertically. This can help you locate items that would be missed by method two listed above, but there are also two drawbacks. First, the small detection field of the pinpointer means that this method can be time consuming. Second, the pinpointer lacks the discrimination functionality of a metal detector and so you will likely dig more unwanted items than normal unless you are the dig all kind of detectorist.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

carb897

May 2, 2012
woodward, oklahoma
Detector(s) used
excal 11 , explorer se, garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone . I appreciate the advice.

OP
OP
C

carb897

May 2, 2012
woodward, oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have a minelab explorer that I have a concentric coil for would this help in getting closer to these type of objects? The reason I ask is cause my old ace 250 I remember I was able to run it next to a sidewalk without much trouble using the concentric that came with it.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was hunting recently and near a concrete perimeter of a basketball court and the Deus went crazy. I thought I had a great target at the perimeter but I decided to do a quick sweep of the pad it self and it was constant toning! Reason....................rebar!

I just stay away from those areas or at least where it starts to go nuts. Do miss some things??? Maybe, but not worth it to me. I try to stay in a uncontaminated area most often.

OP
OP
C

carb897

May 2, 2012
woodward, oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went out and tried with the concentric coil and was able to get a lot closer than with a double d coil. I like the deus a lot better than the explorer but each will serve their purpose .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread