Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just placed an order with Bart for a Deus, and I ordered the Andy Sambisch book. Fellow New Englanders, get the heck outta my way! I'm a hunka chunk burning steam-rollin' metal detecting machine now! Wooooot! Wooooot!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2015 - Dig Baby dig!! Cheers!!

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Diggy with the Higgy!

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will enjoy your new treasure weapon.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Higgy raising the bar!

No worries here - most of NY is safely on this side of the Hudson/Champlain moat.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep us updated Higgy! I'm just about to give the XP a go myself. Can't wait to hear what you think!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I have had a little time now to play around with the Deus. I'll admit that it has been a mixed bag. So many things I like. So many things I don't like.

First off, the WS4 backphones are a little wonky. The hinges where the earpieces bend down wont stay tight, and the whole rig just don't ride right. Constantly fiddling with them. I filled-in the hinges with epoxy. That solved the problem. They don't fold now, but that's the least of my troubles. I also had to trim some of the sharp flashing left over from the molding process. the flashing was hurting my ears. I still have to go back and smooth the plastic some more with some fine grit sandpaper. A little more tweaking and I should get them to fit comfortably.

I also hate that it came to me in French instead of English. This part sucks. I have no idea what I should do, and I really could use some advice... and don't tell me to go buy a copy of Rosetta Stone. :icon_scratch:

I also didn't receive the correct single USB-to Mini B cable which allows the update. Instead I got a USB - some funky hollow pin thing. No idea. I had to go to a radio shack and get the correct cable. I was thinking that the update might give me the option of changing a language.

Lastly - for now - The coil cover. It has these raised edges on the bottom that look like they'll wear quickly, and catch up on everything along the way. What's up with that? Does anyone here have a problem with theirs? Also, it dont fit too well imho. Instead of being a tight-fitting snap-on unit its like ease it on and hope it stays on.

Yes these are minor grumblings, I know. Any advice would help me a great deal.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
When I first got my Deus, I was not impressed. After a few hunts, it got better. I have been Deusing for 7 months now, and it is much better.

The WS4 backphones bothered me at first too. I sanded them smooth. I broke the first set that I had, and got another ($20) set, which fit a little differently. After I used them for a while, I got used to them. I like that you can wear them over a toboggan to keep your head warm in winter. They also allow you to hear the pin pointer and conversations. You can heat them up a little bit, with a torch, and bend and smooth them, but be careful.

You can change the language. I am sure of that. Just like a modern TV, you can pick the language.

My coil cover fits tight. It is tough to get it off for cleaning. If your cover is loose, put a little something ( tape, RTV silicon) in there to tighten it up.

I know that the expectation is that a relatively expensive toy should come out of the box hitting on all cylinders, but it was made in France... ( I am sorry, I could not resist). A little tweaking here and there, and I think that you will get used to it.

It really is a nice machine, light, wireless and configurable. My first few outings were tough, but I swear, it will get better, just give it a little time.

I hope that his helps. Don't hesitate to PM if there is anything that I can do for you. GL&HH!

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I first got my Deus, I was not impressed. After a few hunts, it got better. I have been Deusing for 7 months now, and it is much better.

The WS4 backphones bothered me at first too. I sanded them smooth. I broke the first set that I had, and got another ($20) set, which fit a little differently. After I used them for a while, I got used to them. I like that you can wear them over a toboggan to keep your head warm in winter. They also allow you to hear the pin pointer and conversations. You can heat them up a little bit, with a torch, and bend and smooth them, but be careful.

You can change the language. I am sure of that. Just like a modern TV, you can pick the language.

My coil cover fits tight. It is tough to get it off for cleaning. If your cover is loose, put a little something ( tape, RTV silicon) in there to tighten it up.

I know that the expectation is that a relatively expensive toy should come out of the box hitting on all cylinders, but it was made in France... ( I am sorry, I could not resist). A little tweaking here and there, and I think that you will get used to it.

It really is a nice machine, light, wireless and configurable. My first few outings were tough, but I swear, it will get better, just give it a little time.

I hope that his helps. Don't hesitate to PM if there is anything that I can do for you. GL&HH!

Thanks very much for your input, Tom. I am much-obliged, sir!

Yeah, I think a little tweeking and the WS4 will be a killer setup. I just got to conform it to my cranium! Its really going to be nice to wear a wide-brimmed hat on hot sunny days. I'm expecting I'll probably buy a Grey Ghost headset for it soon.

I'm having a new English-speaking remote sent to me as we speak. Detector Electronics is the distributor for North America? Anyhow, they gave me some great customer service.

I'm going to fiddle with the coil cover a little. I'm sure it will be just fine.

Now all I got to do is settle down and read that daggone Sabisch book. :laughing7:

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My only complaint now is the remotes fall off too easily. I'm like a bull in the china shop so its likely just me but we have 2 Deus' and it happens with both. Just wish there was a better locking mechanism. My machine remote has fallen off so many times now that the screen has moved inside the cover. So its crooked. No joke. A bit mickey mouse if you ask me.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My only complaint now is the remotes fall off too easily. I'm like a bull in the china shop so its likely just me but we have 2 Deus' and it happens with both. Just wish there was a better locking mechanism. My machine remote has fallen off so many times now that the screen has moved inside the cover. So its crooked. No joke. A bit mickey mouse if you ask me.

Yeah man, from what I've read, this is a common problem. I'm thinking that I could find a way to mount some sticky-back velcro to the remote and the stem, and see if that helps? I'll post the solution on here if it works.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks very much for your input, Tom. I am much-obliged, sir!

Yeah, I think a little tweeking and the WS4 will be a killer setup. I just got to conform it to my cranium! Its really going to be nice to wear a wide-brimmed hat on hot sunny days. I'm expecting I'll probably buy a Grey Ghost headset for it soon.

I'm having a new English-speaking remote sent to me as we speak. Detector Electronics is the distributor for North America? Anyhow, they gave me some great customer service.

I'm going to fiddle with the coil cover a little. I'm sure it will be just fine.

Now all I got to do is settle down and read that daggone Sabisch book. :laughing7:

Bart is sending out French language only remotes?

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to go off-topic, but reading the post by CarolinaTom ("... you can wear them over a toboggan to keep your head warm...") made me chuckle. That's the second time I've heard that word used in that manner, the first being from a couple of other (North) Carolina boys on their YouTube channel (Rhett & Link). Up here in Canada, we call this a toboggan:

toboggan1.jpg

What you're calling a toboggan we call a toque (rhymes with 'juke') or just a 'wool hat'

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah man, from what I've read, this is a common problem. I'm thinking that I could find a way to mount some sticky-back velcro to the remote and the stem, and see if that helps? I'll post the solution on here if it works.

I saw a guy using 3M super velcro and doing that. Will probably do this myself.

WolfUFFU

Greenie
Jan 21, 2015
hanover park
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I believe the is a cover that goes on your wrist you can get so you wont lose it from falling off the detector itself. here is a link for it. XP DEUS Remote Armband Protection Case | Shop | Features | Reviews | MetalDetector.com

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe the is a cover that goes on your wrist you can get so you wont lose it from falling off the detector itself. here is a link for it. XP DEUS Remote Armband Protection Case | Shop | Features | Reviews | MetalDetector.com

Yep. I have that one and it is cumbersome, hot, and hard to adjust the control through the thick clear layer. So I abandoned it.

I just now put this on mine:

I've had it for months but have put off attaching it until today. I put the tape directly on the clip locking surface because I'll knock it off the way he's doing it. Like I said, I'm rough on stuff. Will report back on how it works.

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Dagger Woods,
Just had to comment, toboggan is a common name for that type of hat here in Oklahoma too.....not so much anymore, but it was a common name when I was a kid here, back in the 60's and 70's

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread