Various detectors & settings trying to get fix on hammered silver Deus 13 & 11 coils

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Various detectors & settings trying to get fix on hammered silver Deus 13 & 11 coils

Check this video out which just came into my inbox. That Blisstool must me awesome but the good news for Deus users is both the 11 and 13 inch coils got solid diggable tones each way. I feel certain I'd be able to tweak mine enough to get that 11" tone just as nice as the 13". And I'll bet I could get another inch or two deeper with my 13". That 13" is a bad a$$ coil but somehow gets a bad rap which I'll never understand.

The Deus 13" coil comes in at 3:15 in and the 11" at 17:45 in.

Enjoy...

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've actually seen the video before, but it was after I sold my Deus the first time. I would have dug the signal either way with the Deus. I wished the video was more informative in the way of explaining the buried depth, etc. Thanks for sharing.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
With the accents I never heard how deep the target was...but that Blisstool was impressive. Glad to see the Deus was able to hit the target with both coils as well. I was really surprised some of those detectors with the huge coils couldn't hit the target, even with variables such as soil content and settings. Thanks for the video; that was excellent!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was surprised that the CTX couldn't hit with the 17" coil at all. I get really deep with that coil, but you don't know what you can't hear.

I can tell you the biggest difference between the Deus and the CTX is the Deus will clean up some signals that the CTX just can't get a good pinpoint on, but the CTX will hear some that the CTX can't hear. I still have more comparison testing to do, but this is some side by side testing that I did recently.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant believe no one said anything about minelabs cant detect freshly buried coins.. They have to be in the ground for a few years..
I personally know with out a doubt that my CTX is deeper then my deus. .Even in the deepest setting on the deus. .And the Ctx in open screen, which is the way i hunt with it..So the bottom line is you need both detecters because in the iron the deus shines. .
George

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Vino, thats something I never knew. I thought you were kidding at 1st.

I've not been able to duplicate your results down here. With even the 11" Deus coil I know I can get as deep as my CTX w/ standard coil. I dont own the 17" for the CTX so not sure how that would be. Maybe its because I can crank my Deus up so far around here without destabilization?

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vino, thats something I never knew. I thought you were kidding at 1st.

I've not been able to duplicate your results down here. With even the 11" Deus coil I know I can get as deep as my CTX w/ standard coil. I dont own the 17" for the CTX so not sure how that would be. Maybe its because I can crank my Deus up so far around here without destabilization?

What program do u use on the CTX? ?
I rarely can crank up the deus, so maybe thats why?
But whatever your doing ur doing well..lol
George

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cant believe no one said anything about minelabs cant detect freshly buried coins.. They have to be in the ground for a few years..
I personally know with out a doubt that my CTX is deeper then my deus. .Even in the deepest setting on the deus. .And the Ctx in open screen, which is the way i hunt with it..So the bottom line is you need both detecters because in the iron the deus shines. .
George

The CTX 3030 and the Minelabs are FBS technology and multifrequency. Totally different way they work.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear people say that about the CTX a lot that it likes things that were buried for awhile, but my question is why? Could it be the halo affect which basically makes the coin easier for the machine to "see". (I base this on Tom Dankowski's explanation on the halo and how it affects the ability for a coin to be found.) I am not sure if this is true with the CTX, but if this is true would we be basically saying that the CTX has limitations? I am not totally convinced that it makes a difference any more for the CTX to "like" old buried coins and "dislike" new coins any more than any other high-end machine.

If I do some research and/or someone can explain that the multi-frequency makes more of a difference between high conductive targets that have been buried for a while, versus newer items lying on top of the ground, and I believe them, then I will understand all this theory, but it is hard for me to say something that I haven't seen proven or otherwise proven by me.

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right..so you agree about freshly buried coins?

If your talking about Minelabs not air testing or on freshly buried coins yes. I have proven this many many times to myself on coin gardens. They need to be in the ground at least a year to get any real world results for the Minelabs.

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What program do u use on the CTX? ?
I rarely can crank up the deus, so maybe thats why?
But whatever your doing ur doing well..lol
George

I have a custom program and run wide open screen on the CTX. I do have a little disc on the 2nd disc screen but rarely use it. No doubt the CTX goes deep but I really think round here am able to match its depth using the Deus 13". Ive tried the CTX at 2 virgin sites where I already beat them hard with the Deus and fund just a few items. But really I just think I missed them with the Deus. They weren't really deep at all. Truth is i need more time. Maybe another year. Up until i got the Deus I thought I'd never sell my CTX so its not easy to sell it.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found some information where the Deus' depth is compromised in hot soil. Seems like I get about the same depth with the Deus as I do the CTX around my parts, but the Deus will read more consistently and accurately and the CTX has to have little or no discrimination to reach the same depth.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some information where the Deus' depth is compromised in hot soil. Seems like I get about the same depth with the Deus as I do the CTX around my parts, but the Deus will read more consistently and accurately and the CTX has to have little or no discrimination to reach the same depth.

The deus will read consistently? ? Really?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The deus will read consistently? ? Really?

I should be more clear, I meant consistent sound, not readings as in VID. There is no comparison that the CTX is more accurate and stable on the VID, but I am saying this from the standpoint of looking at the CTX ID and depending on it a lot more than the Deus'.

The accurate readings become null for me with the CTX at depth. I've dug quarters almost a foot down with the CTX only because I was digging everything by sound and not because of the way the machine IDed the item. At 8 inches I lose the sound on pennies and dimes even with an open pattern and the stock coil. I've had two machines in the past two years and it has been the same. I love the machine, just surprised it doesn't hit more solid sound wise.

I've dug all over my state and in parts of Tennessee but I can't get a consistent signal out of it using the 17" coil anymore than approximately 10 inches on a dime or penny. I absolutely love the machine but I guess surprised that even with the largest coil, I don't get more consistent sound with it at depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread