Any tricks when it comes to picking through aluminum?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, today I was using the Deus and all the yards I was detecting had tons of trash to include nails, aluminum and the disdain-bottle caps.

My last target for the day was hitting like a coin and reading a steady 93-95 on the meter. I told my buddy this may be a good coin at around 4 inches. I dig it up and it is a junk aluminum kid's ring. Neat find, but not the silver I would have thought.

I can sometimes tell when I get nails, etc, under the coil by the sound and usually I can tell when I get a coin by the size of the signal and the way it hits. My question is this: Is there any particular way to tell if you have a piece of aluminum under the coil rather than a coin?

I have extensive time on the CTX and when I am constantly digging aluminum and I can tell by the readings if I have a coin stuck in the middle of can slaw because the CTX reads so accurately, is there any way of determining this with the Deus?

I appreciate any help!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I know.. its a high conducter, They always sound great. They seem to be shallow, thats the only way i can tell..
George

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess on why the ring rang up so high, higher than the usual aluminum scrap / junk, is because of the round shape. I run in 8 when I'm in yards, seems to keep the aluminum at bay a little better.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ok, today I was using the Deus and all the yards I was detecting had tons of trash to include nails, aluminum and the disdain-bottle caps.

My last target for the day was hitting like a coin and reading a steady 93-95 on the meter. I told my buddy this may be a good coin at around 4 inches. I dig it up and it is a junk aluminum kid's ring. Neat find, but not the silver I would have thought.

I can sometimes tell when I get nails, etc, under the coil by the sound and usually I can tell when I get a coin by the size of the signal and the way it hits. My question is this: Is there any particular way to tell if you have a piece of aluminum under the coil rather than a coin?

I have extensive time on the CTX and when I am constantly digging aluminum and I can tell by the readings if I have a coin stuck in the middle of can slaw because the CTX reads so accurately, is there any way of determining this with the Deus?

I appreciate any help!

Have you tried using full tones in such a trashy area?

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum can be hard to figure out for me, especially when it is in a uniform shape like a ring or a flat piece of sheeting. I can usually hear a slight wobble in the signal if it some crumpled up foil, especially when I slowly pull the coil back and it hits the edge of the detection field. For me though, I believe that a good target that is near some iron trash could also produce the signal, so I often elect to dig it anyway.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing that will help some,is to use the pin pointer mode. If it reads big,or long it's a smashed alum soda can. I also use 8kHz for coin shooting as no US coins will ring in above 95 (94 US Silver Dollar). This year I'm going to try using 4kHz more for coinshooting. It hits coins like a hammer,and really shows you the trash,is trash.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It amazes me that the Deus will find things that others skip. I think that there are more nails, etc., in the ground than I realize. Yesterday, I found two newer half dollars that had been skipped over with another machine. Surprisingly, they were not hitting well and just would occasionally read high. I also found a silver dime the same way. The only reason I had dug the dime was because it was occasionally bouncing into the 93 readings (I had adjusted the frequency around 8 kHz due to the EMI) and it was only about 4 inches deep.

Speaking of this, what are things that you all do to reduce EMI? I found that turning the reactivity down and changing the frequency is about the only thing that helps. Reducing sensitivity only seems to have a moderate affect for me and I try and never turn it down below 85.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
EMI is a pain...short of using the 9 inch coil, I think you're doing as much as you can. Reduce reactivity, lower sens and TX, find the frequency with the least noise and make sure to do the proper startup and ground balance we've all read about. Some sites are just plain noisy.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
EMI is a pain...short of using the 9 inch coil, I think you're doing as much as you can. Reduce reactivity, lower sens and TX, find the frequency with the least noise and make sure to do the proper startup and ground balance we've all read about. Some sites are just plain noisy.

Thanks.

I noticed it's worse with the 13" coil than with the smaller one. I also noticed that when I put the machine down and the coil kicks up and when I start using it again, it gets much worse. I think I will have to start using my CTX in the city because my head hurts from listening through all the popping and sputtering for 5 hours.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
In noisy spots sometimes I'll press the pinpoint button on the way down to dig--that sometimes silences the coil and provides a little reprieve while I dig.

shoover17331

Sep 5, 2008
Spring Grove,PA
Detector(s) used
XLT, Blisstool V3, Nokta fors, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found that full tones helps you eliminate aluminum. nickles and aluminum are about the same tone but nickles have a dull sound where aluminum jumps out at you with a bright hollow sound. It sounds too good it just gives it's self away.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found that full tones helps you eliminate aluminum. nickles and aluminum are about the same tone but nickles have a dull sound where aluminum jumps out at you with a bright hollow sound. It sounds too good it just gives it's self away.

I think you are right about shallow or large aluminum, but today I was running full tones and some of the shallow coins and even iron was sounding too good to dig. I do know that if you aren't getting a consistent signal both ways at least, and the numbers are jumping it is usually aluminum or something undesirable under the coil.

shoover17331

Sep 5, 2008
Spring Grove,PA
Detector(s) used
XLT, Blisstool V3, Nokta fors, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are right about shallow or large aluminum, but today I was running full tones and some of the shallow coins and even iron was sounding too good to dig. I do know that if you aren't getting a consistent signal both ways at least, and the numbers are jumping it is usually aluminum or something undesirable under the coil.
coins always sound like cleaning a window you know that squeak you get when it's clean. nickles just buzz for me. where I find aluminum is a mix with that nickle tone and a lite squeak.

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Gold,
Garrett AT Pro. Makro racer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been out about 5 times with my deus. About 25 hours so far. I haven't dug this much aluminum in a long time. they sound so damn good that i can't pass them up. I went from the at gold and pro and never ever dug one because of the tone. yesterday i told my buddy that i think i've got the machine down. i had a signal that was jumping around so i said to him "i'm going to dig the junk so i can prove i'm learning the machine". I dig it and out pops a British musket ball. I was upset, pissed and happy at the same time!!! I dug everything the rest of the day. Time to go back to the drawing board + re-read the manual(3rd time)and more field tests. Thanks guys for the great hints and tips!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Agreed! Alum sounds different. It takes time digging both and paying attention to the sound. Full tones make it even more obvious.

Making an exact program like you use and kicking down to 8 or 4 khz really helps.

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm considering a DEUS and live in a concrete jungle, my local dealer uses the DEUS, I've seen the chatter vids and asked. He's neither a minelab or DEUS dealet, He owns a DEUS and said the chatter is simply to high of sensitivity. If you're new to 18kh (I use it on my 705s, you'll learn those foil hits from gold. Turn The machine down. I'm curious if you can get it stable or not. This thread mentions not a single positive for the DEUS over the CTX, we could start with weight, cords, frequency shifting. I think this thread is more about, "my CTX is better"

XP-Man

Jul 28, 2014
Lowell, Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your comparing apples and oranges man. Every machine is different in their own ways. What u need to do is find out what ur looking for.

I hunt with a buddy that has a ctx and me and him Compare all signals one thing that gets him is on the ctx deep iron comes in as faint silver signals. The Deus goes over it and I can tell him to dig it or not. 9 out of 10 times its iron u can here how scratchy it is.

in a concrete jungle u gunna hit trashy areas. look at my past post and see how fast this machine really is and how it pics goodies between junk.

Vdi is good till 8 inches on my machine then it gets jump. but tone is the same.

I RATHER BE DIRTY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread