Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better than 10", I say that because I loaded a new program that was hitting a silver dime at 10" yesterday. Only thing I didn't like about the program is, although the tone was nice, the number was 98 (iron), makes me wonder how many dimes I passed up, oh well, lesson learned!

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
It varies with the detector settings, size of coil, ground conditions, etc. In clean ground (nothing else around and very little mineralization) I'd bet you'd easily hit a silver quarter with an 11 inch coil at 12+ inches. Find a dealer or friend and check it out.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
11"-12" max.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Deeper than I usually care to dig.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
Better than 10", I say that because I loaded a new program that was hitting a silver dime at 10" yesterday. Only thing I didn't like about the program is, although the tone was nice, the number was 98 (iron), makes me wonder how many dimes I passed up, oh well, lesson learned!

What freq were you using? Was iron present? One thing you can do on those deep repeatable signals is change frequencies on them and look for targets with precious metal content such as coins and jewelry to read higher with higher frequencies and lower with lower frequencies. For example, if it's not too deep, a dime in 4K may read 76-78 and in 12K may read 91-93 However, the deeper the target or co-located trash or iron, or even moderate to high mineralization, the less reliable any method will be of giving you precise information--you'll need to dig to find out. I've seen 98 on a mid-to-deep silver dime, and it was in 4K in the presence of nails....but the common denominator was that it sounded very good once I isolated it from the junk around it.

Another little tidbit of info....no two silver dimes in the ground are alike. Their juxtaposition, their metal content, their age, the soil they're in, etc., will fool you aplenty. Silver dimes often read and sound like pennies and pennies often read and sound like dimes (especially Lincoln cents). Barber dimes seem so have that effect on my Deus. I recently dug a surprise barber dime at 4-5 inches thinking all along that the 71 VDI I was seeing was going to be a penny of some sort...one clue I missed was the VDI hardly swayed even as I moved around the target....penny VDIs will often jump around if they're not too shallow.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the imput GG, makes sense, frequency was at 8 and no iron, I loaded the program someone posted on youtube, im sure youve seen it, the video where the guy has a woodenn box for a test garden, and has PVC pipes running through at different depths.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground conditions play such a big part in the depth that any VLF machine gets....just the other day i dug 2 .69 cal roundballs about 20 feet apart. The first gave a very faint, but repeatable mid-tone, it was around 9" deep. The next one gave about the same audio volume but wanted to give an iron grunt on every other swing. NUmbers were also lower....this one was only about 5" deep, but was in a patch of sticky, red clay soil. i was using an F75 not a Deus but was just making an example of how ground matrix can change depth greatly.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not as deep as my F75 lol.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
.....the number was 98 (iron), makes me wonder how many dimes I passed up, oh well, lesson learned!

Often times you'll read where some people notch out 97-99 to compensate against iron wrap around (I don't); this makes me wonder how your deep dime would have been received by the Deus. Would it simply false? Would there be silence? Or, would (as I suspect) the dime be forced into the normal range for that particular frequency. It's raining here today, otherwise I'd go test it.

Last edited:

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you're wondering the audio and numerical response if I had notched 97-99?

shoover17331

Sep 5, 2008
Spring Grove,PA
Detector(s) used
XLT, Blisstool V3, Nokta fors, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Often times you'll read where some people notch out 97-99 to compensate against iron wrap around (I don't); this makes me wonder how your deep dime would have been received by the Deus. Would it simply false? Would there be silence? Or, would (as I suspect) the dime be forced into the normal range for that particular frequency. It's raining here today, otherwise I'd go test it.
You can and not pass up any coin. You have to drop you freq. to at least 8Khz and turn ID normal off.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
You can and not pass up any coin. You have to drop you freq. to at least 8Khz and turn ID normal off.

No, I'm hypothesizing that the dime's audio and VDI would change without those modifications (maybe not the audio). I'll have to check that out either after it stops raining here, or waiting for an in-field opportunity. I've had a dime jump right up to 97 in 4K with ID norm off (never use it). If someone beats me to this test...would love to hear the results.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran it against all 4, with 8 having the best tone (full tones), it would not hit in 18, the 98 stayed across the board. ID off, always off with me.

OP
OP
S

skarmajunga

Feb 25, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Fisher F75
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher CZ7A Pro
Thanks for all the reply's :)

OP
OP
S

skarmajunga

Feb 25, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Fisher F75
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher CZ7A Pro
Not as deep as my F75 lol.

Whats the deepest you've hit? I picked up a new f75 ltd and it could not find a freshly buried quarter @ 8" in my yard, my cz7a pro could on the other hand, it kicked ass. Having said that now that the quarter has been buried 3 weeks my f75 can finally see it. Those cz7a pro's are quite the machine in their own right. My other test was a plastic container full of dirt with a freshly buried quarter at 5 1/2 inches, and a 2" bent nail above and off to the side. The f75 can not see it yet but the cz saw it right off the bat but only with disc wide open. I love that little cz, fisher should keep making them. They are fantastic little machines :)

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010

A friend of mine who's owned a Deus for several years still doesn't get depths he can count on past 8 inches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions