Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I'd share these HEAVY trash settings

So I went to my Grandparents (and before them Great Grandparents) property for an hour or so to walk off my dinner. Went to an area where a barn once stood, they burnt it down back in the 50's according to my dad, there's iron everywhere, everything from nails to unidentifiable large rusted globs, the sort of globs that blows the headphones off your ears every 2 feet. Anyway I thought if I pulled back some of the power (iron overloading) something may pop up so I loaded Disc to 4.1, Full tones, Sensitivity 73, TX power 1, reactivity 4, silencer -1, I managed two WWII great seal coat buttons, a few horse harness buckles and an old Dick Tracy cap gun. I know I've missed these things 30+ times from previous hunts. Although no great finds, the buttons were at 4", not bad for these setting I thought. The settings really helped to keep the big iron and nails at bay. Downside was a very slow swing, the sound of a machine gun in the headphones and very tiny wiggles were needed to find the buttons between the iron.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A VLF in iron trash saturated ground is at a huge disadvantage, so you did well with your settings and managing to make some good finds. Keep experimenting, and sharing any successes you have as many of us are interested in that sort of information. If you really want to clean out the area without having to dig thousands of targets I would suggest an old TR discriminate machine, as they have an advantage over the VLF's in iron trash with better see through ability. The Compass 77B is legendary for this, and has attained an almost cult like status amongst detectorists for it's ability to sniff out the goodies in iron infested ground. Cheers!!

shoover17331

Sep 5, 2008
Spring Grove,PA
Detector(s) used
XLT, Blisstool V3, Nokta fors, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Freq. were you using? I can give you a tip. Cut you reactivity back to 2 or 3 especially if you are swinging slow. higher reactivity levels require a faster sweep speed to get a better audio response. It will give you more depth and still have great target separation. Try it you'll see.

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah sorry, using 8, ive tried reactivity 2 or 3 in this area, not fast enough with this much iron, at least when i tried using Deus Fast, but maybe with the full tones and 12 or 18 it could be?

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah sorry, using 8, ive tried reactivity 2 or 3 in this area, not fast enough with this much iron, at least when i tried using Deus Fast, but maybe with the full tones and 12 or 18 it could be?

Why would full tones or a change to a higher frequency make a lower reactivity work when it didn't in 8kHz?

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding was thi higher the frequency is, the faster the targets get processed. Tones wouldn't matter with reactivity.

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding was thi higher the frequency is, the faster the targets get processed. Tones wouldn't matter with reactivity.

I have not seen that theory put forth or demonstrated before.

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Frequency in a metal detector is referred to in kHz (kilohertz, or 1,000 Hertz). Frequency is the number of times the signal is transmitted and received by the detector every second. For example a metal detector operating at 6 kHz will transmit and received 6,000 times per second; and at 50 kHz, this occurs 50,000 times per second."

I guess this is why I thought this would be the case with my guess that a higher frequency would be better with a lower reactivity, this is a statement from Whites web site.

shoover17331

Sep 5, 2008
Spring Grove,PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reactivity is not set by the Freq. you are using. If you get a lot of iron nail signals in a close proximity of each other you want a faster or higher reactivity setting. If signals a farther apart you want a slower or lower reactivity setting.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is I dug 2 buttons (1790s era) in heavy iron. I could hear them in reactivity 4 but not 3, this with 9" coil in both 12khz and 18 khz.

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Reactivity is not set by the Freq. you are using" - yes I understand this shoover, thanks. I'm with you TN, in my soil I think I MAY lose 1/2" in depth (9" coil as well) from going from 3 to 4.

shoover17331

Sep 5, 2008
Spring Grove,PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They don't mention the depth you loose. I can give you my results GB 76 silencer -1 Reactivity (R) 5 Max depth on quarter 6" (R) 4 max depth on quarter 8" (R) 3 max depth on quarter 10" (R) 2 depth on quarter 12" I don't have a quarter buried any deeper. I didn't think I needed to till the Deus. Max depth were barley audible in full tones. 11" coil sorry forgot to mention that.

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They don't mention the depth you loose. I can give you my results GB 76 silencer -1 Reactivity (R) 5 Max depth on quarter 6" (R) 4 max depth on quarter 8" (R) 3 max depth on quarter 10" (R) 2 depth on quarter 12" I don't have a quarter buried any deeper. I didn't think I needed to till the Deus. Max depth were barley audible in full tones.

I am surprised that the reactivity eats into the depth that much. I never go over 3 on the reactivity and usually keep it at 1 or 2.

I know in other posts, I have said the Deus is deeper than my CTX. After using my new one for about 50 hours so far this year, I don't think it is a deeper machine, but for the diameter/size of the coil, it is extremely deep. Unfortunately, I have not seen that much of a return on the 13" coil as the same as on the 9" coil. You would think the 13" coil would get 3-5 inches more but I don't see it.

I tell you a big difference that I notice between both machines are the sweep speed. I can work the CTX through trash, but I have to move the coil minimally and slowly to get it to work under those conditions. With the Deus, my first instincts are to work it the same way, but I found that it thrives better on a faster sweep speed. Too slow and it will not sound sometimes.

Last edited:

shoover17331

Sep 5, 2008
Spring Grove,PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I totally forgot to mention I was using the11" coil. When I bought mine it was a toss up between the 9 and the 11. Heath Jones who sold it to me said get the 11 it's deeper than the 9 almost as deep as the 13 but lighter, and it does almost as good as the 9 in the trash. So I got the 11 and holding out for the 6x8 this summer or fall is the latest rumor.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread