Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I joined the family today. :headbang: Any advise for a new XP DEUS user.
So I finally bit the bullet, and ordered a new XP DEUS from Wayne at Metaldetectingstuff.com:hello2: TODAY.
Wayne seemed like a really nice guy. I was impressed with his response time, his prices, and super fast shipping.
I just tracked it and should be here in 2 days.. Cant wait, and he threw in the Andy Sabisch book..
Ive been reading some here in the XP forums, and it has been helpful, but a lot of what you guys say goes right over my head, because ive never used a deus.
Was just wondering the best thing to do on my first hunt. 3 tone? Deus fast? Dig everything and learn tones?
Im currently using a whites, and before that, I owned an etrac.
Thanks all

Last edited:

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, you will love it! I think Deus Fast is the best program that comes loaded on the machine, I think you are right on with using that program, one thing you should change for sure is the frequency, it runs at 18, drop it to 8, 18 makes tiny bits of junk (aluminum / can slaw / copper wire / ect.) sound great, you will get frustrated digging all of that junk. 18 was made for Europe and the tiny hammered coins that are found in their fields. That's what I would do if I started all over again. Also change to full tones once you get comfy with the machine, it takes a while to get use to but makes a world of difference. I wouldn't dig everything, but I would dig everything that's 30 and higher on the VDI, and remember its a tone machine, if the tone is good and the numbers a jumpy, dig it! Good Luck!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely, listen to those videos. Learn to navigate the settings and literally adjust setting over your targets till you get the best sounds and then dig. Go at a snail's pace experimenting on the settings at first.

I used the Deus for almost a year and ran before I could walk with the machine. Only when I started to use the stock programs (basic) and took my time adjusting the settings did I really started to getting the most out of the machine. Remember if you have to "make" a target sound good or if you can only barely get a decent signal out of the target by swinging a certain way, than it is most likely junk. Getting good targets to sound well is almost effortless when you have the settings correctly balanced on the machine.

For me the higher frequencies, make the smallest items sound like deep, good targets. I have found BB sized high conductive junk thinking it could have been a coin on edge at 8 inches because I had the machine running at 17 mghz. It is good to run a lower frequency or have a lower frequency program to toggle back and forth to in order to eliminate some of the junk. It is one of the most sensitive detectors I have ever used.

Last edited:

chiefdanaho

Jun 6, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congradulations !! what size coil did you get ?

my best advice would be ---PATIENCE--I know that's cliché, and is over used sometimes, but it is a must for the deus to begin with.. You will probably love it, hate it, love it, hate it for awhile..If you stick it out you will ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT..
I would start in basic 1 and then go to deus fast after a hunt or 2..
Go back to all of your favorite spots and get all of those IH'S you missed..

good luck,
dan

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for all the great advice guys. I watched the videos twice. I read the owners manual, and now just starting to read Andy's book. Dropped her down to 8 kHz. Started out in basic1, then tried deus fast.
The machine is Super lightweight and portable, the WS4's wireless headphones are sweet, and not nearly as hot as my other Sunray Headphones.
As far as turn on and go, its pretty easy to use, and the 9" coil is super easy to pin-point with without using the pin-point mode.
I feel like its going to take some time learning how to adjust the settings to unlock the potential of the machine.
"Gota learn to crawl before you can walk"
Thanks for the Sweet deals Wayne and I love the free new t-shirt "Detecting Dillo" :occasion14:.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congradulations !! what size coil did you get ?

my best advice would be ---PATIENCE--I know that's cliché, and is over used sometimes, but it is a must for the deus to begin with.. You will probably love it, hate it, love it, hate it for awhile..If you stick it out you will ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT..
I would start in basic 1 and then go to deus fast after a hunt or 2..
Go back to all of your favorite spots and get all of those IH'S you missed..

good luck,
dan

It is still "early" in my second Deus, but your post reminds me, I have dug more "lower tone" coins with the Deus than with any other machines. Lower tone, or should I say lower conductive. What I mean is I dig nickels almost every time I get out and I dig a lot of Indian Head pennies, or should I say a lot for me. I have hit places hard with other machines, including my CTX and still usually pull a nickel or two or a few zinc pennies out. It could just be me, because I don't notch zincs out with my other machines, I just may be notching them out in my head. Anyway, the Deus seems to hit much harder on these targets.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! Feel free to call me and pick my brain. Be glad to help you!

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you Bart, Wayne, Pointman, Tedyoh, Silver Simon, Chiefdanaho, and all others who post here on my thread.
You may be getting a call soon.
I just started another thread about depth and Ggossage and Welgund has also been very helpful.
:occasion14: Fellas. I don't know what I would do without the help from the people at this site.

Also since im giving shout outs, id like to note that I had a small/minor issue with my coil charging clip. I spoke with Wayne, and he referred/gave me the contact info for the XP Service Guys at Detector Electronics in Southboro MA. I called the Service center and these guys were very courteous and helpful. They sent me a new clip free of charge, and it only took 2 days to arrive. In my opinion, service is everything, and these guys are on top of it.

Last edited:

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
Yes, be very careful of the clip and keep spare(s). I always leave the USB cable attached to the clip so I don't have to fiddle with the clip as much. I put the clip on the coil when power is NOT connected...I'm just paranoid, but I don't want any shorting occurring when I install the clip. I keep the charger on the wall outlet separated by a $3 flip switch and a timer so all I have to do is plug the USB cable into the charger, flip the switch and let the timer shutoff in a couple of hours.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats. Been hunting 25 years and its the best for me. I sold my CTX 3030, DFX and Explorer and the Deus is all I have now. Just read the manual many times and watch Gary's vids many times and stick with it. You should be pleased.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your prob best off to listen to the other folks on here because I am sure my settings are more like those used in the UK/ Europe. I dont know the last time I hunted a yard. Its been only farm fields for me these last few decades. I have zero experience at these kinds of sites with the Deus.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other

Last edited:

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Had: Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Bandito 2 uMax, Tesoro Bandito 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've had my deus for about 2 weeks now. I'm mainly a relic hunter, but I do a lot of hunting in the downtown area around construction sites that are absolutely infested with over 200 years of trash. to get used to the detector, I started out in my back yard, which has never been hunted. my house was built in 1957, so there is a good mix of stuff around the yard. anyway, I watched a few videos of how to change all the settings on the machine, and I was able to watch people use it, and listen to how it sounded. so, I started out in "basic". I wasn't really impressed, so I gradually started changing the settings to suit my needs. the more stuff I changed, the more I liked the machine. I copied a relic program from someone on the net, and it made a world of difference. I felt very comfortable with the machine after only 2 days in the back yard. I continued to tweak the new relic program, and it seemed to get better and better as I grew more comfortable with the machine. after practicing in the yard for about a week, I took the deus out on my first real hunt with it. I ended up downtown in some of the most trash infested areas you could imagine. I must say, the machine worked great. I tweaked a few settings as I went, and I was able to pick through the trash like nobody's business. the deus has really boosted my confidence when hunting. I really like the conductivity scale, and the option of choosing how many tones I want to hear. (I usually use 5 tone) I also love that I can set the pitch and the break points for the tones at any number I choose. it's like having 10 detectors in 1. I'm really, really glad I spent the money and bought this machine. in my opinion, the key for being successful with this machine, is setting up the proper program for whatever type of hunting you're doing, and what you want to dig. so far, I'm pretty amazed at the capability of the deus. of course, I still have a lot to learn about the machine. I certainly haven't mastered it yet. but, that will come with time. I agree with comments above about lowering the frequency. I usually run mine around 12, because I want to hear small civil war buttons. if you're mainly looking for coins, it wouldn't hurt to turn it down a little more. (unless you're looking for those small, roman, copper coins. anyway, good luck with your new deus!

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the Forums Corpsman. And Congrats on your new purchase.:thumbsup:
Glad to see you are enjoying your new DEUS.
Thanks for sharing your personal experience with the new machine.
Keep us informed, and start posting some pics. Would love to see em.
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread