Got out after work today....

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8-27-15 013.JPG

8-27-15 014.JPG

Made it out after work today and hunted until about 10:00. There were showers all around today but happened to dodge it today! It seems like lately every time I'm off work and ready to detect - the bottom drops out right as I get started!

Went back to "Play Money Park" where I found a couple of more promising targets last hunt, and started at the tot lot end of the park. Found the usual foil balls and a couple of can slaw fragments, as well as $0.16 in clad :headbang: I used an open 18khz program with Reactivity = 3 just looking for fresh drops and concentrating on those mid tones. I got excited when I came across the nickel - it sounded like it COULD have been a ring, but maybe next time! The 18khz program is very quiet and hits very tiny pieces of aluminum extremely well. If it picks things up like this, then a small stud earring or a necklace/bracelet will come in too - one of these days the tot lot search will hit big...

After searching the woodchips for a while, I decided to go back to the area where I hit the 7" deep piece of play money a couple weeks ago. Started off in 4 khz, Reactivity 2, Silencer 0, and heavy on the notch at 00-62. I usually don't hunt with this much notch, but the deeper beaver tails and ring pulls like to indicate like coins at 6" and deeper, so after a lot of experimenting to try and figure this out, I ended up lowering sensitivity and audio response in an effort to "cool off" on the deep aluminum hits:

4 khz
Sens 80
Reactivity 1-2
Silencer 0
Notch 00-62, 93-99
Audio Resp 3
Overload 1
Iron Vol 0
GB 85 Manual

At one point I slowed down the swing speed and switched Reactivity = 1. I got a faint high-toned hit without any VDI that didn't indicate on a cross swing, but decided to dig anyway. At around 7" I saw a copper rim - the first Wheat of the day! This felt good, since older recoveries are a BIG challenge for me so far in this soil - although GB readings don't differ too much from what I'm used to, deeper coins have been tough to locate so far. This 7" coin was only a whisper in Reactivity = 1 but I suspect there was discriminated trash nearby.

About 5 minutes later I got a similar target but this one bounced around 72-84 VDI. At 6" I found a folded-up beavertail, and moved on. Not far away I got a mid 70s low 80s signal, so I switched into Reactivity = 2 and the signal sounded almost the same. This one was the second Wheat at only 5" deep

From what I can tell so far - coins deeper than 5" in this soil are hard to VDI for some reason, and going by audio is the better choice. Not sure what's going on but I've been to about 5 different locations in town with similar results - deep aluminum targets sound "too good". Have dug a few pullttabs and ringtabs at 8" and beyond - and they sound like money!

Maybe dropping Sensitivity a little further will help, and I still need to get onto a permission for a real shot at some older coins....it's only a phone call away....

GL&HH

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Well,
It sure looks like you're giving it the old college try...
Good hunt.. 2 Wheats is a great day in my parks.
GLHH

Ps,
Make the call...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread