Driving Me Crazy.

Kilohertz

Feb 20, 2014
I finally decided to buy a high-end detector. I did some research and looked at polls and read reviews I decided that that you the minelab etrac was the best detector for me at the time for its depth and to distinguish targets at depth.

I have been using the compadre all this time decided to do things differently. I ordered the etrac from Kellyco and it will be here Wednesday! I thought about the XP Deus before the purchase but I heard from many sources that it's just not as deep or accurate at depth. However, I stumbled on some videos recently I have been watching on the XP Deus, especially reviews with the new bigger coils and I'm really confused now. I think it will go get deeper than the etrac with the 11 inch coil and people are able to distinguish deep targets by learning the tones.

I don't know which to get now, cant seen to convince myself to keep the etrac. Maybe someone has moved from the etrac to deus and has some insights, comments?

Preferences:

1. I want depth, I want to find old deep coins, gold, rings.

2. I want to be able to hunt in the water/shallow water.

3. I want to be able locate jewelry and do some gold prospecting.

I know the etrac will probably id deeper targets better on average but i dont know if that 1 thing is worth giving up everything else for me it seems.

I would appreciate any unbiased opinions maybe from folks who have both machines. Thank you!!

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kilohertz...
You need to take some downers man... calm down...
No 1 detector does it all... I have 5 right now. I have an eTrac and it rocks!
If you want a waterproof one for both land and sea you have 2 choices... AT PRO (had one sold it) or Minelab CTX3030...
You cant do it all with 1 detector...
CTX would be your best choice over all but it is very heavy and slow in really trashy areas...
That's when you need a lightning fast Fisher F75, DEUS or Teknetics T2...
You need at least 2 detectors to cover all of your bases...
Good luck!
Gary from Oregon

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Gary mentioned, there is no one machine to do it all well.

The Minelab Etrac Is very good at depth and accurate on IDs, but takes a slow swing speed in iron.

The XP Deus is fantastic in iron, but loses ID numbers sometimes at depth. The XP Deus will do a little better at gold chains than the Minelab E-trac.

Good luck on your search, and give me a call if I can answer any questions for you. I have many hours of use on both detectors.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought an etrac and I HATE it compared to the Deus - probably going to post it soon for sale for $1200, even bought a snake coil for it, I can just tell we are just not going to get along.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a F75 and a AT Pro. No complaints. I could own a Etrac. But a bum shoulder makes it hard for me to swing a heavy detector.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Etrac has a better ID at depth, but is slow, heavy and is wired.

I have used a Deus for over a year exclusively. It took a bit of time to get used to it, but it keeps getting better. I dug a Merc at 8"+ last weekend. The other boys had CTX, ATP and Explorer2... but had no silver coins. I had doubts about the depth, but after spending some time with Vino, the doubts were proven to be false. I saw him dig 12" targets with is Deus.

Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
Kilohertz

Kilohertz

Feb 20, 2014
Decided to go with the Deus. Thanks for the great advice guys.

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Casca ... I just bought one of these and its amazing... low cost and takes all of the weight off of your arm... Maybe this would help you too?

The Detecting Buddy A Metal Detector Harness Fits Minelab Whites Garrett Fisher | eBay

You know what else might work is a BlackRapid strap, similar to one I use with a very heavy Nikon camera lens. (Way heavier than my Garrett GTI.)
Google BlackRapid. Might need a bit of modification? Just a thought at the moment... I'd have to look at mine in more detail.

Casca - Guessing: Mid 50's? (Same here).
I've only recently realized that my "bum shoulder" is mostly caused by the way I sleep.
I was concerned about rotator cuff injury so I ended up doing some research (aka: "amateur self-diagnosis") on the web.
Well, after trying out some suggestions by several physical therapist types on YouTube, my problem is definitely impingement, not a rotator cuff injury.
I'll eventually get confirmation on that from a real doc.

But here's the thing: just by changing the way I sleep, downing some Aleve every now and then (for anti-inflamation), and a particular easy stretching exercise with a 5-10 pound dumbbell (I can describe if interested), and I almost feel 20 years younger. ("Almost") :laughing7:

But, if you're an Ex-Ranger with a parachute injury or something, afraid YouTube won't help...

Off topic: Are the Hatch chiles in season yet? !!

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Have owned a CTX 3030 (almost the same as ETRAC?) and although it went super deep I was able to learn enough about the Deus to tweak it and get it to go just as deep. This is in Eastern Maryland. May be different elsewhere. I spent considerable time comparing the two at heavily worked sites so was able to absolutely prove it to myself. This would be 11" coils compared together and then the CTX 6" against the Deus 9". There was a time I wouldn't part with my CTX but then came along the Deus. And the CTX was tough for me to swing past 3 hrs.

The CTX blows away the Deus on IDs. Heck just a little depth and the Deus is pretty useless for IDs. But I go by the tone alone and that doesn't matter to me. I hunt colonial and dig it all.

Congrats. Don't really think you can go wrong with either detector though. IMO Deus needs a 5 or 6" coil for getting between the brush and into very tight places (stubble).

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have owned a CTX 3030 (almost the same as ETRAC?) and although it went super deep I was able to learn enough about the Deus to tweak it and get it to go just as deep. This is in Eastern Maryland. May be different elsewhere. I spent considerable time comparing the two at heavily worked sites so was able to absolutely prove it to myself. This would be 11" coils compared together and then the CTX 6" against the Deus 9". There was a time I wouldn't part with my CTX but then came along the Deus. And the CTX was tough for me to swing past 3 hrs.

The CTX blows away the Deus on IDs. Heck just a little depth and the Deus is pretty useless for IDs. But I go by the tone alone and that doesn't matter to me. I hunt colonial and dig it all.

Congrats. Don't really think you can go wrong with either detector though. IMO Deus needs a 5 or 6" coil for getting between the brush and into very tight places (stubble).

Dont Worry CP, the new small coil is on its way!!!
Have you been out with the new Machine yet?

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dont Worry CP, the new small coil is on its way!!!
Have you been out with the new Machine yet?

Wow. Really? The XP Deus will soon have a small coil? That'd be great news.

No, haven't had the V6 out yet. Next weekend my wife and I will be headed to a colonial shipwreck beach just so I can mess around with it. But I went scouting some spots and know what colonial fields I'll be taking it to 1st. But still a few months way I'm afraid.

Its been a long time since i stopped into TNET. Man you have been killing it. What happened to the vids? Went and checked your Youtube channel but no vids.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Really? The XP Deus will soon have a small coil? That'd be great news.

No, haven't had the V6 out yet. Next weekend my wife and I will be headed to a colonial shipwreck beach just so I can mess around with it. But I went scouting some spots and know what colonial fields I'll be taking it to 1st. But still a few months way I'm afraid.

Its been a long time since i stopped into TNET. Man you have been killing it. What happened to the vids? Went and checked your Youtube channel but no vids.

Yes its going to be a 5×7 coil, and a new upgrade for the 4 frequency to quite it down..
Video are time consuming
I have some recorded, just haven't had time to put together.
Thanks Gary.
Ps, still haven't found a Cob!!!
Looks like I will have to come down to you for that??? Lol
George

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes its going to be a 5×7 coil, and a new upgrade for the 4 frequency to quite it down..
Video are time consuming
I have some recorded, just haven't had time to put together.
Thanks Gary.
Ps, still haven't found a Cob!!!
Looks like I will have to come down to you for that??? Lol
George

Gotta say, if true, I'm looking forward to that small coil.

You'll get a cob. They're all over here. But we don't get much military stuff. Still, I like cobs. :o)

Maybe this year you can come down and join me and the wife for a day in the fields.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta say, if true, I'm looking forward to that small coil.

You'll get a cob. They're all over here. But we don't get much military stuff. Still, I like cobs. :o)

Maybe this year you can come down and join me and the wife for a day in the fields.

Sounds good.
The small coil is true!! I heard it from alans mouth. The one that invented the XP.. On skype..At Andys Bootcamp.. so will see.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds good.
The small coil is true!! I heard it from alans mouth. The one that invented the XP.. On skype..At Andys Bootcamp.. so will see.

Awesome. Hope the new update wont affect how the Deus works now. I know that interface like the back of my hand. Hard to imagine any improvement there. But I guess it can always be undone.

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Had: Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Bandito 2 uMax, Tesoro Bandito 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm interested to see the update for running more than one freq. at once. I just wonder how all that works, and what it will do to custom programs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread