Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got out with my wife to do some colonial hunting Saturday and had been waiting to get into this one particular field. Knew there was an old home there. I'd not yet encountered a field with any real mineralization until this one. We have fine tuned programs and nothing worked here. It was pretty much like hunting a beach in the wet black sand. Wow. To top it off it was like baked clay so although we dug some tombacs and other colonial relics, we went elsewhere. I tried everything and just couldn't get the Deus to calm down without losing severe depth. Anyway, just wanted to share. Thought i had the Deus all figured out. Nope. lol

Will go back after the farmer plows and maybe I can tweak this thing under better hunting conditions. He plows deep too.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit my first farm field w the Deus on Saturday.
I used Deus Fast, but in 12k. Man was that a bad move!
The site has history, I have maps dating to the early 1800s, but I couldn't reach objects deeper than 4-5 inches. I thought it might have been from excessive fertilizers. Wrong! I reluctantly switched back to 18k and Shazam!!! Bits n pieces start showing at the 10inch range. I too learned a valuable lesson. Create any custom program you want, but leave the factory settings alone.
They work.
Peace ✌

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, this spot of the field is the same. For what ever reason 18 khz must be used or there is little depth. Even still its not that great. Farmer was plowing the field next to this one today so hopefully he gets on here this week. That would make it at least worth trying again. I'll try a factory program next time.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out with my wife to do some colonial hunting Saturday and had been waiting to get into this one particular field. Knew there was an old home there. I'd not yet encountered a field with any real mineralization until this one. We have fine tuned programs and nothing worked here. It was pretty much like hunting a beach in the wet black sand. Wow. To top it off it was like baked clay so although we dug some tombacs and other colonial relics, we went elsewhere. I tried everything and just couldn't get the Deus to calm down without losing severe depth. Anyway, just wanted to share. Thought i had the Deus all figured out. Nope. lol

Will go back after the farmer plows and maybe I can tweak this thing under better hunting conditions. He plows deep too.

Hey Gary, the mineralization bar on the right was blacked out?
I have that alot here in PA.
What I find that helps is 18k, sence at 85 or so, and the GB with beach on. Not much more you can do.
Its only good for 4inch or so under them conditions.
Oh also some disc helps calm it down, 2 or so.

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Vino. The bar at right is usually completely empty but higher than 1/2 on this field. Once he plows up will go back and fiddle with settings.

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Think I figured out whats up with this field. Kept finding all of these odd, heavy, red iron chunks as I got further back near the creek. This general area is known as "Cokesbury". Until now I had no idea (neither did anyone else) where that name was derived. Pretty sure what we're finding is COKE! NEVER encountered this before. Its not something we generally have to deal with. The dirt is reddish and gets worse the closer one gets to the creek/ swamp. Another piece of history rediscovered through metal detecting, maybe!

Here is exactly what we're digging up and maybe explains why we cant get any real depth on certain sections no matter what settings we use. Stability is the only thing one can hope for on these spots.

How is Iron Refined from Ore? (with pictures)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread