My current method for squeezing goodies from the iron beds...

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last year, right at the end of the season (my 1st with a Deus) I started experimenting with this method for squeezing non ferrous targets from the thick iron beds in farm fields. Saturday afternoon I was on a very old home site (my guess is 1680-1750 but still no coins to confirm) for an hour or so and hunkered down to concentrate on the area. What I did was turn the audio response to 7 but set the WS-5's headphone volume to 1. The reason for this is: I was running 0 disc, full tones, 2-3 reactivity (routinely changing it back and forth), -1 silencer and to top it off was running manual ground at 77- 80. One seriously noisy unit! So to tolerate the noise I did the above which tamed the low grunts while letting anything higher be fairly easily heard. But with this set up, i was methodically pulling some neat stuff from those beds. I'm convinced there are still quite a few nice goodies in there (maybe even a small silver) so will be headed back tomorrow morning to whoop its a$$ further.

Last year was running 6 audio response and 3 on the headphones but think I like this new set up better. Of course it wasn't very windy. For wind you might need to crank up the phones to 2 or even 3.

Also, with the manual GB so low it was necessary to use 3-5 clicks of ground notch to alleviate false signals created by the coil hitting the ground or stalks. To access this feature, while in manual GB, click the expert button which opens up the notch bar. click the + button about 3-5 times. Poof, problem sovled.

Just passing it on. Run with it and see if it helps you.

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Spent more than half a day at this site using this method again today. This place is chocked full of small lead balls. BB size, Buck and ball, pistol balls and some larger caliber musket balls. Must be 75-100 so far. Got another 4 buttons and some buckle pieces today. 3/4 of a trapezoidal, whitehead # 513 which is 1620 - 1650. A single loop sub rectangular dated 1500 - 1650, # 145. So this place is REALLY early but sadly no coins still. There has got to be a cob here somewhere! Also got a thimble and some odds and ends. Not sure why there are so many lead balls here but most ring up in the mid 60s so they sound fantastic. I dug signals constantly the whole time here. Will head back in a few days/

http://www.reenactor.ru/ARH/PDF/Whitehead.pdf

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sounds like an interesting aproach. Before my deus purchase in the spring, I was used to the porpotional audio of the at pro. So I run audio response at 2 and ws5's volume at 5-7. Then listen for the very faint high tones. I find the signals are much less distorted, yet subtle. So you need good ears. But with your exact same full tones settings, it works a treat for me. I too find no disc and full tones amazing. Using the 11" coil my deepest, smallest, silver coin find was a fish scale at a measured 9+ inches. Yes, it was a very subtle signal.

But yes, I do have some iron rich spots close by. I will have to try your settings and see how it goes. Do you run a low TX setting?

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This program works well but will drive you nuts after a while. So I would walk off into the less iron trashy areas for a little while to reset me brain. For what ever reason there were so many small signals to be had I bumped up DISC to 2 today. Today I ran TX power at 3 and it worked great. One thing is certain: this program doesnt work well using the lower freq. on this field at least Which is a shame since the 12khz seemed to knock out a lot of the chatter. But the signals don't come thru clearly with anything but 18. Drop to 4 freq and NOTHING WHATSOEVER.

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
interesting approach. i will try it. one thing i wonder tho is that having the reactivity at 3 really impacts depth i have found. i don't go above 2 and even 1 if i can and just go slower. even tho this machine has fast reactivity i find going super slow really helps especially when going over iron. i can hear the high squeak faster after just passing over the iron grunt...

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've only used this program at 2 sites. The one last year and now this site here where I just got the cut 1652 Massachusetts shilling. I did try the 2 reactivity but 3 worked better by making the signals clearer and repeatable. BUT with reactivity on 4 it just seemed to kill the depth completely. There is really no "right" way to do this. The real success comes from trying all kinds of set- ups and just beating the living daylights of the site. I post it here more to see if somebody can take it further somehow.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting approach. i will try it. one thing i wonder tho is that having the reactivity at 3 really impacts depth i have found. i don't go above 2 and even 1 if i can and just go slower. even tho this machine has fast reactivity i find going super slow really helps especially when going over iron. i can hear the high squeak faster after just passing over the iron grunt...

Putting reactivity at 3 only in packs VDI numbers, you still get audio, its just that beautiful wisper we all hope to hear. The silencer is what really kills depth..
Just what I have found out..
I personally dont like the response reac. 2 gives..
George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread