Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So there I was, searching fervently on ebay for a waterproof case for my Deus controller, when I found this.

It's a waterproof pouch that holds a cellphone. Also, it looks to be made to wear around the neck, which would reduce the weight of the Deus even further.

And for the $3.99 price tag, I couldn't pass it up. So I ordered one.

Anyone else here ever use one of these? And if so, what are your thoughts on something like this? It any good?

a34bf839e598769e495cdbede15ee438.jpg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should be just fine for keeping it out of the rain or a wave splash, but I wouldn't go swimming or shallow diving with it. If you are using the WS4 headphones which are weather resistant, you have a decent foul weather Deus set up there. So yeah, it is well worth the 4 bucks. I have a similar unit that also has an internal [supposedly] watertight connector so I can connect a pair of waterproof headphones to the pouch. Have not done an immersion test with it yet, though.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'll be... I had no idea that this thing even existed, frogmaster. Looks to be a lot better-made than the one I ordered, too. Thanks for the info.

And yeah, vferrari, it's just for the weather and not for total immersion.

Think I just might have to break into my piggy bank again and get this thing.

Thanks for the replies, guys...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a little pricey. If you just want weather protection, I think you are fine with your economical solution.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I'll be... I had no idea that this thing even existed, frogmaster. Looks to be a lot better-made than the one I ordered, too. Thanks for the info.

And yeah, vferrari, it's just for the weather and not for total immersion.

Think I just might have to break into my piggy bank again and get this thing.

Thanks for the replies, guys...

Can be found in Europe for approx $12 but seems to be very similar to other market solutions.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone suggested to me the "Aryca WS12B Aryca Tide Waterproof Case for Smartphones" which I picked up on amazon for around $35 (Amazon.com: Aryca WS12B Aryca Tide Waterproof Case for Smartphones - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories) When you bought your Deus there was a little clip that was over the mounting bracket. You had to slide it off to put the remote on. Well, I saved mine and I Epoxied it onto the back of the Aryca Case. SO the case clips onto the mount just like the remote would :headbang: The Aryca case snaps open and you drop the remote inside, then lock it closed and its completely waterproof.

Here is my machine after an 11 hour hunt in the rain a couple weeks ago. The case was awesome and held up to the rain and mud just great. It has a silicone front that you can see and push the buttons right through. Not bashing the XP armband product, but this lets you use your remote in the rain, in the same spot as its typically mounted.

IMG_20160223_174708461.jpg

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea on the waterproof case. I don't look at screen much unless I'm curious and use the tones but may have to try this with my remote. I use to being able to hunt in the rain with my at gold so this would be great for the deus.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually ordered the Aryca Wave earlier tonight. I'm hoping it fits like it does in the Tide. The only reason I didn't get the Tide is because they didn't have it in black on Amazon. Didn't want yellow, lol. Thanks for the heads up, OutdoorAdv.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually ordered the Aryca Wave earlier tonight. I'm hoping it fits like it does in the Tide. The only reason I didn't get the Tide is because they didn't have it in black on Amazon. Didn't want yellow, lol. Thanks for the heads up, OutdoorAdv.

Bummer man. The link I posted above ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NWGZIG ) says "Only 1 left in stock (more on the way)." Let's us know if the Wave case fits... if not, Amazon has an awesome return policy so I'm sure you could swap it out. I wouldn't want it in yellow either. Ha

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I didn't even see that one. Probably just as well though. The one I got was just under 24 dollars. I'll post here as to whether or not it fits. But I believe it will, because I think I saw once where someone else was using the Wave and it fit perfectly. We shall see...

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool... looking forward to hearing how it works. Here is the video where I got the idea for epoxying the clip on the back.

I got the case from the link I posted back in Dec and it was $31 back then... I thought it was a lot of money for a case too. The prices on Amazon will fluctuate up and down though. Just using it the one 11 hour day was worth it though... my gloves kept getting the silicone screen muddy so I was wiping it off with snow... and a couple times I popped the case off and dunked it in the creek to rinse it off. Right after I took that dirty picture, I hosed the whole machine down in the driveway. ha When I finally opened the case, the remote was nice and dry after all that.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great idea on the waterproof case. I don't look at screen much unless I'm curious and use the tones but may have to try this with my remote. I use to being able to hunt in the rain with my at gold so this would be great for the deus.

I also just use the tones. Most of my hunting is old home sites, so there are iron patches and trash pits, then 40 yards away its quiets down a bunch. Since I'll work my way between the house site and where the yard was, I toggle programs a lot. I also really like the pinpoint mode since it helps me isolate those really deep targets. So I end up using the remote a lot. The IDs are horribly inaccurate, and most of my targets are deep and don't even register a ID... but the tones are always spot on. I cant say enough good things about this machine. ha

You can actually turn the Deus into an underwater machine and get the antenna from XP (or you can make one). Then you can totally submerge the coil in a creek\river and use it in the same places you used your at gold.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I just received the case I ordered for $3.99 from ebay. It has more than enough room. I actually put my Samsung Galaxy S4 in there and had plenty of room.

Also, It seems to be pretty well-made, especially for that price. Has a lanyard for wearing around the neck. The clasps for opening and closing it are pretty nice. It would be virtually impossible to accidentally open it.

I have no doubts that this thing would keep the water out.

Not a bad deal. Now to wait on the Aryca Wave and see how it acts.

I can see where both of these cases would have their uses.

I'll post another review again next week when the other case comes in.

2fde12baaa23617e00350f86d4ee957f.jpg

Last edited:

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ARYCA WAVE is actually a better fit that the TIDE I've been using one for over a year now.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ARYCA WAVE is actually a better fit that the TIDE I've been using one for over a year now.

DAMN! Thats awesome news... I looked at the specs and the Wave is like .2" smaller in W and H. Now I wish I got that instead of the Tide... oh well... maybe when I wear the Tide out, I'll get the Wave next if XP doesn't have a similar product yet. The case is a little big, so having is even a bit smaller would have been nice. Great news for laidback4sho since his'll fit nicely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAMN! Thats awesome news... I looked at the specs and the Wave is like .2" smaller in W and H. Now I wish I got that instead of the Wave... oh well... maybe when I wear the Wave out, I'll get the Tide next if XP doesn't have a similar product yet. The case is a little big, so having is even a bit smaller would have been nice. Great news for laidback4sho since his'll fit nicely.
If it'll ever get here. They must be shipping it via Pony Express. :D

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Wave also got me thinking about another application I'd like to rig up.

Not sure how many of you are into gold prospecting, but here in New Hampshire, gold can be found in the cracks of bedrock in the rivers.

Now what I did was I got me an endoscope from Amazon for 24 bucks. It has a little camera with LED lights on the end of a 15' USB cable that plugs into an Android smartphone.

I use that to see down into those cracks and look for little nuggets.

I'm thinking about getting a case just for my phone so I don't have to worry about it getting ruined in the water.

I could drill a little hole in the case for the cord to plug into the phone. Of course I'd have to use a good bit of clear silicone caulking to seal the hole. Or maybe Gorilla Glue.

If you're interested in seeing the little device I'm talking about, search Amazon for "bluefire android endoscope". Very nifty little item...

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://r.ebay.com/6IzlgR

Just bought this case. 7.99 free shipping in the US. Took 2 days to get to me. Fits perfectly the only issue is that it's in blue only.
Wow, that's basically the same thing for a fraction of the price I paid.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread