Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
LCD display (control box) is a "yes".

The wireless backphones (WS4) are the deal. Period! They are ultralight, and you can hear the pinpointer and other sounds without removing them.

If you don't use the phones, you might as well save your money, and keep using the ATP. The Deus is all about subtle sounds, and you CAN NOT hear them through that 1.5" little speaker on the control unit.

I don't like the big headphones that cup your ears either... I used ear buds on my ATP. Wirelessness was the reason I left the ATP, and went to the Deus.

The only reason that they have those package deals, is so that they can publish a low price. people love thinking that they are getting a deal. The full blown Deus is cheaper than an Etrac... and spanks it with performance (looking around to make sure nobody heard me say that). Just my opinion... WS4, 9" coil and control box.

PM me if there is anything that I can do for you. Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
N

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting. I don't mind headsets it just seems with all the technology today wireless headsets should be in the $100 - $150 range. I'd hate to spend good money only to miss out on 1/2 of what I could find if I spent a few more bucks. I was looking at the LCD package with the wired headsets in the $1230 range

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wired, blah, I'll never go back to that after the deus.
Carolina Tom is right on all accounts.
+2 on the full package with ws4

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the basic package. I wanted the Deus for its lightweight and wireless headphones. I dont need the remote right now. Its more of a sound machine anyway. I want to spend my time digging targets. Not endlessly tinkering with the settings to decide wether to dig. I have made plenty of good finds with it both deep and mixed in with iron

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done a little research but not enough to make a decision on anything but I was wondering if the DEUS works well without headphones. Going with a wireless headset just isn't me. I am wondering of I should skip the basic package and spend an extra 500 for the LCD display

After it is all said and done, if I was just starting out with the Deus and going to have to choose between the three following options: Basic package with coil, stem, wireless backphones, "mid" range package with coil, stem, controller, and wired backphones, and the full up package with coil, stem, controller, and wireless backphones, I would choose the mid-range package if I needed to save a few hundred bucks and, if I could afford it, get the full up entire package. This is different than how I started out. I bought the basic package with the 9" coil (coil, stem, wireless phones) and then bought a full-up 11" coil package, with controller and wireless phones. I figured, if I was going to get the control box after all, I might as well get a second coil and buying a second set of wireless backphones was probably a luxury but allowed me to give one coil and a set of wireless headphones to the kids so they could hunt along side me at the beach. Though you can hunt without it, I think the controller is essential to setting up the machine beyond the default programs which are geared to European hunters looking for hammered coins and have some quirky noise reduction settings that reduce depth performance (e.g., the silencer). While the machine will work and can be effective right out of the box using the default programs as a starting point to learn the tones (and I recommend that is how you SHOULD learn the machine before you start fiddling with settings), to really squeeze maximum performance out of it, you really need to customize those default programs to get rid of some of those non-optimal settings, set up notch points, and the controller is required if you want to save those customized programs. So yeah, if you need to save a few bucks, I say the minimum setup should be coil, stem, controller, wired backphones.

A couple other words of advice, avoid the over the ear headphones (WS5's). Unlike the WS4 wireless backphones, the mini-controller on the WS5 is permanently affixed to the headphones and they are not water resistant. The wireless backphones, however, are water resistant and the controller on the wireless backphones can be detached and connected to different accessories (extra charge of course) that enable the mini controller to be mounted on your wrist or on the stem and with a mini-headphone jack adapter accessory you can plug wired headphones into it. Why would you want to do this when you can just use the coil and wireless headphones? After you custom program the coil with the main controller you can put it away in a safe or waterproof place and just use the VDI display on the mini-controller with your favorite set of MD headphones (or just go by sound with the wireless backphones). You can also plug the WS4 controller into a number of third-party over the ear headsets. My favs are Vance Muffs as they most faithfully reproduce the tones you hear in the backphones. Also, I recommend getting Andy Sabisch's guide to the Deus to really unlock its capabilities. Finally, in choosing between the 9" and 11" coils, I can't prove anything, but the 9" coil just seems "tighter" to me when pulling out target signals. I don't think there is much depth difference between the two and I seem to be able to pinpoint with the 9" coil better. Speaking of pinpointing, I almost forgot to mention that the pinpointing feature only resides on the main controller box, so that is another feature you miss out on if you just get the backphones, if that is important to you. Hope all this helps more than confuses. Good luck.

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the mid package with the remote and wired back phones. I may purchase the ws4 head phones soon but it isn't all that bad with the wired setup. I just think the wireless head phones are over priced in my opinion. I can set up my deus in a custom program and then put remote in my shirt pocket or pants pocket so I don't have to worry about the wire getting tangled with detector when digging. I don't look at the screen much because from what I've learned so far is the dues is def a sound machine and deep targets don't give you a vdi anyway. I hardly used the screen on my at pro or gold also. I haven't had deus long but have Andys book and learning this machine. Good luck with your decision but in my opinion the remote is a must have. Oh yea I got to the 11" coil also because I mostly hunt farm fields. I may get the new coil when it comes out though.

Last edited:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
The best deal is with the WS4 headphones which is really the original philosophy of the DEUS with the remote control. The RC makes you have more control on the DEUS and can be left in a pocket or at home.... it is really a "plus".

Enjoy this fantastic machine

FM+++

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe the Deus was only offered in the full $1,900 package for the first few years. The decision to offer the set without the box was a response to price objections and many people going to ATP for 1/3 the price. I believe that going without the box is a sacrifice that I am not willing to make. We love this hobby and if detecting is your "thing", don't sacrifice.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I won't say its ano sense.... rc can be acquired later and Deus still remains the best machine available on the market....

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought a used remote on feebay. It is nicer with the remote but i may just make up some custom programs for the headphones then resell. You dont need the remote to hear that deep sweet silver sound

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could work (Sabisch uses his remote to custom program peoples coils that come to the bootcamp), but the only drawback to that approach is that if a sw update rolls down the pike later, you might need to reprogram headphones again to modify those custom programs again if you choose to invoke the update. I really use the remote in the field to quickly switch between custom programs when evaluating a target (as I described elsewhere) and for pinpointing, so the remote is virtually indispensable for me now. Also, since it has a headphone jack, you can plug in a pair of wired phones should your WS4's crap out in the field for some reason.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
if this is not the proper forum, dont mind being moved by moderator. pulling the trigger on XP Deus today with WS-4 wireless headphones, full package. have choice between 9 and 11' coils. opinions? rather just have one for now, they are expensive. i detect in the woods and fields (and parks sometimes). i am a woods guy so i realize smaller may be better for that.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The deus is the best relic machine made period ,9 inch coil Rogue I have both best all around and its very deep. Ok if your gonna buy a deus get the whole deal you guy buy the WHOLE package ws5 ????.?? and ws 4 ????.?? and had a dealer offer it to me for 25.00 cheaper than that and said he would sell it for that any day of the week. Buy the WHOLE deal or wait and save your money till you can. I have the ws 4 and ws5 I like the ws 5 because im a tone guy and I can hear better with them and they are more comfortable to me. I have the lite setup too and it doesnt compare to having the remote, you can find a deal on a new deus if you shop around. Hey Carolina Tom I heard what you said and I now have its big brother the 30/30 but let me log a 100 to 200 hours on it and I will post a in depth review.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
I have both the 9" and the 11" and hunt with both.
The 9 when hunting in heavy trash and the 11 for the more open hunts.
Both do a great job. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
I've been hunting in the open and moved to heavy trash with the 11" and had no problems finding the targets and the same goes for the 9".

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have both the 9" and the 11" and hunt with both.
The 9 when hunting in heavy trash and the 11 for the more open hunts.
Both do a great job. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
I've been hunting in the open and moved to heavy trash with the 11" and had no problems finding the targets and the same goes for the 9".

ordered my Deus today, from Big Boys Metal Detectors. i recommend anyone go to them as they really take care of you. Great prices also and will PRICE MATCH any competitor. cant beat that. my deus should be here by Friday and I be digging relics with it on Saturday. thanks to all in this forum for the advice and counsel! cheers!

angleofattack

Aug 9, 2015
West Point, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Euro tech pro dd, xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought the mid package with the remote and wired back phones. I may purchase the ws4 head phones soon but it isn't all that bad with the wired setup. I just think the wireless head phones are over priced in my opinion. I can set up my deus in a custom program and then put remote in my shirt pocket or pants pocket so I don't have to worry about the wire getting tangled with detector when digging. I don't look at the screen much because from what I've learned so far is the dues is def a sound machine and deep targets don't give you a vdi anyway. I hardly used the screen on my at pro or gold also. I haven't had deus long but have Andys book and learning this machine. Good luck with your decision but in my opinion the remote is a must have. Oh yea I got to the 11" coil also because I mostly hunt farm fields. I may get the new coil when it comes out though.

I just did the exact same thing!:occasion14:

angleofattack

Aug 9, 2015
West Point, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Euro tech pro dd, xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just pulled the trigger on the Deus and wounder what accessories I need? coil cover? control protector "which one" and what else? Im hunting fields parks yards and woods

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
not sure i really needed the wireless headphones. i really do not like headphones. never wore them for my AT Pro. yes, you can hear deeper targets and all that, but the cord drove me nuts as did how big and uncomfortable they are. so, with the deus and the smaller cordless headphones, i may start wearing them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread