scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only got about a half hour before work to mess around with it and wow! Waaaaaay different than my V3i! Menu seems hard to navigate, instruction manual is vague and the information on the home screen is a bunch of jumbled up numbers and symbols with no labels. ....not really what I was expecting for the $$$. And full tones sounds like someone rubbing their hand on a balloon, squeaky annoying! What do I need to do to get this thing under control?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would first recommend getting Andy Sabisch's handbook re the deus as it takes a lot of the mystery out of the equation. Regarding Navigating the menus, yeah its a pain at first until you invest some time programming your own custom setups so all you have to do is hit the +/- button to nav between them while in the field and even delving deeper into them becomes more intuitive and second nature. The real beauty of the deus is that you really shouldn't have to do much button mashing at all once you get it programmed to your liking. Most of all, it is just going to have to take hours in the field to train your ear to the beast. I use 4 tones or gold field with a single vco "tone" and have yet to try full tones other than to test it out. Full tones, to me, is not a good place to start out with the Deus, but is a great destination to work towards as you ultimately unlock its capabilities. After a year with the sucker doing all kinds of hunting with it (beach, shallow fresh water, coin shooting, and relic hunting), I am STILL learning what it is trying to tell me, but that hasn't kept me from experiencing some great finds as I continue to learn and be amazed at what Deus capabilities are still left to be unlocked... As you clock those hours in the field and with test targets/gardens, then a lot of the how to posts and valuable information nuggets on the forum begin to make sense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks buddy, everyone here really seems to love the little squeaker lol! I will soldier on!

victorysgold

Feb 24, 2008
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 3.2, Garrett Propointer II,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Stay with it. I had a similar experience with mine when I started out. Now, 6 months later, I'm killing it! Pulling civil war bullets out of areas that have been pounded with AT Pros. You have to memorize the sounds.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I want from V3i to Deus too. The Deus has 1/10th the menu of the V3i and about the same loss of complexity.

If you struggle to get the Deus under control, well, you didn't understand the V3i at all, IMO.

(Pecked out on my 2014 Galaxy Note)

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watch the videos on youtube did more for me than the book garys expert training videos had mine for 3 weeks now and have had it on full tones the whole time and im learning the language. the little squeaky sounds are the good one if your cherry picking trash.Ive studied about the machine a good bit and its really not that complicated if you put in the time . trying to read the manual by itself would have been a problem but combined with the book and videos its really not that bad and the sounds well im getting used to them too. mades some killer finds with mine already it is a pain getting used to the sounds. ive got a suggestion if you have an old faithful detector with tones you love try to set the deus up to match them but im hard headed so I just went with the full tones so I could get used to it now and not have to go thur a learning curve again later .

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want from V3i to Deus too. The Deus has 1/10th the menu of the V3i and about the same loss of complexity.

If you struggle to get the Deus under control, well, you didn't understand the V3i at all, IMO.

(Pecked out on my 2014 Galaxy Note)

I would say that I understand the V3i pretty well, have found alot with it and I am very comfortable cruising through the menus and changing settings on the fly according to the hunting conditions. .the thing that I don't like about the V3i is the masking and slow recovery speeds. I also believe that the depth of the V3i is lacking in my soil..so I am going to try the little squeaker for a bit, but keep an eye out, if this detector doesn't start to grow on me a bit, it will be for sale soon enough lol.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How long did it take you to decide that the V3i was just not doing it for you (swing hours)? You should give the Deus the exact same amount of time, at least.

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The V3i is a great detector, thank God that I kept it, I probably have over 500 hours on it. I am just looking for something different, I do plan on giving the Deus a fair shake, at least one full season, which will be next winter. I would just say that my first time playing around with it in the yard, I was a bit suprised at how it sounded and felt...I will give it a true test soon when I hit my days off. In the middle of Four straight 12 hour nights at a steel mill, right now

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a fair shake then. I would definitely start out with fewer tones and probably the Deus fast program.

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - 11" coil ~ TRX bullseye ~ Predatortools Intrepid ~ Predatortools Raptor ~ Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sounds like a fair shake then. I would definitely start out with fewer tones and probably the Deus fast program.

Agreed, or might sound silly but basic1 was great to me to start with!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, or might sound silly but basic1 was great to me to start with!

Agreed, nothing wrong with basic 1 or 2 to start out and get used to the Deus which is what I was using at the beach when I first got the Deus. That is, till I figured out what I was potentially missing due to the unfavorable sensitivity and silencer settings. These default programs (including Deus fast) are great starting points and basic building blocks for building more sophisticated and optimized custom search programs. But jumping directly into the deep end is not advised since it ca be pretty overwhelming and frustrating. Crawl, walk, run applies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread