help! ground notch?

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - 11" coil ~ TRX bullseye ~ Predatortools Intrepid ~ Predatortools Raptor ~ Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit ground balance (G.B.), manual, and then expert. Hit the + to add to it, normally 85 takes away anything for me. You can keep going if you are getting feedback.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive found that farmers can spray/spread stuff that causes my Deus to act up when field hunting

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit ground balance (G.B.), manual, and then expert. Hit the + to add to it, normally 85 takes away anything for me. You can keep going if you are getting feedback.

it doesnt affect performance does it?

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - 11" coil ~ TRX bullseye ~ Predatortools Intrepid ~ Predatortools Raptor ~ Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it doesnt affect performance does it?

Nope! It shouldn't give up any depth or performance at all. It seems like you find people on here to say otherwise about every suggestion, but everything I have read and tried have not impacted performance at all. As opposed to discrimination, which can impact performance.

Keep me posted on how it works out for you!

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i will thanks!

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So here is a dumb question, what's the difference between ground notch and regular notching?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a dumb question. Ground notch notches out a specific ground conductivity so that you can null items like hot rocks. Regular notch notches out specific Target ID ranges so the are not audible so you can ignore foil wrappers for example (note that although notch, notches out the audio, the TID number will still display on the remote). If you are going to use full tones, it sort of defeats the purpose to use notch.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use full tones and always notch 1-15 and I do not hear the lower iron grunts and it doesn't come up on the VDI. Are you sure that info is correct? Or am I missing something lol..

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont use ground notch it does affect depth I tested it myself and it did in my test garden. I made this post 8 months ago and alot of things have changed since then. One being experience with the machine now I would just shift the frequency for the problem I was having when I posted this post. btw if your notching to 15 you might be leaving some good targets behind sometimes the deus will vdi 4,5,6 and it respond tonal wise with a sound just above iron and it will be a good target hiding in the iron.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use full tones and always notch 1-15 and I do not hear the lower iron grunts and it doesn't come up on the VDI. Are you sure that info is correct? Or am I missing something lol..

Austin,

You are right regarding notch at least when notching out low iron. No audio and no TID # on the display AND no horseshoe iron display - which was surprising. However, if you Disc out iron in the same range then you will get no audio (in full tones) but will get the TID and horseshoe indicating iron. In multi tones with iron audio you will get iron audio in the discriminated range and the indications on TID and horseshoe unless you set iron audio to 0. BTW - Why do you use notch vice disc when you are merely notching out iron? I don't notch anything anymore, but I could have sworn that when I used to notch out iron wraparound at the high TID's 97-99, I would get those numbers but no audio. That is hard to replicate manually because you have to find an iron object that will wrap and that takes some trial and error.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Austin,

Why do you use notch vice disc when you are merely notching out iron? I don't notch anything anymore, but I could have sworn that when I used to notch out iron wraparound at the high TID's 97-99, I would get those numbers but no audio. That is hard to replicate manually because you have to find an iron object that will wrap and that takes some trial and error.

Man that's funny. When using Full Tones I used to notch 97-99 too and would also swear I would get numbers but no audio. Not really sure that is the case however but that's how I remember it. Anyway, I've gone to Multi Tones, stopped notching and assigned a low tone to 97-99 instead.

Agreed. Austin you might as well just set your Discrim to 15 instead of notching 1-15. You get the same result.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Things may have changed with V3.2? that's why your remembering it different.The reason I do not set discrimination at 15 is I have read over and over discrimination will make you loose some depth? So my "deep" program is
freq - 7khz or 4khz
iron audio - 0
TX - 3
silencer - -1
notch - 1-10
manual GB
Full tones
Sensitivity 93-97 [emoji846]
Reactivity 1-2 1 for more depth but slower swing speeds

I think of it as an all metal mode but I notch the iron out.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only ever used ver 3.2 (I've only had the Deus for 2 years).

As far as depth performance is concerned, I don't think it matters whether you notch out iron or discriminate it. Andy Sabisch does not say one way or the other (he says they accomplish the same thing, but it may be preferred to notch out high TIDs which you can't do with Disc without masking everything below the highest TID you want to mask, hence notch. He NEVER says that DISC affects depth). But I personally would rather be able to see the numbers and the horseshoe so I would go with Disc in that range (if I didn't want to hear it - but I have disc at 0 or 1 at full tones anyway and no notches so its moot for me). Note also that Iron volume/audio has no effect in full tones. It is only used in multi-tone modes to provide lowered discriminated iron audio (or no iron audio) when using discrimination. I always say, listen to what others have to say and experiment when you can but if something is working for you, stick with it until you find something better. I think you are making some great finds with your setup so no reason to change unless you see something you want to try out. HH.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh I am learning, and enjoying it. Taking the Dues to some unhuntable areas due to heavy iron and really enjoy the fact I can change the machine from a "relic" finder to a "iron sifter" in a press of the button. I have more confidence this machine will sniff out good targets more so than others I have used in the past. I have seen it with my own eyes otherwise I would totally call BS on the Dues and happily take my $$$$ back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread