Last Couple of Hunts....

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't been hunting as much lately as I'd like to, but each time out I can't say it wasn't worth the trip! Ground has been difficult up until a couple of days ago, and late last week I got back to the park for a few keepers. Tried a new-to-me area and found a few deeper coins, including a war nickel at 8", and inches away came the OK tax token.

Dug plenty of small aluminum as per usual, I've just come to accept it as LIFE! :laughing7: Wandered over close to where a couple Barber dimes had been found last year, and got a clear "68-70" indication while running the usual 4kHz program. At a depth of 8" out came a nice green Indian cent which tumbled into a handsome example! It seemed like things had dried up a little, but over the weekend rain was in the forecast....

SAM_2586.JPG

Made it out Monday - racing the clock since there were t-storms in the noontime forecast. Got up early and was out detecting around 7:15 which I haven't done in some time....Had a forum member meet me with his CTX3030 and we decided to compare those iffy hits. Started out a little slow, with all of us digging the dreaded small pieces of aluminum. I got a faint but smooth signal and had Mike check with the CTX - where I only get audio info the CTX was giving a bouncy 12-41 12-43 and sometimes 12-38 readings. We both called "high conductor" and around 7-8" I pulled two stacked Indians dated 1893 and 1906. Both were heavily encrusted with corrosion and were perfect tumbling candidates trying out a new medium....

Here are some before and after pics of the Wheats and Indians - and also the new tumbling medium: SAM_2590.JPG SAM_2592.JPG SAM_2596.JPG

As we hunted on, the clouds grew thicker and more ominous, and I got over another faint one but this had a VDI of 60-65. Mike got a pretty solid 12-35 if I remember correctly. At 7" down another Indian showed itself, dated 1903. We went on to hit a couple more Wheats each, and finally Mike got a sweet sounding 12-43....I scanned with the Deus and got a slightly jumpy 80-85 but the audio was undoubtedly saying "Silver!" I will leave it there - it's Mike's story to tell 8-)

www.findmall.com/read.php?86,2294934

Finally we all got rained out with pea-sized hail - a staple of Colorado weather in May - but plan a return visit very soon!

Last edited:

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great hunt must have been a good comparison are you getting a ctx now lol

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds! the audio on that silver I bet was sweet.

OP
OP
CZconnoisseur

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great hunt must have been a good comparison are you getting a ctx now lol

Probably won't get a CTX but it DOES identify deep, smaller aluminum better than the Deus. I haven't tried the non-motion audio disc mode in a while - it gets deeper on coins but it's a touchy program requiring a lot of on-the-fly adjustments. May try it out today...I'd love to skip the small aluminum if possible but there's only one way to be sure on some targets :icon_scratch:

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
CZconnoisseur,
That's a great hunt and comparing of signals.
Your finds and info are always a great read.
And Mike pulled a beautiful coin.
I have a question on your new tumbling medium.
Do you run that dry or better yet how do you set-up your tumbler??

OP
OP
CZconnoisseur

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CZconnoisseur,
That's a great hunt and comparing of signals.
Your finds and info are always a great read.
And Mike pulled a beautiful coin.
I have a question on your new tumbling medium.
Do you run that dry or better yet how do you set-up your tumbler??

It's tumbled under water and inside of a Gatorade bottle - I lost the original rubber tumblers long ago. the Gatorade bottles work well and are of course expendable - they last for months.

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - 11" coil ~ TRX bullseye ~ Predatortools Intrepid ~ Predatortools Raptor ~ Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have really wanted to get out and compare signals with another high end machine, but haven't been able to yet. Love the story, thanks for sharing.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the story about two of my favorite machines. I checked the dime story out on your link and it is a good looking coin. I am glad your friend is waiting to have it fully cleaned, but I bet it is in Fine condition or better.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's tumbled under water and inside of a Gatorade bottle - I lost the original rubber tumblers long ago. the Gatorade bottles work well and are of course expendable - they last for months.

Taylor nice going on the older deeper coins! It's fun to compare detectors side by side on different targets.

What is the tumbling medium that you're using in the Gatorade bottle with coins? How long did you have to tumble to get the Indians that clean?

tabman

OP
OP
CZconnoisseur

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's simply copper wire cut into 1/4" to 1/2" lengths - there's several ounces of it inside the container, and fill it with water, then tumble. Takes several hours for some coins while others only take 1-2 hours. Depends on the amount of corrosion present

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread