Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This site just refuses to give anything up much,ive hunted it a 100 hours or more and ive got 2 flat buttons,a 1902 barber quarter,and a small eagle cuff button that was found while trenching. The problem is the trash the house was lived in up until the 1990s and there is a 50 yard perimeter of it around the house it sounds like a machine gun going off everytime you move the coil. I know something good has to be here there are way to many non ferrous targets in the ground for it to have been hunted much but those targets are just modern trash and old pieces of copper and such.Anyone had a site like this before? I am a trash hunter but this place takes the cake any suggestions? DSCN1052.JPG DSCN1055.JPG DSCN1056.JPG DSCN1057.JPG

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are my favorite places to hunt.......use 8khz,crank up the Reactivity to 5 and have at it....forget about deep stuff.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did bump it up to 4 today but when I checked my tx it was on 3 dont know if I hunted all day like that or not usally have it on 1 in that kind of trash. I will try that when I go back.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
It depends how much time you want to spend, and access for others, but at a minimum I'd be marking out a 5' x 50' grid starting at the two high traffic areas and relieving the ground of every signal the machine indicates as non-ferrous, and any ferrous at the top 2". Then I'd clear the top layer of all shallow signals front and back up to two inches always rescanning after recovery.

Nice property to hunt. Good luck.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 1750's house with the same problem. I use the standard size coil. This is the third year and we're just starting to turn up 18th century items, but not many.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 1750's house with the same problem. I use the standard size coil. This is the third year and we're just starting to turn up 18th century items, but not many.

wow 3 years . Im gonna grid a section off and try it but this will be a back up spot . as far as I know im the only one with permission to hunt it so its not going anywhere.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't run the Reactivity too high (use just enough) and you can try and lower the sensitivity and adjust it as you go. Essentially, detect in layers and see how that will do. I have pulled some miracle finds out of places like that even though they are frustrating. Work slow and at different angles before moving to the next spot.

You have to tune your ears for the short bleeps and check your readings. I was able to pull a 1908 Morgan dollar out of a place like that last year and it didn't sound good because the trash was clipping my high tones with the CTX I was using. Earlier this year, I found a Buffalo and a 1930s token out of a place that had a carpet of nails at about 4 inches by working slowly and going over and over an area.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips will try it.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posted this in the Teknetics forum also because I was using a Deus and some FTP detectors at this site (Fisher F75 and Tek Omega), but I too am just starting to hit an 1880's Farm House and surrounding property in South Central VA and am running into the same problem. Lots of trash, especially mason jar lids, driving me nuts. I think me and the new owner who is just starting to get into the hobby with my guidance are just going to have to clear out the trash to get to the keepers underneath. Couldn't believe that we only found three or four coins and they were all modern including a 2013 Zincoln that was down 6", go figure! But yeah, I am thinking it is going to be a few years before the property starts giving up the goods based on the trash layer so far. Oh and regarding Tx power - I am not sure you need to dial it back just because of trash. I would dial it back if the soil is highly mineralized, because I consider mineralization the "fog" that disperses the "high beams" (i.g., high Tx power settings). I don't think it is a problem with trash unless you just want to limit detection depth (but I would simply dial back sensitivity in that case, since that provides you with more precise depth "control").

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It helps with the audio when you scale it back when your using full tones and I believe the machine unmask better with this setting sen 86 tx 1. Gary the one who does the expert training videos on you tube has a post on another forum about this, ive tried it the machine does way better imo when you cut the tx back and sen down. Full tones is way better this way it takes the fruit salad out of the audio. I believe the thick trash is like the fog theory it sees better with low beams. Hey if you go read let me know what you think about what their saying. Of course im talking about in the middle of the thickest trash. Just invited a guy to hunt with me whos swinging the mx sport so let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you are using full tones then that makes sense to dial it back to reduce chatter. I have not ventured much into full tones so I only reduce TX power if I am getting chatter due to mineralization. Good to know when I decide to make the full tones plunge. Thanks.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread