Best xp deus headphones?

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - 11" coil ~ TRX bullseye ~ Predatortools Intrepid ~ Predatortools Raptor ~ Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know this is not a new question or a fresh debate, but I went back a few pages on the deus forum and couldn't find this question recently. I have the ws4 and I am looking for the best set of comfortable and best sounding headphones. I have a large head (because of my big brain I assume... lol) and the ws4 headphones really press on my head around my ears.

I know there are a couple key names out there and tons of reviews, but I respect the views and opinions of the people on here that I have come to know.

Which headphones are the best?

Thanks in advance, Dan

OP
OP
GrandBlancDig

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - 11" coil ~ TRX bullseye ~ Predatortools Intrepid ~ Predatortools Raptor ~ Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The general consensus is Vance. Mine sound great.

Glen

That is what I have read. The only downfalls I have heard, has been that they are not comfortable able a while of wearing. The speaker sticks out and presses against the ear. Have you experienced this at all?

Thank you for the feedback

culverjb

Feb 15, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Tesoro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a pair of Vance headphones & I love them. As far as comfort they are great & the sound is crisp.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned WS5 and WS4 Deus headphones and purchased a set of Vance headphones,a couple of weeks ago and highly recommend them.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ws4 frames are somewhat pliable, have you tried shaping them to fit your head? I love mine, far more comfortable for me than full over the ear setups. Although if they are tossed in my trunk and have weight pressing on them, the frames are quick to deform (see above) into a not so comfy fit that needs adjustment. Guess their flexibility is a blessing and a curse.

culverjb

Feb 15, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Tesoro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't like the WS5 headphones at all they won't stay on your head very loose & the sound wasn't that great

OP
OP
GrandBlancDig

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! I appreciate all feedback and still open to any other thoughts.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Vance phones sound great, but even with my smallish head, they feel a little tight pressing on my ears after awhile compared to the WS4 backphones. Hoping they just mellow out with time and use in the warmer weather as I just picked them up over the winter. Gray Ghost's Deus ws4 module units sounded muddy in comparison. You can also make or buy the Deus ws4 headphone module adapter thingy (~$20US) and plug in any wired headphone you desire. Since you are plugging into the ws4 module which you can then place it in your pocket or strap to your arm/wrist and you are still wire free from the main control box mounted on the Deus detector pole. You can also obviously plug any set of headphones into the removeable main control box, but depending on where you then place the control box, you could lose your continuous view of the vdi and control buttons if that matters to you (you can obviously always just leave the control box on the pole but then you are tethered to the pole like more traditional detectors or you could even jerry rig a method for mounting the WS4 on the pole to restore VDI since it displays the conductivity numbers as well if you don't want to spring for or make a ws4 headphone adapter). The flexibility accommodated by the Deus ws4 module in regards to the shear number of options available to you regarding headphone configuration options is just amazing. I personally would just stay away from the WS5's because XP did not make the WS5 module removeable for some unfathomable reason so you are then permanently locked into using only the WS5 phones if you want wireless or are buying a third party set of phones you have to plug into the main control module (or buying the ws4 backphones) all of which seem like a springing for the ws5's in the first place was a waste of time and money. But if you are happy with the one trick pony WS5's in the first place, then no harm, no foul. I personally like the myriad of configuration options supported by the WS4's.

Last edited:

BILLW

Greenie
Sep 16, 2015
SW lower MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett ATX, Whites Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Vance headphones, they are great, if you want full size headphones. I also bought a good set of Bose earbuds, these in my opinion allows you to hear the most faint signals.

Ono

Dec 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello

I have the Vance headphones, they are great, if you want full size headphones. I also bought a good set of Bose earbuds, these in my opinion allows you to hear the most faint signals.

What model of Bose?

Can anybody tell me the Vance specifications, or others of very good sound quality, for Deus? I'm in Europe and due to taxation bla-bla the Vance's will be more then double + no warranty... so...

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is now another option for the deus Andy Sabish got some in but I believe you can find them on your side of the pond. quote from andys post. The two after-market phones that accept the WS4 puck are the DetectorPro Gray Ghosts and Vance Phones and both have camps of those that opt for one over the other. The biggest comment is that the audio on the DetectorPro is not quite a clear as from the XP speakers and the Vance phones are tight to some users. When we are the XP Rally in the UK this September, we saw another option - the Central Soundz Wireless Whispers - that was comfortable to wear for hours and provided XP-quality response to targets. The mounting piece is also custom made from carbon fiber rather than using the XP adapter piece.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread