What is the DEAL with nickel VDI numbers?!?!

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
11.7 and 17.6 both produce a wild variation of vdi and tone signals on us modern nickels. With 17.6khz if the coin is anything more than 1-2", tone fluctuations and wavering vdis run from 47-62 each sweep wavers. Tone matches the variance in vdi. Is it metal composition of the nickels which causes this or the fact that it's just a poor conductor?
It is the only us coin that produces this wide array of vdis aside from a rotten zincoln. Anyone else experience this?

OP
OP
CoilToTheSoil

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug over 50 nickels the past 2 hunts and this is a constant. Different sites, same results.

11.x + 17.xkhz
2 discrim
0-25 notch
2 reactivity
0 silencer
83 sens
11" coil

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had practically no time to swing the Deus this month, I am interested in all of the info and questions that are asked....wish I could help, but I am scheduled for knee replacement surgery in two weeks. ..going to beach hunt some this week then I will be done for the year sadly

OP
OP
CoilToTheSoil

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best wishes on the replacement brother and good luck out on that beach!

It's more of an oddity or annoyance, the vdi fluctuations. Due to the specific range the variations fall into (just below pull tab but above most foil), I can predict with fairly high accuracy when it is a nickel. But I'd like to heat what other users are seeing with their machines on buried nicks. I'll have to air test and see if I get similar results while air testing.

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels are weird in any frequency on the Deus - I run 4kHz most of the time, and a clear, unobstructed, shallow nickel will read anywhere from 35-38 on my machine. If the same nickel happens to be 5-7" deep, I'll get a high-tone hit with variable VDI ranging from mid 30s to low 70s. If they are deeper than 7" I will get only a high tone, and switching to 8khz will sometimes help with stabilizing the VDI in the 40s or 50s.

Dug a Buffalo the other day at around 6" and it was a non-VDI high-toned hit. It had the round sound of a coin, but no readout - those are the signals I always jump on!

Only the nickels are slightly less sensitive while running 4kHz, using the other frequencies will "light up" deep nickels much better. 8 and 12 kHz are about neck-and-neck as far as nickel sensitivity, but for me these frequencies love deep iron a little too much....

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoilToTheSoil

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal, just the nature of the beast. Appreciate the confirmation!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread