My very first video debut

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol.:director2:

Took the Deus to an abandoned building for a root around inside. Nail heavy to say the least.

9:00 mark is a point of interest for me.

Otherwise an uncut typical Deus hunt that shows how I fish small targets out of thick multiple target trash with a simple effective technique.

Obviously need to improve my camera skills...this was done freehand with a sony handycam.

All comments, questions, and especially criticism accepted. :thumb_up: :skullflag:

Mahskeeter

Jun 18, 2016
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting working the coil like that. It was definitely infested soil and you kept it locked on the target.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seen you had reactivity on 2 when you started and then I heard the targets I thought in my mind needs to be on 3. I have coins in my test garden that will only hit one way too they are surrounded by iron. Swing one way nothing and turn on it then it shows up.like the wiggle move you use will give it a try.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the comments. I want back to shoot another video today, but a family of squatters took up temporary residence....so I let them be.

That place is challenging for an 11" coil. The Deus did excellent all considered. I ended up with 7 coins total in an hour and a half...with 3 on the video. A six, or five inch coil would be deadly in highly contaminated spots. Also, as commented in the video, any pinpointer XP releases without discrimination capabilities is going to be a mistake, and little better than my wireless TRX, or the wireless Carrot :laughing9:... the video supports this view IMO.

Glad the technique may be of value. The tip-down-twist coil manipulation reduces the footprint near the tail of the coil and helps isolate targets. Another method I use that's similar, and might even be on the video, it keeps the coil parallel to the soil and the shaft 90 degrees perpendicular, then rotate the wrist rapidly and tightly in an effort to destabalize the tones as a trash indicator. I use that one in the parks on jewelry, mostly.

Calabash, the reactivity was adjusted from 2 to 4 somewhere around the 10 min mark. The Deus, coil size for coil size, reminds me of a Bloodhound on the hunt. I believe, as most also say, those conditions are where the Deus truly shines, and is squarely at home in it's niche. :icon_thumright:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw you move it to 4 ive never hunted much with mine on 4 might give it a try had a fear it would shorten the tones too much but looks like it works pretty good. I use a 100 dollar go pro hd to film with works reallly well and you can mount it on your head or tripod. This what I learned about shorter videos are better people tend to watch them more. I break mine in parts now to keep them short I try to go 10 mins and under.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
All good advice. Yes, I agree about the short videos. I was in the process of chopping this one up when I changed my mind to show the un-cut portions. My thinking was I should just release a real naked hunt video and hide nothing... even my forgetting to change silencer back to zero when I bumped the reactivity up. I knew I forgot something, lol.

I'll be keeping most videos 15 min. or less in the future.

What editing software do you prefer?

I was working in lightworks, but had issues upon export, so I got angry and dumped it into windows movie maker to complete.

I have Adobe Premier CS4 not installed, just wanted to try a different NLE. Probably will go back to Adobe since I'm at home in Photoshop and Illustrator.

I looked at go pro's at the store. I really want to mount a camera on my shoulder so I held off on the purchase. Is there such a mount for go pro?

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just edit inside of youtube of course I cut my camara off on each dig so I might hace 50 videos on each hunt before I upload to youtube I delete the ones I dont want to use. go pro has a chest mount and ebay is the place to buy them imo I bought mine for 80 or 85 bucks its the 149.00 one.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say if you are swinging that slow in that trash you do not need your reactivity that high. In my experience a high reactivity with slow swing speed ends up with the tones being clipped more than they have to be, because of how fast the coil is taking that snapshot. You could also be missing a good target with all that activity, swing speed and reactivity. You appear to be working in a very small area and a slow swing speed. I think a reactivity of 2 (or even 1) is plenty under those conditions and swing speed. I have found that tones start to get clipped at s reactivity of 3 with my swing speed. You will find that the good tones are a lot more pronounced (at least I did when I tested over a good signal amongst trash) with a slow swing speed, because the coil is taking a longer snapshot. Also are you wiggling the coil back and forth to pin point at the tip of your coil or are you trying to get it centered? I find it a lot easier to wiggle it forward and back until the signal strength tells me it is directly centered at the tip of the coil. Since you are using your pin pointer to locate before you dig, that tells me you expect all targets to be shallow...maybe I missed it but what was your TX power and sensitivity set at? I would also play around with your silencer as well since -1 is probably not needed unless you expect to cherry pick a deeper target.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for the response, jadocs. I'll try to address your points.

This was an experiment at filming while detecting, second attempt, first freehand. I anticipated all experience levels of deus users might watch this, and I assumed some who don't own a deus might watch, so at those times when I'm crawling the coil along, what I was doing is slowing down for the noobs. Those slow crawls are for deep targets, normally. So, anyway some people can't stand full tones at low disc as it's too busy, some have machines that can't hunt these spots, so slowing down allows the viewer to better understand the picture under the coil and soil. I tried to anticipate something for everyone so to speak.

Clipped tones happen in iron, just a fact of the game. "Clipped tones" from reactivity being too fast....never to my ears. Ex: Reactivity changed from 2 to 4 on a dime.. and the tone's pitch rises slightly, and becomes shorter in duration to my ear, that's all. I think it depends what one's ears and brain can process, or is accustomed to.

Missing good targets? Very likely. The goal was never getting it all, or I'd bring a sifting table... :laughing7: Also, it's an 11" coil in severe trash and iron nails, and at any given time there may literally be 15 or more individual metal items under the coil, so it'll never find it all without digging it all.

You think that sweep speed is slow for the trash density?....hmmmm., interesting observation, but I'm not sure to what speed you refer, as I varied the sweep speed as explained above. I feel I personally don't require more pronounced signals...unless it's not signaling at all when it could, or should (like at the 9 min. point), I just need to hear a bit of the signal. I hear them just fine, but there are so many I have to pick some, so I tried to dig nickle tones and higher only.

I'm also not sure if you are talking about pinpointing, or isolating the target (looks similar I suppose). If target isolation, then that's when the coil barely moves and my hand/controller appears having seizures. Looks strange probably, lol. It's harder to do with the controller attached, btw.

Otherwise...

I always pinpoint with the coil leading edge, and use a tight, fast wiggle while backing off the target. On very deep faint signals, then I may use the pinpoint function. I used the TRX to show the accuracy of the wiggle off method, demonstrate closely located adjacent targets/signals, general trash level on a micro vs macro scale, and recover the intended target among that trash faster(hopefully).

I really didn't know what to expect as I've never hunted there, or been there before. Virgin site hunt to me. I decided to record it for myself for practice as I've never made one, ever. Upon review it seemed interesting enough to show the world...in it's Blair Witch Project style. :headbang: :laughing7:

TX 1, Sensitivity 82.

When using silencer on any level, I hear in my backphones (I wasn't using in the video. not used to that!) the tones get degraded in quality. I hate the silencer for that reason alone. I'd permenantly silence the silencer if I could. :evil7: That's how valuable the silencer is to my ears. Not using the backphones in a brick echo chamber was not helpful with tone characteristics either.

I'm open to suggestions, but how exactly would I benifit from the silencer settings in this environment?

I'm planning another go around Wed. if the squatters have left. I may put tape over the TRX speaker, bring a few machines, mark targets, compare signals, and dig em' up...with the video rolling. 1 1/4 mi. hike in then out....load$ of gear, isolated, alone, danger possible...ooh rah!

No sneaky, sneaky, sneaking up on me. Trilene and spray paint can perimeter tripwire system is how it'll be done. :icon_pirat:

Last edited:

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally understand now thank you!

I thought your swing speed was fine, just didn't understand the higher reactivity that went with it. It's interesting that you get a higher tone (on a dime as an example) with higher reactivity. I'll have to pay more attention next time I hunt to see how it sounds to me.

As I watched more of the video it became apparent that you were pinpointing with the leading edge.

Thanks for the TX and Sensitivity, makes perfect sense.

Understand about the silencer. I guess it's a give and take kind of thing...hear everything or silence it enough to not make you crazy in that amount of trash.

Keep posting the vids!! I think it's great!

One piece of advice I will give is, you need to open up with a cool song though like Calabash ;)

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I totally understand now thank you!

I thought your swing speed was fine, just didn't understand the higher reactivity that went with it. It's interesting that you get a higher tone (on a dime as an example) with higher reactivity. I'll have to pay more attention next time I hunt to see how it sounds to me.

As I watched more of the video it became apparent that you were pinpointing with the leading edge.

Thanks for the TX and Sensitivity, makes perfect sense.

Understand about the silencer. I guess it's a give and take kind of thing...hear everything or silence it enough to not make you crazy in that amount of trash.

Keep posting the vids!! I think it's great!

One piece of advice I will give is, you need to open up with a cool song though like Calabash ;)

I know I said pitch changes, and it does rise very slightly it seems, but to be more accurate in my language and probably the reason I also feel the pitch rises slightly is because the timbre changes. Probably should examine that more myself, actually.

What songs are cool? I like most everything and have loads of mp3's from the days of Napster.:skullflag:

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What songs are cool? I like most everything and have loads of mp3's from the days of Napster.:skullflag:

I'm no expert. As long as it's a catchy tune it will work, I'm sure Calibash will chime in with some good ideas :)

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the video! That was some TRASHY ground, wow!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread