Grrrr! Bottlecaps!

veemaxx

Dec 22, 2015
Raymond, Ne
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, BH Tracker 4, XP Deus, (CTX 3030 sold due to elbow pain)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

sixspeed24

Sep 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a YouTube search called "Ignoring bottle caps with the XP Deus",...it's a pretty good video.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been running in the x-y screen mode almost exclusively for the last couple of months. Bottle caps make the line go bonkers as I wiggle off off the target, coins and rings drop off suddenly from a straight line. Can slaw can look pretty good but the line is never as thin as what a coin or ring makes.
I hear that some people love that screen, and I must say that I liked it when I first heard of it, but after trying it, it seems that it is simply showing me what I'm hearing anyway. Is there more to it than that?

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do a YouTube search called "Ignoring bottle caps with the XP Deus",...it's a pretty good video.
If I found the right one, it requires having ID Norm turned off. I have it turned on, and the only TIDs I really know are the 18K ones. I'd be lost if I had to re-learn TIDs for another frequency! How do you guys do that? You can't ignore the TID altogether, can you?

veemaxx

Dec 22, 2015
Raymond, Ne
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, BH Tracker 4, XP Deus, (CTX 3030 sold due to elbow pain)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear that some people love that screen, and I must say that I liked it when I first heard of it, but after trying it, it seems that it is simply showing me what I'm hearing anyway. Is there more to it than that?
You may be right about that, I am a little tone deaf and may be missing the small nuances between a coin and some can slaw but I can see it on the x/y graph as a widening of the ends of the line. I can hear the buzz of bottle caps usually but the can slaw still tricks me. Since I mostly jewelry hunt I usually end up digging a lot of iffy signals.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just for giggles see if you can borrow a Tesoro Outlaw or a Bandido II with an 8" or smaller concentric coil. Bottlecaps?...What bottlecaps? Those detectors will ignore the caps, and still spot a dime, right next to 'em.

For any of you having troubles, see if your setup can pass the "nail board test".... If not, you may wonder how some other setups seem to do it so well.

I've made the mistake of taking the wrong detector, which was also equipped with a small DD coil, to a nail infested, gravely spot...thinking it would work well in the mineralized soil around there. If I'd taken my Outlaw or Bandido with the small concentric, I could have pulled out 3 times as much.
I'm not trying to sell anyone on another brand of detector, just saying that a concentric coil just may be the thing to try... ^_^

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do you all avoid bottlecaps with the Deus? I've owned mine since July and being retired and single, manage to get out for at least a couple of hours almost every day. I've tried the "wiggle", I've tried discrimination, I've tried tweaking iron volume, tried to listen for the "scratch" but nothing seems to work. Yeah, *sometimes* "the wiggle" will work for me, but I end up digging anyway just to be sure.

The only thing that I've read that I really haven't tried is to use frequency-shifting, but I have avoided that because I use ID Norm, and run at 11K most of the time, so turning it off would require learning a whole new set of TIDs, plus re-working the break-points for my tones settings. Also, I occasionally run at 8K so that would be a whole 'nuther set of TIDs to learn.

Do most of you run in Full Tones, and just go by sound and ignore the TID values? And how reliable is frequency shifting when it comes to identifying bottle caps?

Do the coil drag back method of pin pointing or the "Minelab Wiggle" and listen to the audio when it drops off the front or back of the coil. I use this method anyway to pin point so it really helps identify them for me.

Audio audio audio!

Hauptmann aD

Greenie
Jul 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The XY graph usually shows messy disadjustments on bottlecaps, therefor it helps really.

Some bottlecaps are better than others, if it comes to the amount of "good" metal on top of the iron, so it is really hard to distinguish them from good objects.

You can also run into the situation, that a good find and a bottlecap are located near each other, so by ignoring the obvious bottlecap signal, you ignore also the good find.

Another way would be to up the GB to 3 or 4, but this will cost you serious depth.

And all this doesn't help against the full non iron metal bottlecaps.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The XY graph usually shows messy disadjustments on bottlecaps, therefor it helps really.
Guess I'll have to have another look. My impression when I tried it was that it was just showing me what I was already hearing.

You can also run into the situation, that a good find and a bottlecap are located near each other, so by ignoring the obvious bottlecap signal, you ignore also the good find.
Tell me about it! This summer I dug a bottle cap with a coin inside of it! Had a picture but can't find it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions