Deus Emrgency Charger Question. Which one do you USE?

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well last weekend i had an issue with my coil not taking a charge.
I hunted one evening, and put the coil on charge that night.
The next morning my coil was almost dead.

Im assuming the charge did not take, as this has happened before, but not that often.
This time it was pretty aggravating, as i was 45 minutes from home, and on a new site.
I had to use a back up machine after my deus coil died, which i really did not want to do, but was left with no choice.

So now im thinking maybe i should purchase one of those backup emergency chargers, but which one??
I know XP makes one, but i have also heard there are other E-chargers, that will work just as good or faster.

So, what do you guys use.?

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a USB backup battery, the AA emergency charger, car charger, wall charger. I use the car charger when hopping between spots, and the USB battery backup in a pinch. Have yet to use the factory AA backup.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These chargers are not floating chargers. Sometimes leaving it on charge for to long can do more harm then good.
When a cell goes. It may take a charge but it drains fast. You may be a candidate for a new battery.
As far as back up. The charger wire you got with it will plug into any phone backup power supply that isn't for Apple. They cost $10.00 and up. You can get them almost anywhere now.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just about any external phone charger battery with a female standard usb plug will do. I have a little rechargeable phone battery that has a solar panel on it and usb plug that I just biner clip to my backpack and it has enough juice to charge the coil if needed. Any emergency cell phone battery should give you at least a few hours of coil time. XP says that the emergency 1.5 volt alkaline cell charger will get you 1 to 2 hours of swing time after 15 min of coil charge and about twice that after 30 min. A normal empty to full charge cycle using the normal charger takes about 90 min according to XP.

Regarding your overall coil battery condition. When you plug your coil in overnight before a hunt make sure that the flashing led on the coil goes solid, which means it should charge to completion (and the coil will disengage the charger when full and start blinking again). Unless the kludgy XP coil charger clip is disturbed (i.e., not clipped on securely and then physically jostled) the coil should take a charge. If it is not taking a charge when properly connected and the coil is either brand new or > 3 years old, then I would consider executing the XP 5-YEAR warranty and have them ship you a replacement coil (the battery is potted in for water tightness and is not user replaceable). Battery infant mortality is possible on a new coil and the very first XP Deus' coils from 4+ years ago were known to have some reliability problems. The coil is rated for over 400 charges before overall capacity drops to 80% which means it should last several years with average usage. hth and happy hunting.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well last weekend i had an issue with my coil not taking a charge.
I hunted one evening, and put the coil on charge that night.
The next morning my coil was almost dead.

Im assuming the charge did not take, as this has happened before, but not that often.
So... it isn't just my imagination, hmm? I thought I was screwing up somehow, and I have vowed to check the indicator when just starting out after a fresh charge, but always seem to forget. I do always check the coil LED after attaching the charger, so I know I'm not messing up there. But as with you... this has happened multiple times to me.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So... it isn't just my imagination, hmm? I thought I was screwing up somehow, and I have vowed to check the indicator when just starting out after a fresh charge, but always seem to forget. I do always check the coil LED after attaching the charger, so I know I'm not messing up there. But as with you... this has happened multiple times to me.
I think i have owned my XP for a little over a year and a half. The 11" coil is a little bit newer. I bought everything new.
I always check my indicator light when i put on charge. Then periodically check it throughout charge when possible.
Sometimes i notice my light on the clip will go from full light to flashing when on charge. I believe this is caused from a bad connection from the clip to the coil.
Sometimes i clean the 2 brass points on the coil and the clip. The charging clip is the second i have owned, due to me being rough with the first one.
I think you have to be cautious when making the connection, and make sure you have a good connection, as sometimes it will stop charging.
Most times it will charge just fine, but you have to pay attention and make sure it takes a good charge.
Otherwise you will be caught out in the field with a low battery.
I charged it this past week and it worked fine all day. Had a great day by the way. Ended up with some nice civil war lead, and a rare Alabama button.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-union-burnsides-more-university-alabama.html
Considering purchasing an E-charger now, because i dont want to end up with a dead battery during a hunt. Even though im careful charging, it can happen.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing you can try is checking the coil battery on the remote indicator by firing up the remote controller before you leave on your way to the site and if the overnight charge failed for whatever reason, you can charge it on the way to the hunt site with the e charger to save some time when you get there. I agree that you have to make sure those coil contacts are cleaned up and the clip is secure when you charge. Watch out for smart e chargers that will shut off if they do not detect significant current being sucked out of the charger. The charge current for the coil tapers off quickly and a "smart" e charger may shut off as a result prematurely ending the charge before the coil is topped off.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just about any external phone charger battery with a female standard usb plug will do. I have a little rechargeable phone battery that has a solar panel on it and usb plug that I just biner clip to my backpack and it has enough juice to charge the coil if needed. Any emergency cell phone battery should give you at least a few hours of coil time. XP says that the emergency 1.5 volt alkaline cell charger will get you 1 to 2 hours of swing time after 15 min of coil charge and about twice that after 30 min. A normal empty to full charge cycle using the normal charger takes about 90 min according to XP.

Regarding your overall coil battery condition. When you plug your coil in overnight before a hunt make sure that the flashing led on the coil goes solid, which means it should charge to completion (and the coil will disengage the charger when full and start blinking again). Unless the kludgy XP coil charger clip is disturbed (i.e., not clipped on securely and then physically jostled) the coil should take a charge. If it is not taking a charge when properly connected and the coil is either brand new or > 3 years old, then I would consider executing the XP 5-YEAR warranty and have them ship you a replacement coil (the battery is potted in for water tightness and is not user replaceable). Battery infant mortality is possible on a new coil and the very first XP Deus' coils from 4+ years ago were known to have some reliability problems. The coil is rated for over 400 charges before overall capacity drops to 80% which means it should last several years with average usage. hth and happy hunting.

I had a weird thing happen to me last week. I went to charge up my 9" coil for the weekend (last weekend), plugged it in and got the solid LED as I always get when its charging. I went to bed, and went to unplug it the following day.... but it still had the solid LED :icon_scratch: Typically it takes a full charge and goes to a blinking LED in a few hours or so. So I unplugged it and decided to charge the 11" coil... which took the charge and toggled itself to a blinking LED. I switched the charger back over to the 9" and after an hour or so it went to blinking LED. :dontknow: So I dunno what happened there... perhaps I have a battery that is having an issue taking a charge. But it eventually did (after disconnecting and reconnecting it) and I used it for 5 hours on Sat with no problems. The LED told me it was hooked up and charging, it just wouldn't "finish" its charge.

In regards to the emergency charger question. The coil battery is a 630mAh lithium polymer battery. So like everyone says, any USB powerbank will work just fine as long as the capacity is over 630mAh... which I don't think you can even buy one under 2,000 mAh anymore! ha If you want to charge the coil, remote and headphones, then 630x3 is 1,890mAh... so you'll need a power supply with a capacity over that for charging everything from dead to full. I have a couple small battery backups around 3,200 mAh and one huge one at 20,100 mAh. I use the big one if I go detecting\camping to top off the Deus and my phone while I sleep.. and that ones so big it could keep me charged for a week! But the smaller ones I've actually used to charge the machine while its in my trunk on my way to a site. They're all cheap on amazon, and really any USB charger will do.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bumping a rather old (but useful!) thread. I just want to make sure before I plug my Deus into my car phone charger. These things are too expensive to experiment with. I have a USB phone charger & power supply that plugs into car's "cigarette lighter". I can use that to charge up my coil or my headphones or my MI-6 safely?

Also, somewhere around the house, I have one of those rechargeable battery backup units... the kind that you charge at home with USB, and then can use it to recharge your phone in the field. Will that work as an emergency charger for the Deus?

I think that I'm a reasonably smart guy, but please explain this to me like I am five. I know that USB is supposed to be Universal, yet I don't trust that completely.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bumping a rather old (but useful!) thread. I just want to make sure before I plug my Deus into my car phone charger. These things are too expensive to experiment with. I have a USB phone charger & power supply that plugs into car's "cigarette lighter". I can use that to charge up my coil or my headphones or my MI-6 safely?

Also, somewhere around the house, I have one of those rechargeable battery backup units... the kind that you charge at home with USB, and then can use it to recharge your phone in the field. Will that work as an emergency charger for the Deus?

I think that I'm a reasonably smart guy, but please explain this to me like I am five. I know that USB is supposed to be Universal, yet I don't trust that completely.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of good info on the back-up chargers. I think I'll get me one of those! I have already purchased an extra coil charging clip just for safe measures. What I will be needing is an affordable cable with a USB plug on one end and a plug on the other end that will fit the charger coil clip. Is that particular plug found on any certain brands of phones etc.? I know that XP has one you can purchase for an arm and a leg. LOL

tabman

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of good info on the back-up chargers. I think I'll get me one of those! I have already purchased an extra coil charging clip just for safe measures. What I will be needing is an affordable cable with a USB plug on one end and a plug on the other end that will fit the charger coil clip. Is that particular plug found on any certain brands of phones etc.? I know that XP has one you can purchase for an arm and a leg. LOL

tabman
Now, that question, I believe I can answer. That would just be a simple USB to micro USB cable. https://www.amazon.com/Micro-USB-to-Cable/dp/B004GETLY2

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Car charger should be ok for Deus components as long as it just puts out the USB standard +5 VDC on the output of the USB plug. Coil will stop drawing charge current automatically once charged (same with MI6). Neither draw much in the way of charge current so the source components should be ok too.

Cuyamaca

May 2, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus
AT Pro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. Good catch. Yes. I agree it is a mini-B plug that you want.

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
XP Deus coil charging clip
I highly recommend this charging clip for your home charging needs.
It is MUCH better than the stock charging clip!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread