Deus tecnology.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet most machines will be wireless shortly or have the option. I think it comes down to dollars and cents, Until companies like XP and minelab started coming out with new things there was no need from a business standpoint. Most of the American companies were making money. Then these folks come into the game and start making a dent in their pocket book which has and will continue to force everyone to be competitive or go broke. I relish Competition, It is great for the consumer..

With all that being said IMO I see a lot of people Jumping on bandwagons for just about every machine not realizing what others can do. Fact of the matter is run what you enjoy and get your coil over the top of goodies!!

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do wish they would make a 5 or 6 inch coil for the deus. My hunting partner used a t2 for years he got sold on the deus when he saw what I was doing with it and I havent seen the t2 in months his was very chatty older one.I get that a 5 inch coil will get places a nine wont sometimes and would love a small coil just for those special occassions. I have places where the iron is thick and its been picked thru on the surface and the keepers are about gone for surface hunting and thats where you break out the screen and dig the pit. Found 2 king georges in a trash pit in feb. 1740 and 1737 best pit we have dug.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing is certain. No one machine really does it all. You need specialized machines for saltwater; gold prospecting; relic hunting; coin and jewelry detecting. :skullflag:

ijon

Greenie
Jun 28, 2015
michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 28-RC-WS5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just used my Deus yesterday. I had a Bounty hunter sharpshooter two before, so I don't have anything really to compare the Deus with. But I was really happy with its performance. I can't believe how deep some of the targets where Not only that but I found all the cables and lines I ever run. The metal detector really helped yesterday to get my mind off a upcoming event in my life. I got totally immersed and forgot about my problem. It was great therapy. I was out there all day. The detectors lightness is really a factor.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its my therapy too. Hope all goes well with you and yours. in my prayers.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, it's funny. You put three guys in a farm field, one with a CTX 3030, one with an XP Deus, and one with a Tesoro Vaquero, and their chances of coming up with some nice keepers are exactly the same. :skullflag:
Its very easy to say things like that and not say why . I dont know the teseros but I traded for a cortes as your aware and only have put it in my test garden btw no learning curve to set it up really simple unit . If all teseros have the same audio which you told me they did then your at a disadvantage from the other 2 machines you named unless your digging everything including iron because in my garden a 4 inch nail sounds the same as 5 inch quarter. I was told you can tell the difference by the tones smoothness or something which would be utterly immpossible in a bed of nails imo I cant even tell it on a quarter at 5 and a square nail at 4 in clean ground. You should see it when I swing over the 4 inch merc dime with 3 nails in the hole with it . no way to tell the dime from the nails by audio that I can hear. Maybe you can but if its that nuanced and hard to tell iron from silver you are at a disadvantage and your chances are not equal at all imo. The other 2 machines make it very easy with their audio to tell the difference in iron and a good target plus the vdi so for those reasons I dont think your statement is correct. For all of you who havent seen the tesoros audio in action I will post a video of it in my garden later.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used many Tesoros over the years except the Cirtez, have no use for it because it's not the best relic machine they have to offer, more of a modern day trash hunter. The Tejon, Vaquero, Bandido 2 micromax, outlaw etc are way better for relic hunting. I have pulled keepers with the Tejon, Vaquero and Bandido2 out of beds of nails that my Deus and Relic have pounded. I don't know many Relic hunters that don't have a good Tesoro with a 5.75 concentric coil in there arsenal. Watch scannerguys videos on YouTube with the Tejon and Vaquero and you will see very few machines can match them. Set the disc to just break up on a square nail and dig all repeatable tones right to left, back to front.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont care for them one bit sounds the same on every target ,not my cup of tea .So basically at that point I would be depending on the tesoros discrimination to tell between iron and non ferrous hmm dont like that idea to much should have done more testing with it to see if I could fool the discrimination of the tesoro before I sold it.I posted a video in the head to head section of the cortes audio verse the ace 150,nokta fors cor, and xp deus audio . Just a simple test over a nail and quarter, and a dime in square nails I found the audio lacking to say the least. WARNING If your a tesoro fan this video might offend . I dont care for a one tone machine , I tried messing with the disk I just couldnt see myself swinging this machine in a bed of nails with no audio difference and depending on the discrim of the machine.. I do watch scanner guy and respect his views but I disagree about this cortes its going in the mail in the morning. Some compare these machines to the deus I dont get maybe I missed something for 800.00 bucks I must have missed alot.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing is certain. No one machine really does it all. You need specialized machines for saltwater; gold prospecting; relic hunting; coin and jewelry detecting. :skullflag:

Totally agree with that statement.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just used my Deus yesterday. I had a Bounty hunter sharpshooter two before, so I don't have anything really to compare the Deus with. But I was really happy with its performance. I can't believe how deep some of the targets where Not only that but I found all the cables and lines I ever run. The metal detector really helped yesterday to get my mind off a upcoming event in my life. I got totally immersed and forgot about my problem. It was great therapy. I was out there all day. The detectors lightness is really a factor.

Yep. Used to be solitary golf. Now its MDing. A lot less frustrating. Lets me relax and just forget about the real world for awhile while getting a little exercise, which in and of itself I find boring.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love to detect and it is relaxing what is stressful is doing metal detector review videos. lol Im trying to get my wife into the hobby.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If Deus is the only non-USA company that we are comparing with, I'm not sure this is an American vs non-American (European?) question as much as it is an engineering and corporate question. XP did make a corporate decision to apply as much new technology to the Deus as they could... wireless, built-in rechargeable polymer batteries, novel telescoping shaft, and cutting weight where ever they could, multiple frequencies and selectable recovery rate, etc. But any American company could have made those same changes, but there is a risk involved in adopting the latest and greatest. XP took that risk. I'm sure all American companies are watching closely.

I totally agree:hello2:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash I watched your video on the Cortez comparing it to the Ace 150, Fors core and Deus. It is true that on most Tesoro machines at 0 disc you will get the same tone for all targets you pass the coil over. The ED120 disc circuit on some tesoro models like the Bandido and outlaw will allow you to keep it on 0 disc and still disc out small nails. They are silent search discriminate machines and people that use them usually turn the disc up to a point where the square nails go silent then dig all solid tones. The disc circuit on tesoros are highly accurate and if you thump the disc knob while passing it over the target and watch where the beeping stops will give you an idea if you want to dig or not. As a relic hunter that digs most all non ferrous targets above small iron on a tesoro you just don't hear the iron if you disc it out. Take a Tejon for instance, it has two disc circuits that can be set seperate where I set the 1st one to just break up the nails and the second to disc out bottlecaps. From what I gather from your videos and type of hunting you should be using a Tejon or Vaquero or maybe even an outlaw. They are machines though that you disc out the iron and dig everything else or thumb up and decide to dig. The Cortez is a machine for park hunters etc. I have never used one but it's like the Deleon and have used that several times in parks where you deal with more modern trash and it does way better and deeper than many machines cause the TID is very accurate even if it is just one single tone. The tone is just there to alert you to possibly dig or not. And after manu hours of using a tesoro you would be surprises what that one tone will tell the seasoned tesoro hunter. With a tesoro you need to forget about trying to hear the iron and just trust what it tells you to dig in that one tone above the iron.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the schooling .I normally run low disc on the deus 1 is my highest setting so that when I pass over iron its a clear low tone now this has purpose as it tells me where the old house was campsite etc. So for me to here all the iron is very important because on some old sites in fields its scattered and sparse. Iron is my friend as we search for different sites weekly and its part of locating it and most of the time its how we locate sites.I get the one tone and knocking out the iron its just not my cup of tea and I dont trust the discrim cicuits you speak of that much.Do I think tesoro users find good stuff yes I do but do I think there are more advanced machines tonal wise that make finding targets in the iron easier yes I do. I dont like the idea of using discrimination and trusting the machine to tell you the difference ive seen iron do weird things to signals that if I had been running disrim the machine would have knocked it out and the non ferrous would have been missed. I started this thread about technology and american companys and when I took the cortes to the garden I was just let down. I would love for someone to come hunt with me in a nail bed infested sites I hunt sometimes and show me that technology in action where hundreds or even thousand of nails are present and see the audio in action . I saw the recovery speed of the cortes its fast but not like a deus it was close to the fors core. I see the advanced machines you have do you think the tejon or tesero line is on the level of the ctx and the deus?

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I will try to sum it up. Let say through research I find an old homestead or place where I feel one used to be if nothing is left visible of it than I will use the Deus or Fors Relic to try to locate it cause yes I to have to hear the iron sounds to locate habitation etc.the places I hunt are usually covered in sage brush that I have to work in and around. Usually heavy nails are around the habitation site and outside where structures like barns, corals, sheds etc were. The Deus is excellent at finding targets in these areas where you can get the 9in coil. The Deus though has a hard time with old rusted flat tin and sounds off on it good when it's under soil. Full tones allowed me to seperate a lot of it out a use of the sound flat tin makes in full tones. So in full tones 0 disc you have this myriad of tones playing in your ears for the first 3 or 4 hours and it's a wonder and I find lots of great stuff. Now the one thing a tesoro has over that is a small 5.75 concentric coil that gets in and around the bushes and rocks much easier and doesn't love the small flat tin as much and is quiet except for that once and awhile beep that you have to investigate. So if your in a heavy nail bed site where you are digging 2 or 3 square nails for one non ferrous target out of every hole than yes a Deus, Tejon, Vaquero Nokta etc is the machines of choice. The CTX with the 6in coil will find some things also in that environment just not as good as the Tejon. The Tejon will pull stuff out of nail beds the Deus won't even see and vic versa. The CTX will pull deep silver better than all of them out cause the ID is so good at depth. I have gotten over 100 silver dimes and quarters this year with the CTX and CZ. All my seated though has been found with the Deus and Tejon and Vaquero. Modern sites the CTX is king except for my Tom tuned CZ which is a Buffalo and V nickel snagging feind. If I go nickel hunting I always take the CZ and usually come home with 2 or 3. Some times the older tech is still better than the newer tech just the way of things.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do like the small coil wish deus would come out with one.I havent seen a tejon in action so ill have to look at some videos of it in action.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went and checked scanner guys video out on the tejon depth looked good ,recovery speed did well but it comes back do to this for me. If you just discrim iron out your still stuck digging every signal above iron and on some sites thats exactly what needs to be done. Some sites are different though and have foil and other modern trashs and if you try to discrim then out you run the risk of knocking out a good target. What im trying to say is this with the deus ,shoot even an at pro alot of times you can id them with the info from the tones and the vdi and bypass them. There is no way to do that with the tejon that I see unless you disc up to foil but what do you knock out in doing so? relics as you know come in all over the place. The tejon is lacking in the info it provides imo . Can you call a silver coin before you dig it, shotgun shell, button, copper coin I can alot of times from the info that the deus provides in the tones and vdi numbers there is no way to do that with the tesoro correct? For the life of me I cant see where old tech has any advantage in this situation. I saw the tejon hit a 12 inch quarter can you say its probably silver before you dig it or a ball of foil ? I can alot of times ,the info the machine provides is lacking for the cost imo. how do you tell foil,can slaw,bbs,buckshot, etc. I saw scanner guy knock out can slaw with the disc, My questions is this what relics did he knock out in doing so? A real problem if you ask me cant tell foil from copper or silver or shotgun shell from gold and so forth and on and on. You see my point? arent you just disking out possible relics too? I will take a guess and say the discrimination circuits you speak of are set up on U.S coins and not set up on civil war buttons , colonial buttons,cuff links , and the relics I speak are all over the place. I will give you an example dug a colonial cuff link and it rang 26 on the deus much like foil if you had hit that with the tejon and thumbed the disk up what would have happenned?

Last edited:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to bills site on youtube called Dirtfishing and he runs a Vaquero and modded Cibola on a real trashy site and explains the tone so you can hear it and see what he digs beforehand. Watch how he swings the coils over the target and decides to dig or not and the results. There is a Black Vaquero on ebay right now for 350 you should get and pick yourself up a 5.75 concentric for it and take it back to the sites you hit already and see what you find. You won't be out much money and can easily sell it for your money back. You might be surprised at the outcome.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT is great in the iron infested spots as well, I've pulled many coins with iron in the hole with them. I'm thinking it does so well because of the detectors ability to prospect as well and the response time is also great. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread