Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My season, sadly, is over so I should have asked this earlier, but...

What is the purpose of "pumping" vs manually setting to (or near) the recommended setting? And vs. tracking. I get the impression that a lot of folks seem to think that the pumping method is superior, but I can't see why.

I'm also confused when the manual says that "In low or non-mineralized ground, there is no need to adjust the balance" and to just leave it at 90. Why would that be? Do you agree with that advice?

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO! I kept mine there when I was learning and that was fine BUT when I made my test garden ,and advice from Heath Jones I saw a big difference in depth when properly ground balanced. my ground runs 86 87 88 and just run mine down to the number after swinging for a minute of watching it. I just dont use the pumping method, I was told you can negative ground balance it and it becomes a depth monster its true but it also becomes a little more erratic. Say your ground runs 88 lower it to 86 and watch what happens on the depth part, some run it 5 numbers below I cant handle that.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen your deep coin videos and the suggestion to negative-balance.

Seems to me that it is like balancing a teeter-totter (or, the old-fashioned TV horizontal scroll). You ideally want it at the fulcrum or, in the case of negative balancing, just slightly to the side that you want to tip it to so that it will take less "weight" to tip the teeter-totter.

PS: I haven't followed the "keep on 90" advice, myself, and more recently I have been negative-balancing by a couple of points.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nobody has yet to answer this part of my question:

"What is the purpose of "pumping" vs manually setting to (or near) the recommended setting? And vs. tracking. I get the impression that a lot of folks seem to think that the pumping method is superior, but I can't see why."

Any takers?

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the pumping method the machine does it for you it adjust its self to the actual geround number, the easy way if so to speak. The manual requries you to set it at the desired number and you can set it to low or to high if you dont know what your doing. Tracking never use it because I hunt iron infested sites and it can throw the tracking off causing the machine to over adjust and killing depth. hope that helps

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the pumping method the machine does it for you it adjust its self to the actual geround number, the easy way if so to speak. The manual requries you to set it at the desired number and you can set it to low or to high if you dont know what your doing. Tracking never use it because I hunt iron infested sites and it can throw the tracking off causing the machine to over adjust and killing depth. hope that helps

Exactly! When sweeping over a small iron target (e.g., bobby pin or small nail) with tracking on you will find that the target may well disappear as tracking locks on to the new conductivity field generated by the iron. Regardless, I like tracking in fields without a lot of iron trash but where the conductivity may vary significantly such as lowlands near major bodies of water were the ground water table is high otherwise I am having to frequently adjust GB manually which is a pain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions