Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
information, 5 tones has five slots where targets fall into. Full tones I believe I heard it was said 39 . I have learned my machine in full tones and love it. Some machines for example will give a high tone for a copper penny,dime ,quarter, silver dime,silver quarter etc. The deus will high tone on all these too in full tones BUT the high tone will vary just a little for each of these targets and once you learn that difference man you will be dangerous in other words you can tell them apart ,were say a 3 tone machine will just put all of them in the high tone range and they will sound the same. Its a very nuanced audio that is worth the time to learn imo. The advantage for me is target identification I can call coins alot of the time and call can slaw bottle caps etc. even though I still dig them (I relic hunt) and dig most of it . I cant really explain it in writing but it has a specific sound over a good non ferrous target ,I heard it desribe as a round sound and thats a pretty good way to describe it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tigerdude

Apr 2, 2016
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt relics, civil war etc. I have an at pro that I dig by the number displayed versus the tone.thats why I bought the xp. To not relie on the number but to dig by tones. With that said, would you suggest full tones versus 5 tones?

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
If I were a serious relic hunter I'd only use 2 tones. One for iron, one for everything else. Then dig it all.

Seen some experienced relic hunters suggest two tones for unmasking in heavily iron contaminated sites. I must say, they are probably correct about 2 tone unmasking.

Good luck.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer full tones to two tones and five tones. Some say dig it all and that is true on some sites . Full tones provides more information and you can learn the nuances of it and call targets before you dig a lot of time. For instance you will know if you have a silver coin under your coil or a pull tab,aluminum foil. 2 tones in theory sounds good but would be very boring to hunt with in my opinion. I hunt buttons coins,bullets etc and they do have a certain sound in full tones and aluminum foil has another,can slaw , rusted bottle caps etc. Do I dig this stuff yes most of the time I do but its nice to know when you go over a target and the info comes back to you thru the tones and you KNOW more than likely a silver or big copper or button range.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Calabash said full tones provide much more information. Once you understand the language it will allow you to make informed decisions. Categorizing tones just groups targets together.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats the way to go it will take some time to get a feel for it but when it does the magic will happen.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With experience you will get to the point where you can hear the subtle tonal differences between a pull tab, nickel, and small gold ring which can all ring up in the low 50's on the VDI. You'll still dig the pull tab just to be sure, but you'll have high certainty. It will take several hours of swinging so stick with it. Nothing wrong with starting out in 4 or 5 tones to get used to things becsuse full can be a little overwheming at first, but you will want to ultimately graduate to full tones. Going back from full tones feels like flying blind.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had my Deus long, but It's pretty much paid for itself in the first 5 weeks. I run 3 tones, and depending on the site, may dig everything. At the beach, I dig the mid and the high, in the woods, dig everything.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one for you digging by numbers on the at pro would you dig a low 40s while relic hunting? If you said yes that would be good but if you had said no you would have passed a confedrate button I personally gug one in the low 40s
I hunt relics, civil war etc. I have an at pro that I dig by the number displayed versus the tone.thats why I bought the xp. To not relie on the number but to dig by tones. With that said, would you suggest full tones versus 5 tones?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I even dig some of the "1"'s and "2"'s just to see WHAT is in the area. In CW areas, I dig most anything. Found five CW axes and 5 almost complete ration cans that way. And two canteens. And under them were buttons and bullets. People do buy this stuff, and CW horseshoes are cool. I generally keep everything from old sites.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, use full tones in heavy iron and clean it out in an area cherry-picking non-ferrous signals, then switch to 2 tone and tell me you got everythIng.

Take full tones to the trashy park. Take 2 tones to the iron.

You a park hunter or relic hunter?

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Thanks for the advice. Full tones it will be

Full Tones is fine, but don't limit your self to JUST Full Tones. Set up a couple of programs using Mutli Tones. It is super easy to toggle between programs when you are over a target. Listen to the difference for yourself. That is how you learn to unlock the power of this machine. I used to use Full Tones exclusively, but have added some Multi Tone programs to my arsenal over the last 6 months and prefer it to Full Tones in many circumstances. They both have their places in my opinion.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I even dig some of the "1"'s and "2"'s just to see WHAT is in the area. In CW areas, I dig most anything. Found five CW axes and 5 almost complete ration cans that way. And two canteens. And under them were buttons and bullets. People do buy this stuff, and CW horseshoes are cool. I generally keep everything from old sites.

Exactly.There are iron relics worth more than buttons and bullets.

I you don't dig iron, you'll never find many pre-civil war era relics around here.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats coming from a park hunter that relic hunts how many times a year? I relic hunt 3 or 4 times a week year round , and I will let my finds answer your question. Imo all that disc that you have to add to keep the nails from high toning is going to hurt you anyway,if you could set the tone break say at 10 and not have to use so much disc I would hunt iron that way some but to me the disc kills the advantage of the 2 tone program where as in full tones I can run a disc of 1 or 0 and let more signals through. My style of hunting works very well for me but hey to each their own. If you want me to give some pointers on park hunting let me know!:headbang:
Yeah, use full tones in heavy iron and clean it out in an area cherry-picking non-ferrous signals, then switch to 2 tone and tell me you got everythIng.

Take full tones to the trashy park. Take 2 tones to the iron.

You a park hunter or relic hunter?

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, I stand corrected.

I relic hunted in 2016 just under 350 hours. (342)

I park hunted in 2016 just under 1000 hours. (960)

That's all field time swinging or digging.

That's my slowest year yet. Probably I just lack experience and basic 'tector set-up.

You think there is an elite secret to relic detecting? :laughing7:

Your finds only speak to your site....not your machine...unless you never found anything good with the ATPro you were a guru of.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread