High Numbers on the deus

Tigerdude

Apr 2, 2016
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not necessarily a deus question but a metal detector question in general. 0n the scale for a deus or an at pro for that matter , the scale from 0-30 generally is an indicator for a ferrous object. Lead , brass and silver then generally read out at a higher number. Being new at this,why does a piece of iron ring out in the 90's. which is a silver readout?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Think of the TID scale as a watch face, Iron is from 12 oclock moving right. Sometimes they bleed over counter clockwise and ring in as a high tone in the silver range. This is the explanation I was given.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was just talking about this in another thread, with the Dues just because its VDI is in the 25-40 doesn't mean its iron. Whereas with the AT Pro most VDI's up to 30 are iron. Two different machines and you can't use the AT Pro's VDI's with the Dues. There is a VDI chart floating around for the Dues, you also have to remember that changing feq... will affect VDI numbers, whereas the AT's are only single freq.. machines.
It will depend on the size and iron type, most high carbon irons will ring high as will an iron ring. Since most machines are "pre-programed" o find coins they seem to think round iron is a coin and again it has to do with what type/size/shape the iron is. Best I can I do

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think of the TID scale as a watch face, Iron is from 12 oclock moving right. Sometimes they bleed over counter clockwise and ring in as a high tone in the silver range. This is the explanation I was given.

That's indeed the reason. Typically it happens on large pieces of iron. Deus 4.0 SW will have a negative discrimination range (-6.4 to 0). I don't know if this will help with Iron Overlap or will just allow big deep iron to be detected (which may be associated with a deep cache of non-iron, desirable targets such as CW relics).

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, there are two schools of thought on whether the iron overlap range (97-99) should be notched out (if you want to disc out all iron). Andy Sabisch recommends it because there are so few "keeper" targets that will ring up in that range. Others argue that why would you want to miss out on any possible keeper target. Now that I primarily run full tones and minimum discrimination, I do not notch out the iron overlap range. Also, it is easy to use "brain discrimination" and coil techniques to make the determination. For example, if you are getting a rusty bottle cap or big iron that is giving you a nice high tone, you can try lifting the coil to see if the TID goes down. Similarly, if you lower or raise frequency on the target and the TID does not change as expected (assuming ID Normalization is off, which is why I do not use it), that is the TID should go up with increasing frequency and vice versa, then the target is likely iron or rusted. That is why I have two identical custom search programs saved side to side with the only difference being the frequency. I can quickly shift frequencies by merely hitting the +/- buttons on the fly (which changes the program). A third method is to use the X-Y screeen to see if you get a jagged vs. straight line plot. (X-Y can be accessed via OPTIONS then press PINPOINT and + at the same time then select ADVANCED and then X-Y).

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Or just dig it all and see what you get :thumbsup:

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not necessarily a deus question but a metal detector question in general. 0n the scale for a deus or an at pro for that matter , the scale from 0-30 generally is an indicator for a ferrous object. Lead , brass and silver then generally read out at a higher number. Being new at this,why does a piece of iron ring out in the 90's. which is a silver readout?

Not correct,,,saying 0-30 is ferrous.
The bigger vdi readings on iron is called iron wrap.
Most all other Vlf detectors,,,same thing can happen.
Biggest thing here,,is how different these iron wrap signals sound vs a good target.
Very possible btw to get 97,98 readings on good nonferrous targets like silver dollars,,half dollars. Frequency used can drive this number,,,,higher likelihood for example when a person is using 18khz. Engaging normalization can allow for this too.

In a ferrous contaminate environment,,,,TID on nonferrous can be anything numbers wise in the screen,,,from 00-98.
And of course deeper targets can read higher than actual vdi,,,on the screen.

Also,,,Meter ID can also be trapped,,,,what I mean by this depending on target,,depth,,soil minerals,,,Meter ID can be caught in what I call no man's land. A nickel,,deeper may read say 15 points high of actual,,,vs what most deeper nickels read like 97/98.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions