Silver here silver there...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going to find out the answer to that today...but I think they are NOT exactly the same in the way the Deus processes things internally but that may not matter to the user. Trying to get clarification on that.

In my mind, it's the same thing lol discrimination and notch both "cut the tone out I don't want to hear" which is normally the low tones from 1-15 as that's most likely iron and I don't want to dig iron when looking for coins or ferrous items. Now as far as processing of the signals I'm sure there is a huge internal difference but I would need a technical answer from an XP or other metal detector engineer to fill me in as to why they are technically different.
I am looking forward to a reply from vferrari on this!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my mind, it's the same thing lol discrimination and notch both "cut the tone out I don't want to hear" which is normally the low tones from 1-15 as that's most likely iron and I don't want to dig iron when looking for coins or ferrous items. Now as far as processing of the signals I'm sure there is a huge internal difference but I would need a technical answer from an XP or other metal detector engineer to fill me in as to why they are technically different.
I am looking forward to a reply from vferrari on this!

What I learned today in an in-person Deus training session with Andy Sabisch was that technically Discrimination and Notch are different in the way the Deus processes the signal and using discrimination enables one functional difference vs. notch if used in the same range.

Discrimination is a Deus signal filter that does attempt to filter out what it "thinks" is iron. According to Andy Sabisch (and he demonstrated this today with test targets), it does not have an appreciable impact on depth unless you set it above about 15. Then it starts to affect and distort non-ferrous signal quality, thereby affecting depth. Andy maintains that Disc should be used and set anywhere between 5 and 10 (user preference). He says that if you set it below 5 you gain no depth advantage and lose the "stability" and "reliability" of the horseshoe display's ability to differentiate between and reliably indicate a non-ferrous signal and ferrous signal on the horseshoe display. Keep the maximum Disc below 10 and you will have assurance that you are not affecting the depth capability of the Deus because non-ferrous signals will not be distorted by the discrimination filter. Notch simply nulls the audio in the TID range (or ranges if you use multiple notch settings) you set.

The other important difference between Disc and Notch (if you do not run full tones that is) is that with Notch you lose the Iron Volume feature since it only works in the range between 0 and wherever Disc is set (e.g., if you set Disc at 5 then iron volume works for signals detected as iron between 0 and 5 and it sets the first tone break at the TID corresponding to the Disc setting for a multi-tone configuration (2, 3, 4, or 5 tones). In other words, think of Disc as setting the iron tone break and then you get X-1 number of tone breaks depending on whether you have X= 2, 3, 4, or 5 tones). Conversely, if you set Disc to 0 and Notch = 0 to 5 then you will have no iron volume whatsoever and if in multi - vs. full tones you lose the first tone break since the break is at a TID of 0). Iron volume does not apply if you use full tones. I would say that if you use full tones, then there is effectively no difference between Disc and Notch (unless you set Disc above 10 or 15) and also, if you want to null out a large swath of signals up to a TID number greater than say 10 or 15 (e.g., say you want to Disc or Notch from 0 to 30), it is best to use Notch vice Disc so that you don't affect depth capability.

Since no one actually has the Disc filter and Notch filter source code for the Deus you either have to take Andy at his word or you can choose not to believe what he is saying. He did demonstrate with a deep non-ferrous target (buried clad quarter (I think) > than 12-inch, not an air test) that depth (ability of the Deus to see the target) was not perceptibly affected until he set Disc to above about 20 or so and then the non-ferrous target tone got really choppy. For what its worth... I plan on doing that depth test myself in a test garden or Calabash, I have an exeriment for you...

Last edited:
OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you sir, pretty much in line with what we have all been saying. Thank you for the amazing information that was very informative. So it's best to run a little disc, I think I'm going to run disc at 5.5 and notch 5.5-10 to kill any iron. I am liking the new "HOT" program as it give a lot of information on what's under you. Great for feeling out a new area. Thank you for the information again sir, love hearing technical answers to questions. The Dues is a pretty technical machine compared to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What did you find in Gettysburg, vferrari?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did you find in Gettysburg, vferrari?

I found a .635" period dropped round ball lead shot, a modern coin spill (including "the cycle" - Quarter, nickel, dime, and some pennies - lol) and two foreign coins that I guess got there from a previous club hunt or something. Local Gettysburg club used the field for club hunts. Couple of other dropped and fired three-ringers and two beat up silver dimes were found over the course of two short duration hunts. Not too exciting, but at least I can say I got an actual period relic from Gettysburg, which is something. Really hard to get any swing time in there whatsoever.

Last edited:
OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you had a great learning experience and found some good relics to add to the collection. Good for you brotha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread