Deus in cold weather

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if people had problems in cold weather with the deus.I took it out today and it's really cold ,remote was hard to scroll and the coil seemed a little off.don't no if this is a know problem or if my deus has issues. I no cold effects digital read outs., but have used others in the cold ,which the displays were slower, but worked fine.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have not had problems in the cold, but probably have not attempted to use it much below temps in the low 30's. One of the main things that do not like the extreme cold are LiIon batteries so that would affect coil, remote, and wireless headset.

OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have not had problems in the cold, but probably have not attempted to use it much below temps in the low 30's. One of the main things that do not like the extreme cold are LiIon batteries so that would affect coil, remote, and wireless headset.

it was in low 20s with wind chil the remote buttons were hard to press and change ,also the depth of the coil was effective. I no I could keep the remote in my pocket to stay warm , but not the coil .I detect when I can , in the woods the leaves insulate the ground from freezing .it's no big deal just wanted to no if it was a known issue.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally haven't had issues. I've detected a bunch with the Deus the last two winters from temps in the teens to 20's and not had problems. The remote LCD does get sluggish like you mentioned. It's actually 18 out now and I'm heading out :BangHead:. Ha. I typically store my Deus in the garage, but in the winter I bring it inside so it's not sitting in freezing cold. I bring my other machines batteries in too. I'm interested in hearing more about the Deus in temps that cold though. Perhaps performance is affected and I just haven't noticed.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Storage. Lol. Didn't think of that. I keep mine in my SUV 24-7 so it does get exposed to some pretty low temps overnight (low teens) and to several daily temp cycles. Have seen no ill effects from that, so far. Probably not good to continuously expose it to constant cycles like that.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I've used the Deus in sub-zero temps (two winters now) many, many times.

Who knows if there is a performance loss....at those temps even YOU won't perform well. Not to mention deep targets really suck to recover. The LCD does get sluggish, but I only notice when changing settings. If any negative effects are caused by cold, I'd say perhaps my coil doesn't hold a charge quite as long as when it was new....but just slightly.

I've not had problems at temps as low as 15°F. I have stopped using it in the temps that chilly after getting wind of battery and cold issues.

OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
every detector I owned I bought new , just didn't want to learn a machine and fined out after to years its not working right.the high end detectors anyway i mean if you had the at pro and it's not working right easy to tell, but my deus is used for a 1000 11inch coil remote and the five head phones with warranty..so that's why I was wondering cause the buttons were kind of hard to press anyway. I tend to use my nail more than my sausage fingers.so if depth is effective in cold might make sense to up reactivity and set it up for shallower targets.beleave me company's view these forms to get free advice to improve there products.so head phones can be put under a hood remote in pocket coil more cold temp friendly.remote could also have bigger butons.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
The buttons are hard to push. They get easier to push as your fingers get stronger. :laughing7:
if depth is effective in cold might make sense to up reactivity and set it up for shallower targets.so head phones can be put under a hood remote in pocket coil more cold temp friendly

That's pretty much what I do except setting up for shallow targets. Even if I can't dig them due to temps I may come back when I can.

OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The buttons are hard to push. They get easier to push as your fingers get stronger. :laughing7:

That's pretty much what I do except setting up for shallow targets. Even if I can't dig them due to temps I may come back when I can.[/COLOR]

I'm not knocking the deus . I love the thing just making a valid point and OK the buttons can be hard to press. that's what I wanted to know.I bought the deus used cause I didn't want to lose a few hundred selling it if I didn't like it, but I didn't know if it was a display model or not. so now that I do like it I plan to buy a new coil this year and so on. I wasn't suggesting that I was a heavy hote I do masonry and turn wrenches so could probably squeeze the remote hard enough to make a Dimond.I mean I have man hands. I realize the remote is designed so the buttons don't change your set up, but maybe they could design a cover that has a rubber pad like a TV remote. other detector company's add a few features and come out with a new version .that is just business . deus doesn't charge for them up grades how long before they do .OK I'm getting off topic , well these are discussing forums . don't mean to sound harsh if I do.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone can squeeze my Deus remote hard enuff to make diamonds, please PM me, I need that done on my remote and am willing to pay a small fee to have it done. :laughing9:

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it was in low 20s with wind chil the remote buttons were hard to press and change ,also the depth of the coil was effective. I no I could keep the remote in my pocket to stay warm , but not the coil .I detect when I can , in the woods the leaves insulate the ground from freezing .it's no big deal just wanted to no if it was a known issue.

Off subject.. But, i know my Iphone will go completely wonkey at around 19 degrees.. I notice it most in the battery.. At that temp it will not charge untill i warm it up.

so, point is.. maybe your battery voltage dropped and caused the Deus to get wonkey?

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The vinyl cover gives me a challenge when it's cold pushing buttons.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Search eBay for these (the ones at the hardware store are too big) I believe these are 4mm in diameter. Makes pushing buttons inside and outside rain covers a breeze.

IMG_2382.JPG

IMG_2855.JPG

OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just trying to be entertaining and not trying to be the most interesting man in the world. so we can agree that cold isn't the best for the deus .having a transferable warranty is a selling point, but you never know what your getting.I do tip my hat to deus for making a great detector I mean they could of made it no more capable then the ace 250 other than being wireless and still would have been a great detector.they put a lot of thought in it and I'm a proud owner , maybe someone can put some dry ice over there test garden to get some results and yes I no how cold dry ice is.thanks for the replies

OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Search eBay for these (the ones at the hardware store are too big) I believe these are 4mm in diameter. Makes pushing buttons inside and outside rain covers a breeze.

View attachment 1422878

View attachment 1422879

that's what I was talking about something like that thank you.I just want to add I wasn't being a baby about pressing buttons just wanted to no if it was common or if I bought a remote that a million people played with.thanks again

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Never had a problem with cold with the Deus. It was 15 degrees this morning and the Deus worked fine. No loss of depth or sensitivity. The wind was howling too. The Deus may not have felt the wind chill factor but I did.

I use those silicon buttons too. Had to replace one in 2 years.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to add I wasn't being a baby about pressing buttons just wanted to no if it was common or if I bought a remote that a million people played with.thanks again

Oh I know

The silicon buttons will really help. It was one of the first things I did to mine. It will also prevent any damage over time from repeated use of fingernails. I primarily did it because my waterproof case has thin silicon face (in comparison to XP branded silicon cover), and repeated use of a fingernail would damage it eventually.

IMG_2083.JPG

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have also been using the Dues all winter and noticed no ill effects. Yesterday was about 2 with the windchill I did notice the coil battery drain faster but thats expected in low temps with no external heat source. I was also using 4khz and TX3 so that will make it drain faster as well.

OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
going to be cold again this weekend I'll give a try over my test garden. maybe my settings were off.it was frustrating to hike out in the woods and have a issue.also my expensive gloves suck.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minnesota here. I've used my Deus in near freezing weather with no effects, but the batteries were well-charged when I started. The chemical reaction in the batteries most likely does slow down some, so if yours were low already, and the cold dropped the voltage even a little, it might have had an effect.

I don't know how the buttons could have been affected, unless they use some sort of grease internally, which I highly doubt, but I can't argue with your personal experience.

According to the experts that I've read, wind chill does NOT affect objects. It is strictly referring to the effects of wind on bare skin.

One source, but there are many: Wind Chill Questions and Answers - Skyview Weather
The only effect wind chill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to more quickly cool the object to cool to the current air temperature. Object will NOT cool below the actual air temperature. For example, if the temperature outside is -5 degrees Fahrenheit and the wind chill temperature is -31 degrees Fahrenheit, then your car’s radiator will not drop lower than -5 degrees F.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions