lost confidence in my DEUS

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,
Maybe the op here and a Deus just don't mesh.
They will have to figure that out on their own.

What can I say about Deus?
I will keep mine,,,until someone can show another detector while wearing a 9" coil or 11" coil,,that can go head to head with Deus unmasking/ separating in iron and nails and best it.
Right now,,I don't see.

Had the supposed flagship White's,,and sold it.

What about that Nokta Impact you've been testing?

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about that Nokta Impact you've been testing?

It is the closet thing I've seen to Deus.
Deus still wins by a hair (unmasking for round disc shapes). Irregular shaped nonferrous edge to Impact. Coil size for coil size. (Not exaclly the same ideal coil sizes/shapes to compare).
Remember smaller coils are available for Impact,,,so using them Impact does in certain detecting scenarios take the lead.
But also remember,,Xp has these new coils coming that run on higher freqs,,,I think one of them is 6x9" or some thing.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the compare. As a Deus user, the Impact looks really interesting (I was previously eyeing the Nokta Relic), perhaps an option for the OP, more traditional programming setup than the Deus, coil choices, and 3 different operating frequencies vs. the Deus with 4 (at least before the high frequency hardware comes out).

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I'm a firm believer that the best machine for someone is the machine that works best for them. "

This sentence from Vferrari sums it up. I have seen people walking the fields with a 20+ year tesoro and pulling cool stuff.

A new machine maybe an inch deeper, but they would have to start anew to learn it.

If you just dislike it like fmrUSMC_0844, its simply not your machine. Get something else, its not your wife or daughter. It´s like a car that does not suit your needs.

Tweaking? You dont neccesarily have to: Barring some weird soil conditions (we dont have here in my parts) it is out of the box with the factory programs a very good machine. Off course after a while you will try things out and esp. if you hunt steel helmets in greater depth, there are better things than the standard factory program (Not my cup of tea, but had one a pretty impressive thing shown to me).

Yet what the threadopener describes is for an XP DEUS substandard performance. I would again say re-install and try again. If the thing still doesnt perform, try with another coil (if hardware problem I would bet on substandard or damaged coil). Threadopener should ask for another DEUS user in his area who can run a trial in the yard and maybe switch coils.

That being said, what machine had you before and what is you swing speed? If on the edge of depth the Deus performs imho better with higher swing speeds, not Etrac Slo-mo.

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe the problem is usually with the user, not the machine. I see many guys looking for the magic bullet. The machine that screams at them "gold ring here" or "silver dime here". The truth is all these machines do the same damn thing. Success comes with digging those signals that aren't "perfect". Anyone with any machine can dig BANGS. It's the person who doesn't scrutinize a target and digs instead that makes all the good finds. I yell at my buddy all the time....."the time it's taking you to decide to dig or not you could've had it out already and on to another target".

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
That is ok i had a XLT & DFX did not care for them. As a matter of fact i had Steve Herschbach's DFX i guess he did not care for it so i got his and then i did not care for it so i sold it. .. But the Whites MXT Pro that is a good detector . We all have our favorite brand just like cars..

I can respect that Keppy. But I am still happy to take your Deus off your hands. No sense of it taking up space in your closet if you really think it is overpriced and over rated. Do you still have it or did you sell it already?

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll chime in here as I am getting better at using the Dues after using it for a good amount of time now.
The XP Dues is not a "DEEP" Machine no matter what why you try and set it up as. I am not saying it won't hit a quarter at 12-15 inches it will but you have to set some settings different than the stock loaded programs. What makes the Dues shine is the separation of targets. IE: coins next to nails or other non-ferrous targets, the Dues will pick out the smallest ferrous target in a mass of non-ferrous with no issues. I knew the Dues wasn't the deepest machine when I bought it, but that's not why I bought it! If I want to go deep I bust out the AT Pro with a NEL Storm or BIG coil and go to work, however, I know I am going to miss a few good targets due to "masking". Every machine has a strong point and a weak point, it'sup to the end user to figure out his style of detecting and get a machine or machines that fit with his/her style and hunting conditions/sites. Where I am in the Hudson valley NY area we have a lot of iron infested old home sites as well as the regular parks and old home permissions. All the places I hunt have a ton of "trash" targets and the Dues excels at picking the good stuff from the unwanted. Much better than any machine I have used, now if I am going to hunt and open field with low trash I'll bring out the AT Pro with NEL Storm. So buy what suits you then learn how to really use it. With all the options the Dues has learning the machine will take some time and once you think you figured it out you can go ahead and tweak some other settings and learn it all over again. v4 brings the Dues to a new level I think, cleaning signal processing and better depth while maintaining a good separation of targets (Reactivity 2.5 is great) so I feel I am relearning the machine all over again but that's a good thing in my mind.
If you're not finding good targets your being to picky on what your digging, not every signal is going to be a banging 91 (depends on what freq... your in) like what was posted above, if the machines give a hint there is something good dig it you have nothing to loose and all to gain. I feel I have found more good targets since using the Dues because I have been digging a lot more targets up then I was when I was using the AT Pro. Why might you ask? Because I got lazy and thought I knew the machine better than the machine knew itself.

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MDing is simple, he who makes the most holes finds the most good stuff period. Discrimination is great, but no machine is 100% right on with target ID, so digging "iffy" signals is paramount no matter what machine one uses. I cut my teeth on a beep and dig BFO and still dig more junk than most of my hunting buddies because the only true target ID is when it is in your hand. I like the idea of the light weight and wireless of the Deus, may buy one one of these days, but I see so many posts from Deus users finding lots of iron junk and I already do that with my ATP and Safari. Safari is definitely a superb silver sniffer as is it's more costly brother Etrac but I do get fooled a lot by iron and I don't really care, it is part of the process of finding good stuff. Naturally if they come out with the "ideal or perfect" detector that had infallible target ID I would have to get one, but I think that may never happen.

OP
OP
B

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
I don't think the programs are flawed nor do I think the machine is broken. I do think that it would be a good idea to put in a test garden as you said, then I can mess with the controls and see what it takes to get the deeper coins I buried.

OP
OP
B

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
thanks, no, you didn't strike a nerve. I found more with the first machine I ever owned, which was a Relco Frontiersman, the most basic of basic machines, but 1971 big seller, than any other machine. I have to admit that I have not tinkered much with all the options on this detector and that may be part of the problem. Having gone through at least 30 machines in the past, plus having 4 other machines (Minelab Excalibur; Minelab 705; Fisher F19; Tesoro Tejon; and XP DEUS) that I use mostly for civil war relic hunting, you can see that I always try to gave the better machines on the market, although some of the machines that I now own I have had for a long time. I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this machine. It's not necessarilly the learning curve as much as it is my age, which is 70. As you get older it truly is harder to learn many things, much harder than it was 30 years ago. In my original posting I was up against one of the better hunters in the country, his machine is truly souped up, I mean there weren't many shallow targets and what were left were deep, targets that every other hunter missed because they were too deep. I am going to give it more time and do the test garden next week as we are going back to the same church next week and then I can see if the tweaking had any effect.

OP
OP
B

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I am using the programs that came with the last upgrade, I also am using two coin programs from the Sabach book and also the ultimate program. Part of the problem may be in that fact that I ordered it with the smaller coil.

OP
OP
B

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I presently have 5 machines, including the DUES they are a Minelab Excalibur (water hunting); Tesoro Tejon (relic hunting); Fisher F19 (good but not real deep); Minelab 705 (relic hunting). I have been doing this for over 40 years and have had lot's of machines including White's; Fisher; King Cobra; Teknetics Coin Computer; Tesoro; Relco; Minelab and Garrett, probably over 30 machines all total. I just use a normal swing speed and keep the coil close to the ground. I am going to do the test garden and learn what the setting do, rather than read what they do in the Andy Sabach book.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I can respect that Keppy. But I am still happy to take your Deus off your hands. No sense of it taking up space in your closet if you really think it is overpriced and over rated. Do you still have it or did you sell it already?
It was my grand sons but he sold it . I always thought that to pay over $700.00 for a detector to hunt coins with was a waste of money. I can see paying a high price for a dive detector or a Gold prospecting detector but not a coin detector.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out today with my Deus. I've had great success with it, but admittedly I really do not not know how to properly tweak it. But I'm not going to complain. I rescued the city from very evil tops to the older screw off aluminum bottles, and came home with a pocket full of coins, a few oldies in the batch. Some of the little turkeys were down 8" or more. May be something in the settings on your machine. I was running the coin mode for US soils, 11 khz, reactivity at 2, I bumped it up a little. Standard coil.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boilermaker27, I was "gasp" reading the owner's manual the other day. If you have a different coil than the one that normally ships with it, that may be the whole problem. I read in the manual you have to tell the machine which coil you are using. It may not know. Sounds kinda dumb, but apparently the Deus is picky about its coils. Made me decide I'll never buy a 2nd coil, I'd probably never figure it out.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks, no, you didn't strike a nerve. I found more with the first machine I ever owned, which was a Relco Frontiersman, the most basic of basic machines, but 1971 big seller, than any other machine. I have to admit that I have not tinkered much with all the options on this detector and that may be part of the problem. Having gone through at least 30 machines in the past, plus having 4 other machines (Minelab Excalibur; Minelab 705; Fisher F19; Tesoro Tejon; and XP DEUS) that I use mostly for civil war relic hunting, you can see that I always try to gave the better machines on the market, although some of the machines that I now own I have had for a long time. I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this machine. It's not necessarilly the learning curve as much as it is my age, which is 70. As you get older it truly is harder to learn many things, much harder than it was 30 years ago. In my original posting I was up against one of the better hunters in the country, his machine is truly souped up, I mean there weren't many shallow targets and what were left were deep, targets that every other hunter missed because they were too deep. I am going to give it more time and do the test garden next week as we are going back to the same church next week and then I can see if the tweaking had any effect.

Completely understand - I think most people are most comfortable on the machine they first learned on (as long as it was capable). Despite technology marching on, if you really know your capable machine, and train your brain either to audio or or to a VID screen as applicable and, like golf, use a repeatable, consistent and thorough approach to how you detect a site, the technology differences in detectors (other than discrimination and ground balancing - which are paramount, critical features) make minimal difference, in my opinion, in the ability of the detectorist to pull targets out of the ground. If you are not "one with your machine" however then those tech differences can matter in how they make the detectorist comfortable with the way the machine "talks" to them.

I would suggest working with the 3 - Deus Fast built-in program as your base program when you use your test garden and make your tweaks from that base program. Why? Because it is the only built-in program with a Silencer default setting of 0 or -1 (other than Wet Beach, but wet beach uses Beach ground balancing bias which will screw up land detecting). Why is Silencer at -1 or 0 important? Because if it set higher than 0 you lose depth and it gets really bad every incremental setting above 0 you set it. Some of the Stock built-in programs have Silencer set as high as 4 (e.g., Basic 2) which absolutely kills depth. Note also, that if you change Reactivity setting, then the Silencer (the expert sub-menu under Reactivity) will also automatically change consistent with the default setting for that Reactivity setting without you even touching the Silencer. That means it will reset from -1 or 0 to at least 1 or even higher depending the Reactivity setting you choose. An unfortunate and undesirable quirk in the menu setting functionality (that was also unfortunately not set in 4.0). Also, set Ground Balancing to Tracking so you don't have to fiddle with it unless your Ground Conductivity in your test garden is rock solid, then use manual GB to match the lower number to the upper number within +/-3. Finally, get used to this base program (Deus Fast variant) in ver 3.2 and don't upgrade to 4.0 just yet. Without the hardware, all it will do is screw you up at this point. Also, you may want to start out in the default Deus Fast setting of 3 tones rather than full tones. Full tones can really overload your brain when you are trying to get use to the machine. Finally, for Deus Fast, I would change Frequency from 18 khz to either 8 or 12 khz (whichever gives you the least interference - if you want to maximize depth I would bias towards the lower frequency). Don't be afraid to give 4 khz a try also. 18 khz is OK but is geared more towards small, weak conductors such as small gold jewelry rather than deep silver coins.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about setting up a good base learning program on the Deus.

Last edited:

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have said it and I'll say it again, the Dues isn't the deepest machine with the 11" or 9" coil that's not what the Dues was made for. It shines at picking targets out from heavy iron filled sites with its blazing recovery speed. I hunt with 8khz or 4khz, TX @ 3, silencer at -1, Discrimination at 3, and notch 1-10, reactivity at 2.5 or 3, and the machine will find any target that is there. I have confdence in the Dues you have to, or what's the point of even using the machine? I think a postive attitude goes a long way towards what you find. I know sometimes I can feel when I am going to have a good day hunting or a skunky day :)
I have learned the hard way that the Dues will not lie to you if you're getting a banging signal there is a good target there some place. Even if you're just getting a faint squeak ( I use full tones) there is a good target there some place. It constantly surprises and amazes me with what it can do. Case in point I went to a place I call the field of silver we have pulled over 50 silvers in the past 2 weeks from this field. I started out with the AT Pro and NEL coil thinking I would cover more ground and have a better chance at the deeper silver. Welp after about 1 hour of swinging that super heavy machine I didn't find jack! Gave up on the AT Pro and said let me try the Dues since I'm all ready here and don't want to go home skunked, within 5 minutes pulled 1 mercury dime and 1 Washington quarter and my arm didn't feel like it was going to break when I was swinging. In my mind, you just can't beat what the Dues offers. Lightweight amazing separation and decent depth when set properly. I would not give up on the machine so quick it does have a bit of a learning curve and the new V4 software really polishes up the machine nice.

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy, since you seem to hate your Deus, I will be happy to buy it from you. I already have one, but wouldn't mind another. Since you are a White's guy, I will trade you both my DFX and XLT and all six coils for your Deus.

Keppy likes to put down detectors. A couple years ago he was on the Garrett forum doing same thing. I think he likes storing up sh** look back at his posts from let's say 2013 he caused a lot of heated arguments in Garrett forum. Just saying.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keppy likes to put down detectors. A couple years ago he was on the Garrett forum doing same thing. I think he likes storing up sh** look back at his posts from let's say 2013 he caused a lot of heated arguments in Garrett forum. Just saying.

Maybe if he lost power (hint) every time he got out of line.

XP-Man

Jul 28, 2014
Lowell, Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If u cant become one with the machine and understand d what's it's telling u. U won't find squat. I read andy book and watched videos. I was digging junk all day long. Switch my machine to full tones and boom it just made magic happen..

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions