OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my theory on the contrast issues. When one first gets their machine they usually adjust their contrast and forget it. Updating to v4 automatically results in setting the contrast to "10" and the user is prompted to adjust it (lower it).

I may be wrong but this looks awfully suspicious. If this is the reason, the user wouldn't know it was an issue unless the contrast was turned up, and would think that it was caused by the software update. I think that in order for this to happen, the user would have to regularly use the magnetic hip mount case over a long period of time. I could be wrong though. What do you think?

(Not my pic)
IMG_3017.JPG

IMG_3020.JPG

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm pretty sure that LED screens are not affected by magnets in the way that older CRT screens were.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Correct, neodymium magnets will not effect LCD screens like previous CRT screens in the old days. I would leave it on there for months but it shouldn't effect normal operations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maine_Capt

Apr 21, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
XP Deus * 11-in coil
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Tesoro Silver Sabre II Vintage 1990s
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LCD Screens are effected by direct pressure however.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is correct Maine_Capt, I am wondering is how the magnet is causing some type of pressure on the LCD will it's in its little case? There has to be some cause for the "darker" spots on the LCD that some are reporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the hip case with my unit so I can let you know how my unit wears. My came with 3.2 on it and I updated and it did prompt to lower. I set it at 8. My screen doesn't look like the pic jadocs posted. I might be worried if I saw that.
The couple of times I have had it out so far, I have used it both ways. First time on the detector, today I had it in the case and in and out of my pocket as it was raining off and on lightly.

The magnet is actually on the bottom back of the control unit so it shouldn't have any effect on the display at all. The belt clip is towards the bottom of the unit as well. The main unit sits upside down in the case and should not have any issues with a belt, the clip or magnet.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread