Version 4: Do you prefer the 11inch or the 9 inch coil. New purchase.

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you buy a complete new detector package they are usually priced the same if you get them with either coil. Separately, (new) you typically pay a $15 premium for the 11" coil vs. the 9". The 11x13" is typically $50 to $60 more than the 11". Interestingly, the 9" HF coil is about $60 less than the 9" legacy coil.

OK thanks for the info. I well go with the 9 though. now we have to consider the update and which coil works best so could be a different ball game

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still personally prefer the 9 even after the upgrade. The diffrence in performance is negligible. The larger ground coverage of the 11 is preferrable if you primarily hunt large open fields and want slightly higher ground coverage per swing. Otherwise, for sll around use in any situation, go with the 9".

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt mostly in the woods and cellar holes.well waiting to get my new machine and for these bionic ticks to simmer down.so 9 it is that's what I love about this machine ,if you buy another coil it's like a brand new machine.

usmcscorpio

Oct 7, 2003
Delaware
I purchased the Deus with the 11" Coil, and really like the performance, depth, coverage and separation it provides. Highly recommended! Good luck with your choice!

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it just sometimes at some iron infested cellar holes the grunting after time can make you loopy.now I was new to the machine so it could've been settings to.I got the jiff of the hole thing , but how things work together takes time.I sold it cause it was going to be sitting for a while and didn't want to worry about keeping it charged not that that's a thing , just me.so I bought a minelab to do some park hunts and found myself missing the deus.not that ml wasn't a good detector .not going down that road.I talked to the guy I sold the deus to and hope to do coil comparison. it's just to me it's easier using the 9 as 11 than 11 as 9 if that makes sense.

Last edited:

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I now have the 9inch coil , but can't hit a 12 inch quarter no matter what I do. I no there going to be depth lost with the 9 ,but I thought I could get it to hit even if the setting weren't good for hunting . I seen the video of someone doing it .I got the 11 to hit pretty easy.I had the 11 in 3.2 now have 9 in 4.0. I thought I got it to hit with negative discrimination, but that's all metal so hard to tell. I notice they dont have relic mode no more ,but have deep . well I'm going to hit a iron infested area that had no luck with any detector. the quarter could of been a little deeper than 12 , kinda did it fast cause the bugs were happy to see me.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I just don't understand this obsession with extreme depth. Who wants to dig that deep on a regular basis anyway - lol.

But I agree with you the delta in depth performance should not be that great between the 9 and 11" Deus coils.

However, it is hard to do apples to apples comparisons at extreme depths (> than 7 or 8 inches) because there are so many variables that can affect the results that I think it gets pretty unscientific and subjective pretty quickly. At least in this case, you were using a consistent target benchmark (a clad (?) quarter).

Your post is a little hard to follow. Did you recover/detect a 12 inch quarter in the field with your previously owned 11" coil or were you using a test garden? Did you exactly replicate the ground conditions you had from the 11" coil (ground conductivity and mineralization, moisture content, coin orientation, coil height above the ground etc.) when you attempted to capture the 12 inch quarter with your new 9" coil? Was it freshly buried? From the detector end you need to be careful about hopping around the built-in programs because regardless of what they are named. For example, some of the preset programs incorporate a high silencer setting (i.e., higher than 0, preference would be -1) which can significantly affect depth.

These are the settings I would use to maximize depth, including discussions of how the settings affect depth performance (I typically start with Deus Fast as my base program and make my adjustments from there):

Discrimination - anything less than 10. Despite folklore, I have seen actual test garden demonstrations that show that discrimination does not appreciably affect depth until you push it well above 15 or 20. I personally like to run it full negative with version 4 (i.e., -6.4).

Tones - does not affect depth but I am partial to full tones because you can hear those high tone squeakers. If you have everything above Target ID 80 the same high tone (say in a 4 or 5 tone setup) than you can't differentiate those high conductivity targets. You want a dime to sound different than a quarter, if possible. Full tones gives you that.

Sensitivity - as high as possible without falsing. If you can get it to at least 93, then you have pretty much maxed out depth because depth pretty much plateaus out above sens 93-95.

Transmit Power - Set it to 3 if the soil is not mild to highly mineralized, otherwise 2.

Frequency - If you want to maximize depth go to 4 khz though that locks in Tx Power 3 which could be counterproductive in highly mineralized dirt. Let's face it, regardless how you set up the Deus, depth is going to significantly suffer when the soil is highly mineralized. Just an unfortunate fact of life.

Reactivity - Recommend setting it at 1 for max depth, if trashy bump up to 2 or 2.5 for separation. Separation/Recovery vs. Depth, no real free lunch there. If you want to max depth, set reactivity lower.

Silencer - Set to -1 (off) for max depth, some say you can get away with 0 with little-to-no depth loss.

Ground Balance - within 3 points of actual conductivity reading. If you want to maximize depth, push the GB reading such that it is 3 points less than actual GB reading. This will give you some extra depth at the expense of additional noise.

Also, no notch.

In terms of ranking them from greatest to least impact on depth (assuming a proper ground balance) I would say: #1 - Sensitivity (as high as possible) , #2 - Frequency (as low as possible), #3 -Silencer (-1/off), #4 - Reactivity (1 or lower), #5 - Tx Power (as high as the soil mineralization conditions permit), #6 - Disc (keep it anywhere below 10 and you should not impact depth).

Lay these "max depth" settings in, bury your quarter and then let's talk. BTW - the dime is usually used as the target to benchmark detector depth performance. Obviously, a quarter should be detected deeper than a dime. The point is that consistency matters when comparing coil vs. coil and detector vs. detector.

IMO the variables beyond the detectorist's control make this whole depth thing subjective.

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I just don't understand this obsession with extreme depth. Who wants to dig that deep on a regular basis anyway - lol.

But I agree with you the delta in depth performance should not be that great between the 9 and 11" Deus coils.

However, it is hard to do apples to apples comparisons at extreme depths (> than 7 or 8 inches) because there are so many variables that can affect the results that I think it gets pretty unscientific and subjective pretty quickly. At least in this case, you were using a consistent target benchmark (a clad (?) quarter).

Your post is a little hard to follow. Did you recover/detect a 12 inch quarter in the field with your previously owned 11" coil or were you using a test garden? Did you exactly replicate the ground conditions you had from the 11" coil (ground conductivity and mineralization, moisture content, coin orientation, coil height above the ground etc.) when you attempted to capture the 12 inch quarter with your new 9" coil? Was it freshly buried? From the detector end you need to be careful about hopping around the built-in programs because regardless of what they are named. For example, some of the preset programs incorporate a high silencer setting (i.e., higher than 0, preference would be -1) which can significantly affect depth.

These are the settings I would use to maximize depth, including discussions of how the settings affect depth performance (I typically start with Deus Fast as my base program and make my adjustments from there):

Discrimination - anything less than 10. Despite folklore, I have seen actual test garden demonstrations that show that discrimination does not appreciably affect depth until you push it well above 15 or 20. I personally like to run it full negative with version 4 (i.e., -6.4).

Tones - does not affect depth but I am partial to full tones because you can hear those high tone squeakers. If you have everything above Target ID 80 the same high tone (say in a 4 or 5 tone setup) than you can't differentiate those high conductivity targets. You want a dime to sound different than a quarter, if possible. Full tones gives you that.

Sensitivity - as high as possible without falsing. If you can get it to at least 93, then you have pretty much maxed out depth because depth pretty much plateaus out above sens 93-95.

Transmit Power - Set it to 3 if the soil is not mild to highly mineralized, otherwise 2.

Frequency - If you want to maximize depth go to 4 khz though that locks in Tx Power 3 which could be counterproductive in highly mineralized dirt. Let's face it, regardless how you set up the Deus, depth is going to significantly suffer when the soil is highly mineralized. Just an unfortunate fact of life.

Reactivity - Recommend setting it at 1 for max depth, if trashy bump up to 2 or 2.5 for separation. Separation/Recovery vs. Depth, no real free lunch there. If you want to max depth, set reactivity lower.

Silencer - Set to -1 (off) for max depth, some say you can get away with 0 with little-to-no depth loss.

Ground Balance - within 3 points of actual conductivity reading. If you want to maximize depth, push the GB reading such that it is 3 points less than actual GB reading. This will give you some extra depth at the expense of additional noise.

Also, no notch.

In terms of ranking them from greatest to least impact on depth (assuming a proper ground balance) I would say: #1 - Sensitivity (as high as possible) , #2 - Frequency (as low as possible), #3 -Silencer (-1/off), #4 - Reactivity (1 or lower), #5 - Tx Power (as high as the soil mineralization conditions permit), #6 - Disc (keep it anywhere below 10 and you should not impact depth).

Lay these "max depth" settings in, bury your quarter and then let's talk. BTW - the dime is usually used as the target to benchmark detector depth performance. Obviously, a quarter should be detected deeper than a dime. The point is that consistency matters when comparing coil vs. coil and detector vs. detector.

IMO the variables beyond the detectorist's control make this whole depth thing subjective.

thanks for the reply , that's a hole lot of writing and sorry I wasn't clear . I put a freshly dug quarter at 12 inches with the 11 inch coil ,in relic mode with a little tweakin and hit it with no problem, even if I raised the coil up still hit it. also with.3.2. now same thing with 9 inch coil with 4.0. nothing.I no it would hit a 8 inch dime.I don't dig many deep targets anyway ,just like to no the machines limits.I liked the v3.2 and don't see the need for the 4.0 as of yet. it seems geared for the white coils which was my first thought when I heard about the up grade. I will try the test again and try your suggestions .thanks a gain I appreciate your feedback.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks for clarifying. Like I said, when a test target is that deep, unless the soil conditions and even the weather (e.g., relative humidity) are guaranteed equivalent between the two tests, it is hard to come to any conclusions.

I've found test garden target detectability with the exact same detector setup varies day to day, week to week because of these factors. Let us know what you find out. I have not done any scientific A-to-B comparisons between the two coils yet, but I don't expect depth performance to be wildly different between the two. The 11" should be deeper by perhaps an inch or two all other things being equal.

Last edited:

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks for clarifying. Like I said, when a test target is that deep, unless the soil conditions and even the weather (e.g., relative humidity) are guaranteed equivalent between the two tests, it is hard to come to any conclusions.

I've found test garden target detectability with the exact same detector setup varies day to day, week to week because of these factors. Let us know what you find out. I have not done any scientific A-to-B comparisons between the two coils yet, but I don't expect depth performance to be wildly different between the two. The 11" should be deeper by perhaps an inch or two all other things being equal.
yes I did it all over and got it to hit a 12inch freshly
dug quarter . I than went negative a few clicks on ground balance and got it to hit better .it seemed it hit better a couple inches off the ground.I no freshly dug targets are hard to hit , so if somethings deep that been there a while I no it will hit it, that is the point of my test, plus it's a new machine want to no if it's working correctly. it came with 4.0

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. Thanks for reporting back. Glad you did the negative GB bias test too. I have a buried quarter at about 9" or so and it has its good and bad days. Lol. Sounds like the new machine/coil checks out OK, now. Good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread