Version 4: Do you prefer the 11inch or the 9 inch coil. New purchase.

Prius

Sep 3, 2011
I am about to purchase a new Deus. After reading much of the forum history, I had decided on the 11inch coil. Now with version 4 out, I am wondering. I realize it is mostly subjective but this is what I perceive to be generally true.
11 inch coil is slightly to moderately deeper.
11 inch covers more ground.
11 inch is very close in separation and unmasking.
11 inch weighs 15 more grams.
No difference in price with new purchase.

I search mostly for relics and jewelry. Has version 4 changed the operating characteristics of either coil in a significant way? Just looking for some constructive input to assist in my purchase decision. Thanks.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like both coils, but honestly XP needs to release a shooter coil. I'd prefer that in dozed house sites where I find a lot of relics, even the 9'' at high reactivity misses targets.

I'd like the 11'' coil everywhere else and probably wouldn't use the 9'' anymore.

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the first question you have to answer yourself is, what types of places will you be hunting most of the time? If its open field where depth is of utmost important and little trash, I personally would choose the 11". If I was hunting parks/fairgrounds/places with a higher concentration of trash, I would choose the 9". Calabash has a video up of the 9" hitting a 12" quarter/15" half I believe - I recommend checking out his YouTube channel sometime and watch some of his videos before choosing. He seems to hunt relics the majority of the time and I've never seen him use the 11" in any of his videos other than for comparison tests.

Indiana Mark

Jul 28, 2016
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Safari
Fisher F75+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing to keep in mind- if you think you will eventually own both the 9 & 11 inch coils, get the 11 with your detector and buy the 9 later. Cheaper in the long run.
I like and use both. I feel the 9 hits good targets/coins harder than the 11.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to keep in mind- if you think you will eventually own both the 9 & 11 inch coils, get the 11 with your detector and buy the 9 later. Cheaper in the long run.

Completely agree.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do use the 9 90 % of the time its a very versatile coil for relics, deep seperates good etc. I will slap on the 11 in a open area. My buddys dred the day when we hunt fields or open spots not totally infested with iron and I bring out the 11 as they only own the 9 and I get that little extra coverage and depth. They start crying foul! If I could have only one coil it would be the 9 and I agree with the statements above it hits targets harder than the 11 , vferarri has said the 9 seems to be more in tune with the machine and I agree totally .

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the 11" and don't have the 9" and I can tell you this it separates better than my at pro and gold did in the iron with the small 5x8 I know no competition but I'm getting the new 9" hf coil for the deus so I'll see how that does in the trash in 15 khz. I hunt fields for relics and old coins. I look at old plat books and try and find the old homesteads where the fields are now. The 11" does great at this. I have no exp with the 9" like I said but since I buying the new HF coil don't see a need to get one. I'm sure it separates better than the 11" but dang the 11" can separate awesome and better than any detector I've ever owned. Good luck with your new deus you will enjoy it.

OP
OP
P

Prius

Sep 3, 2011
Thanks Kodiak,
i decided on the 9 inch package. UPS will deliver this Monday. Be sure to keep us posted on the new HF coil. Are get the elliptical or the round?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure yet. Still deciding on which one

Railo

Jan 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the 11" and don't have the 9" and I can tell you this it separates better than my at pro and gold did in the iron with the small 5x8 I know no competition but I'm getting the new 9" hf coil for the deus so I'll see how that does in the trash in 15 khz. I hunt fields for relics and old coins. I look at old plat books and try and find the old homesteads where the fields are now. The 11" does great at this. I have no exp with the 9" like I said but since I buying the new HF coil don't see a need to get one. I'm sure it separates better than the 11" but dang the 11" can separate awesome and better than any detector I've ever owned. Good luck with your new deus you will enjoy it.

Did you get the HF coil, or have anyone tried it in parks/modern trash ?
I asked in another thread if I should go with the standard 9'' coil, or the HF coil to be used with 14khz in modern trash compared to 12/18khz.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't bought the new coil yet I may just keep same setup and buy the new Garrett at max so I can get back in the rivers around me. That is the only drawback on the deus that I can't take it in the rivers.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't bought the new coil yet I may just keep same setup and buy the new Garrett at max so I can get back in the rivers around me. That is the only drawback on the deus that I can't take it in the rivers.

Sure you can, just purchase the underwater kit.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about the 11X13" coil? How does it compare to the 9 and 11 inch coils for depth and separation. Seems to me that you would want to use it in open fields, unless they miss small targets.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have both. I prefer the 11" because I "feel" like it covers more ground.

The processor is fast enough to separate the targets.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about the 11X13" coil? How does it compare to the 9 and 11 inch coils for depth and separation. Seems to me that you would want to use it in open fields, unless they miss small targets.

11x13 coil benefits (ground coverage, depth) are marginal compared to the 11" and in my opinion are overshadowed by the weight which practically requires that you invest in a third party shaft and stem as the stock Deus shaft over flexes with the 11x13 coil attached. Huge investment for very little if any gain compared to the 11". Performance wise have heard nothing good or bad about it. Apparently not a popular coil choice perhaps for the reasons I stated.

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had the same problem when I bought my deus and I went with the 11. I have sold that detector cause it was used . now I'm going to buy a brand new one, but I'm going with the nine inch.from what I seen the 9 is a little more money than the 11 and every time I see one for sale it has the 11 so it tells me that the market is flooded with 11 so it might be wise to buy a 9, than a 11 after words.this is the opposite way I went about it when I bought mine cause of what people where saying .most targets art that deep unless your in a field., but some people say the 11 hits better. just one man's experience.

Last edited:

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to add that sometimes the 11 would hit hard on some targets but on a shot gun she'll at 6 inches would hit very week which dumbfounded me. could been my settings don't no .so I did get the 11 with mine and wished I got the 9, but I guess I'll find out my self.so maybe someone that used both could help.just going by what I see.

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem when I bought my deus and I went with the 11. I have sold that detector cause it was used . now I'm going to buy a brand new one, but I'm going with the nine inch.from what I seen the 9 is a little more money than the 11 and every time I see one for sale it has the 11 so it tells me that the market is flooded with 11 so it might be wise to buy a 9, than a 11 after words.this is the opposite way I went about it when I bought mine cause of what people where saying .most targets art that deep unless your in a field., but some people say the 11 hits better. just one man's experience.

now I see the 11 is more ,don't no if people update there sites or not I'm in the market for one so I been checking prices. I also was saying if your buying just the coil.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now I see the 11 is more ,don't no if people update there sites or not I'm in the market for one so I been checking prices. I also was saying if your buying just the coil.

If you buy a complete new detector package they are usually priced the same if you get them with either coil. Separately, (new) you typically pay a $15 premium for the 11" coil vs. the 9". The 11x13" is typically $50 to $60 more than the 11". Interestingly, the 9" HF coil is about $60 less than the 9" legacy coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread