Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm kind of getting away from "programs" and simply tweaking what I need, when I need it. I do have a couple of favorite programs that act as starting points, but I'll lower the reactivity or boost sensitivity if the area is fairly clean and I think I could use more depth, or do just the opposite if I'm in a cluttered area and want to peek between the nails and bottlecaps.

I know that's not what you're asking (and there is a sticky thread for Deus programs here) but that's how I'm doing it this season.

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm kind of getting away from "programs" and simply tweaking what I need, when I need it. I do have a couple of favorite programs that act as starting points, but I'll lower the reactivity or boost sensitivity if the area is fairly clean and I think I could use more depth, or do just the opposite if I'm in a cluttered area and want to peek between the nails and bottlecaps.

I know that's not what you're asking (and there is a sticky thread for Deus programs here) but that's how I'm doing it this season.
I get it, and I appreciate the response as it makes sense. That's the beauty of the Deus. You can set it up to be site specific and dial it in where you need to be. Seems like sensitivity and reactivity are the two game changers. I guess I'll just start hunting in full tones, -2 discrim, reactivity at 2.5 and just go from there. If I get into an iron patch I'll adjust and vice versa if a "clean" site.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldilocks (Just Right) Program

*GB = Tracking/Ground Notch adjust to full black bar.
*Frequency = 8 or 12 khz
*Disc = 8 to 10/Tones = As desired
*Sensitivity = 90, adjust down as necessary to reduce chattiness/*Tx Power = 2
*Reactivity = 1/*Silencer = 0
Iron Vol= 3/As desired
Audio Response=As Desired (4)
No Notch

The settings with asterisks (*) affect target detection performance.

Last edited:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Goldilocks (Just Right) Program

*GB = Tracking/Ground Notch adjust to full black bar.
*Frequency = 8 or 12 khz
*Disc = 8 to 10/Tones = As desired
*Sensitivity = 90, adjust down as necessary to reduce chattiness/*Tx Power = 2
*Reactivity = 1/*Silencer = 0
Iron Vol= 3/As desired
Audio Response=As Desired (4)
No Notch

The settings with asterisks (*) affect target detection performance.

Good info and great title for settings!

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So Mr vferrari in your opinion what does ground notch really do? Does it effect depth? Would I miss targets because of this setting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Mr vferrari in your opinion what does ground notch really do? Does it effect depth? Would I miss targets because of this setting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Sabisch says it reduces ground noise without affecting depth (i.e.. there is no downside and no reason not to do it) but since I do not believe in free lunches, the YMMV caveat applies.

Think of it as a noise filter for ground minerals and minor changes in sensed ground conductivity. With GB - You balance the detector against the prevailing ground conductivity reading, track it to make your life simpler (but you can't negative bias against it to increase detection depth unless you go manual). With ground notch (a terminology misnomer in my opinion) you add a delay noise filter that filters out slight differences in conductivity/mineralization (e.g. hot rocks and cinders) and the ground phase imbalance that occurs as your coil naturally slightly raises and lowers above the ground plane when you swing, hence less ground feedback noise. Who knows, but it sure sounded good. Test garden checks with it cut in and out may be called for, but I am throwing caution to the wind and taking Andy at his word.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions