park competition and two deus's

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think he deleted the text after he posted it, for some reason. Perhaps to be continued. I can speculate based on the the title that he may be asking about whether 2 or more Deus in close proximity such as in a seeded competition hunt would interfere with each other. The answer is yes, if you are really close you can hear each other if you are on the same frequency. Each coil is tuned to operate at a slightly different frequency within the base frequency band which helps. Nevertheless, I have experienced the interference. The simple fix is to just change the operating frequency. You can shift frequency too, but that is actually harder to do (more keypresses) and introduces limitations such as locking in TX3. For a seeded hunt, it really shouldn't matter what frequency you are running because the targets are usually shallow so just change frequency and get on with the hunt.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To Be Continued.

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet the Deus won 8-)

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Park competitions are more about how fast you can dig targets than how fast or capably you can acquire them, since just about any machine will find the competition targets. That being said, I used a deus in a recent club hunt and the park was really trashy and providing misleading wraparound signals that gave high tones. I used full tones and set disc at -6.4 (v 4 setting) and let my ears do the discrimination and there was no mistaking the contest targets. Unfortunately, I need to work on my pinpointing technique and target recovery speed (not talking about the Deus reactivity speed, which at 2.5 was perfect for the contest) to up my recovery numbers, but it's a fun adult easter egg hunt, nevertheless. Especially fun when they put 24 detectorists with every VLF machine imaginable in a 25' x 25' square and have them all go at it for 24 clad targets and tokens. I survived and managed to snag a few key targets in that melee and was pleasantly surprised at how well the Deus dealt with adjacent detector interference, being able to quickly change operating frequency on the fly was key. BTW, I learned that the back (battery compartment) end of an F75 when lying on the ground rings up sweet like a silver half - lol. I came out ahead of my investment when all was said and done, so I can't complain.

Last edited:

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had to think about that.

Sort of the equivalent to a Slamdance in a Mosh Pit.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's kind of like not how fast you can mow, but how well you can mow fast. I like the sand beach competitions better. Less work.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's kind of like not how fast you can mow, but how well you can mow fast. I like the sand beach competitions better. Less work.

I agree. Same story but a lot easier to scoop and run. lol

Prius

Sep 3, 2011
In Gary's videos, he talks about being aware of the Deus nip. It is getting you finger pinched by the cam-lock. Out for only my second run with the new Deus today. Caught the tip of my index finger. Lesson learned.

Last edited:

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there is a Deus next to a body in the park, they was competing, words exchanged as each found a great find, one after the other finally at a fevered pitch shots are fired, missed, then they go to swing at each other with the machines but they both realized how foolish that was and continued to out do each other till they both come across pointed sticks, in a scene from a bad 60's movie with a gang knife fight in the Bronx, they square off and circle intensely (This is where in the movie close ups are done of each guys face, dripping with sweat, shifty eyes...) anyway still holding the deus they hear clear silver signals, BAM! reality.....They dig and dig and find a merc each, rubbin the dirt, lookin for dates they realized, they like each other, are friends, no need to compete, plenty of park for all as they break out into harmonized "Kumbaya" the slightly off key guy (the body) simply states he is sorry for all that happened and is glad they are friends again but needs a nap and lays down by a tree.......

A body with a deus next to it......

What you thought it would be violent?

LOL

OP
OP
B

boxxxer

Feb 25, 2015
ohio
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT pro, 8.5x11 and 5x8 and nel storm coil
Deus ws4 with 11 inch coil, hf coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rest of the story, did a lot of research on detectors. I wanted to find one that would give me an edge on land in trashy areas and old home sites. I hit this park I have been hitting with my at pro for several months. first spot I had hit on multiple occasions and wanted to see what I had missed. First time out with deus, Getting late so I wanted to hit one more spot before dark, pulled into parking lot, and what do you think I saw another detectorist using a deus...Just simply astonished.......couldn't believe my eyes....So hence competition in the park. Went up and talked for awhile made a friend and plan to hunt together. what's that old saying keep competition close...lol. have had deus since mar 22nd almost a month. have only used 4.0 so far so no comparison data have been hunting on average of 60-80 hours a week. later will post 1 month finds. almost to the 200 hour mark. have spent hours reading sabisch book and has helped immensely. have experimented and am trying to understand all crazy sounds intermittently. last night I had multiple tones and separated barely but vdi bounced from 76-92 didn't make any sense. I usually dig these to put them in brain archives. Dug them and found a Canadian quarter 1984, a Canadian dime 1971 another Canadian dime 1963 and then I saw gold........heart raced carefully removing dirt and it was a coin. further examination I thought it was an 1851 10 franc coin, looked at it closer and it was a 1951 instead, gold in color, aluminum and brass....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread