WS4 headphone volume : how high to hear faint signals?

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WS 5 @ 6. I don't think anyone could hear anything from mine at 1.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that's pretty low. I have the WS4's and I believe mine are on "5". The other thing to do is adjust your audio response.

OP
OP
P

Prius

Sep 3, 2011
Well I have had my Deus for week. My WS4 phones are on 1 and it seems plenty loud. I will check the audio response on the remote. Thanks.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pardon these basic questions. Not trying to be disrespectful, just making sure we are singing from the same sheet of music because volume at 1 seems impossibly low, especially since the turn on default setting is 5 or 6, I think (will have to test this). Since the Headphone uses a multifunction display, are you sure your phones volume is set at 1 and you are not mistaking the display with program 1 or some other setting? Have you adjusted the volume higher to be sure what you are seeing is the volume control. I have mine set at 6 or 7. Just making sure.

OP
OP
P

Prius

Sep 3, 2011
Hi VF,
No pardons needed. I am reading every post that I can find. Appreciate all your posts. I set up my Deus last Saturday. Upgraded to V4 no problems except for my dinged index finger. I could hear the headphones when they were pairing and thought to myself, that is kind of loud. Tabbed through the menu and set it at volume 1 and got 2 hours in yesterday. Just now powered up the WS4 and cycled through the menu. Yup, volume is on one. Cycled all the way. It tops out at 9 . Put it back on one. Turned on the remote, cancelled remote speaker, passed targets over the coil. 1 is plenty loud. Cycled it up, 2,3,4,5 way too loud. Checking the default programs audio response.
1 basic.. 4
2 GM power.. 4
3 Deus Fast.. 4
4. Pitch.. 4
5 G Max. 4
6. Deep. 4
7 Wet Beach 1
8. Dry Beach. 4
9. Hot. 3
10. Gold Field. 2

i am guessing these are the default audio responses since they are what I show when I power the remote on , off, then on again. So should I decrease the audio response and increase the headphone volume or would that be a wash? Very strange it is loud on 1. I must be missing something?

Ok, update. I see that when the remote is on, that you can only control the volume with the buttons on the headset. You can't cycle through all the other options. When the remote is off, I can cycle through all options on the headset. My guess is that my headphones are showing volume 1, but that I am actually hearing the audio response volume of the remote on the headphones that is defaulting on the above listed programs when the remote is on. I still wonder why no one else is on headphone volume 1. Love this machine already.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi VF,
No pardons needed. I am reading every post that I can find. Appreciate all your posts. I set up my Deus last Saturday. Upgraded to V4 no problems except for my dinged index finger. I could hear the headphones when they were pairing and thought to myself, that is kind of loud. Tabbed through the menu and set it at volume 1 and got 2 hours in yesterday. Just now powered up the WS4 and cycled through the menu. Yup, volume is on one. Cycled all the way. It tops out at 9 . Put it back on one. Turned on the remote, cancelled remote speaker, passed targets over the coil. 1 is plenty loud. Cycled it up, 2,3,4,5 way too loud. Checking the default programs audio response.
1 basic.. 4
2 GM power.. 4
3 Deus Fast.. 4
4. Pitch.. 4
5 G Max. 4
6. Deep. 4
7 Wet Beach 1
8. Dry Beach. 4
9. Hot. 3
10. Gold Field. 2

i am guessing these are the default audio responses since they are what I show when I power the remote on , off, then on again. So should I decrease the audio response and increase the headphone volume or would that be a wash? Very strange it is loud on 1. I must be missing something?

Thanks for checking on that. Yes very strange. But if it is working for you at 1 and too loud at higher volumes, then I would just leave it alone. Lowering audio response just changes whether "deeper" targets (or targets the Deus perceives as deep based on a coin sized reference target signal) will have a fainter response. Large or shallow targets will still boom through and may be just as loud even if you lower audio response. Strange.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I keep my WS4s at "1". Even at 2 they seem way too loud. At 5 they would make my ears bleed :icon_scratch:

I run with an Audio Response set at 3.

OP
OP
P

Prius

Sep 3, 2011
I keep my WS4s at "1". Even at 2 they seem way too loud. At 5 they would make my ears bleed :icon_scratch:

I run with an Audio Response set at 3.
OK, I am not alone. Feel a little better now.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something's off. So you hit the menu button on your headphones....cycle through until it's says volume....and it says "1"?

OP
OP
P

Prius

Sep 3, 2011
Something's off. So you hit the menu button on your headphones....cycle through until it's says volume....and it says "1"?
Yes sir. Just did it again right now. Turned it on, cycled through the menu to volume and it is on one.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the WS5's and set my volume at 3. It is odd to be a 1 and have it be too loud.
How do you guys like the WS4's?
I didn't think I would like the way they sit on the back part of the head. Look odd but then again, I have never tried them.

OP
OP
P

Prius

Sep 3, 2011
I have the WS5's and set my volume at 3. It is odd to be a 1 and have it be too loud.
I didn't think I would like the way they sit on the back part of the head. Look odd but then again, I have never tried them.

Hi SDT, not enough experience on the WS4, but initial use is positive. The reason I got the WS4 is because of the heat in summer. I plan on getting the Deteknix phones that take the puck for fall and winter.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6-7 here with 8 being for when I one ear it in noisy environments.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or at least that's what I thought they were...... I'll have to recheck on today's lunch hunt and get back to you..... that would mean I'm near def from what yalls settings are....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi SDT, not enough experience on the WS4, but initial use is positive. The reason I got the WS4 is because of the heat in summer. I plan on getting the Deteknix phones that take the puck for fall and winter.

That's a good plan. You will like the Deteknix phones, and you can't beat the price...the best of both worlds.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus

Indeed it does. And it gets louder if I scroll up. Now, I am usually out in the middle of the woods and the only background noise is the wind blowing through the trees. So unless I am in a howling wind, a setting of "1" is sufficiently loud enough for me.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think the WS4 has several subtle and not so subtle advantages vs. the WS5's

1) The backphones are light and inexpensive should they break since the WS4 puck (the expensive part) is detachable, unlike the control unit on the WS5 - if the WS5 phones break, you are sending the whole thing back in for repair and have lost the secondary control unit. Backphones are good for the beach and hot conditions. Surprisingly good sound for what they are.

2) The WS4 puck is considered highly water resistant, some even say waterproof (though I would not push it with underwater detecting, but if you take an occasional accidental dunk, probably not a problem and they definitely can handle a downpour without a problem). My understanding is that the WS5's are not water resistant.

3) The WS4 puck can be attached to a number of third party over the ear phones to give WS5 like functionality and keep your ears warm or keep out distracting outside noise. My (new) favorite third party cans for the WS4 are the Deteknix which are also weatherproof, sound good, comfortable, relatively inexpensive compared to its direct competitors (the Vance Phones and the Grey Ghosts), and have a hardwired jack that enables them to be used in a wired configuration if necessary.

4) The detachable nature of the WS4 puck also allows it to be attached to a number of XP accessory mounts such as on the pole stem, a watch like band, or a forearm/bicep pouch and there is a headphone adapter attachment you can purchase separately for about $20US such that you can plug in your favorite wired phones to the WS4 control module, if desired.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WS4 at 1 or 2 makes no sense to me. Im at 6-7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread