new hf coil

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was playing with Tracking and tried what you did. Do you remember what you notched out? What were you at for GB? I was between 78 - 85 when tracking. I thought I read somewhere going below 85 was bad.... is that only the case if you GB is steady around 90?

When you say take the ground notch to all black, just keep clicking till it goes to 60?

View attachment 1442356

In the pic above, Looks like GB is set at 90 and the actual reading is 79. If so, what would be a suggested ground notch?

I might be confusing myself here?!?!?! :tongue3:
Appreciate any info.

Yes, keep pressing until it goes to 60.

On the second screen. Just pump or swing the coil until tracking syncs up with the actual ground reading.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, keep pressing until it goes to 60.

On the second screen. Just pump or swing the coil until tracking syncs up with the actual ground reading.

Thanks for the info. I will try it next swing. The screen shot was from the manual so it wasn't my actual ground, wanted to put up a visual to make it easier for me. When I am on tracking, it does keep up with my soil. Sometime it is down between 78- 85... as long as it is in tracking mode, I shouldn't worry what it says, right? If I was in manual, set at the recommended 90, would the machine act funny when the ground drops off to the low 80 high 70 range?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, in tracking you shouldn't have to worry about it. However, when you set the machine down for target recovery, it will take 5 to 10 seconds of pumping or swinging for tracking to lock on again. Same when changing modes or programs. If you have GB in manual and set at a fixed number that is not +/- 5 units within the actual GB reading you will suffer one of two fates. If actual GB is significantly lower than the manual setting, you will lose signifant detection depth. If significantly higher, then the Deus will get really noisy and obscure actual target audio. Some folks bias manual GB slightly less than actual, -3 or so (sometimes called negative bias) and that may give you a little extra depth at the expense of some noise but it is still usable. Pushing it any more and the noise overwhelms. HTH.

Last edited:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info!
I will keep using tracking as some spots I have swung at go from hi 70's to high 80's and back and forth. Too much to keep changing all the time.
Good point you made - "when you set the machine down for target recovery, it will take 5 to 10 seconds of pumping or swinging for tracking to lock on again. Same when changing modes or programs"
I always do this when changing modes and when I start swinging again after a dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions