boxxxer

Feb 25, 2015
ohio
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT pro, 8.5x11 and 5x8 and nel storm coil
Deus ws4 with 11 inch coil, hf coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have been coin hunting and trying various programs I have noticed when hunting, when I get 2 tones back to back and sometimes 2-3 mid tones and a high tone. I look at vdi and here is one example.. 2 tones and vdi hits 64-66 then 84-85 and then after passing over several times it hits constant 74-75-76. I dig it and it is a nickel and a zinc penny. 2 quarters is 96, 3 quarters 98, had a Kennedy half not silver and dime hit 94-95 and so on, a dime and a Wheatie is 89-90, quarter and a nickel reads 84-86, this happens quite a lot so much in fact it has a special sound never the same but similar. so is this normal, does it average the entire metal content when the coins are (side to side touching each other) and produce the vdi to match? the depth average so far is about 5-8 inches do not have mineralized soil.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found when coins are mixed or even coins of the same type and metal content will produce a different VDI then just a single coin. I think most machines are tuned to find single coins the best, and they also are tuned to combine the total metal content if that makes sense.
Let's says you have a 1960 dime and a 1999 nickel next to each other in the hole. Your VDI will be some where between the two, as the machine will "average" the metal content.

I could be full of air on this one but that's what I have seen from most machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just digging all those high tones/numbers (i.e., anything in the 70's or above) regardless unless it sounds like an aluminum can (overload sound), irregular metal piece (based on the squirrely trailing tone, or I determine its a crown cap. I dig nothing in 30's, 40's, or 60's (when coinshooting - relic hunting is a different matter). If it's in the low to mid-50's I usually dig it unless I can determine for sure its a beaver tail or pull tab. Are you running full tones BTW? Also, I am not lucky enough to run into many coin spills so I rarely encounter the averaging or adding phenomenon, but think Austin has it about right. Certainly the metal volume/mass part seems correct. Not sure about the averaging of dissimilar metals, but I know that multiple metal objects in a hole will mess with the displayed target ID accuracy. Life must be rough where you are hunting to have to constantly deal with the burden of multiple coins in the hole messing with your TIDs and tones. lol. I only poke fun because I'm jealous.

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really forget them numbers and go by the tones.....IMO

Jim

OP
OP
B

boxxxer

Feb 25, 2015
ohio
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT pro, 8.5x11 and 5x8 and nel storm coil
Deus ws4 with 11 inch coil, hf coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info helps a lot, as for tones have tried 3,4,5, have spent just about 200 hours this last month. this has been my observation so far, new to machine also just a month old. learning curve on caps and screw lids and tails have similar numbers to coins especially when coins are mixed, trying to learn xy screen to tell difference, I purchased this for the sole purpose of coin hunting in trashy areas. quite a few detectorists in the area but very few hunt the areas I do because of the trash.used at pro for 13 months and I'm re-searching those spots and amazed what was missed. I grid search the areas also. and vferrari, I searched for silver for months with at pro found some, but now I concentrate on clad, rings and jewelry. with the clad I can buy silver...lol, except for the occasional key date coin, like the 1926 s merc I recently found. sent it off to have it graded. hopefully it will be above au50. I mainly search parks, soccer and ball fields and fairgrounds all hi traffic areas. found on maps back to 1872 to present. most of the clad spots are reloaded every week.. I have to say the deus was one of the best purchases ever

DigDeepNow

Jul 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"1926 s merc I recently found. sent it off to have it graded. hopefully it will be above au50"

Nice find......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread