Deus V4 and MI6 Pinpointer Prove Themselves with Some Nice Brass CW Finds

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokeythecat graciously invited me to a permission in south eastern PA that appears to be a picket post guarding a key road that may have been thought to be used by Stuart's Cavalry when he was attacking targets of opportunity and disrupting Northern supply lines in the run up to Gettysburg. The site has been producing mainly Union relics but some Confederate bullets and buttons have also been found here. I was told I would likely hit a bullet as soon as I started swinging, and was not disappointed to pull a small caliber, perhaps carbine projectile from the dirt within a minute of hitting the field. I proceeded to pull a couple additional Minie balls, some copper/brass spoon heads, melted led blobs, a small brass buckle, three flat buttons, and a J-Hook from the field in a little over two hours of swinging the Deus. Smokey and Darryl who have hit this site a number of times pulled some similar relics including each grabbing a few early coppers as well. Would have loved to join the copper party, but I was king of the flat buttons that day. lol. Besides, how can you compete with smokey who just points to the ground and says, is that a copper? Sure enuff, it was. Doesn't even need a detector, apparently. Other modern objects (a zippo lighter and modern bullets) and junk (aluminum) also rang out loud and clear. It was great little outing and was always pleased to see the greenish hue of the brass/copper items show up under my pinpointer. V4 is running beautifully under these conditions (mild soil, little to no EMI) even with Disc set at -6.4 and Gold Field runs relatively quiet as well. The best part is that auto ground tracking was steady and I have really bought into the MI6 integrated pinpointer sounding off clearly in my headphones with great sensitivity and little to no falsing. Anyway, a great day to be out and added some nice CW relics to my collection. Thanks Smokey and Darryl for letting me tag along at your site and can't wait to do it again.

20170425_234649.jpg

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That flat looks big enough to be a LC. :icon_thumright:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds V! You run the No 10 the whole time?

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That flat looks big enough to be a LC. :icon_thumright:

I know, the thing is ridiculously huge. The broken shank is the only clue it is a button.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds V! You run the No 10 the whole time?

No, just for a short while for kicks. Really like running 8 and/or 12 khz full tones hot custom programs at 2.5 Rx since you can go just by the tones alone, esp if a deep target is not displaying a TID or is partially masked by adjacent iron. GF works better as an alternative for hot soil where you are digging all repeatable signals.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that was my dad's lighter. Anyway, we'll get together again and you'll have to tweak my Deus! Too bad we didn't think of that last week! After you and Darryl left, I went to my other spot (I wasn't tired enough) and that's when I stumbled on the new permission with more CW relics. That was about 25 miles away. At this point, too many sites, not enough time. I've been using my coin mode #13 in trashy areas and camps. It cancels out most of the small iron and I can discriminate out foil (although sometimes I dig it just to make sure). Got EIGHT buckles and Confederate harness pieces this week, a couple wheaties, silver Roosevelt, a bunch of CW period horseshoes and lastly an early Spanish silver cob, and inner part to a shoe buckle. I lost the buckle piece. Think I know where it is, where I dumped out my bucket and have laid the cob around here....somewhere. I'll find it.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt man :occasion14: I haven't been out much since upgrading, but I was able to use the MI-6 for a few hours last Sunday and I loved it too.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the hot 12k programs to. Went down to Alabama to hunt with Tabman in that nasty red soil in parts down there and found a couple flat buttons and round balls at respectable depths with good IDs with the new v4. Tracking GB seems light years better

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for sharing the history of the recovery location. Very nice finds there. I like your detector expertise and information filled posts.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt man :occasion14: I haven't been out much since upgrading, but I was able to use the MI-6 for a few hours last Sunday and I loved it too.

Thanks! I am now really not missing vibration mode when using it paired to the Deus. Seems really sensitive without saturating and falsing. Also, per you other thread, I recharged it and verified that it flashes 4 sec on, 4 sec off when fully charged. It makes some strange noises when activated in pinpoint mode when paired with the Deus that I cannot tell whether that is a heartbeat/locater signal or if there is some problem with it. Can't find an explanation in the "manual" but since it hasn't really affected functionality I am taking my time trying to figure it out.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that was my dad's lighter. Anyway, we'll get together again and you'll have to tweak my Deus! Too bad we didn't think of that last week! After you and Darryl left, I went to my other spot (I wasn't tired enough) and that's when I stumbled on the new permission with more CW relics. That was about 25 miles away. At this point, too many sites, not enough time. I've been using my coin mode #13 in trashy areas and camps. It cancels out most of the small iron and I can discriminate out foil (although sometimes I dig it just to make sure). Got EIGHT buckles and Confederate harness pieces this week, a couple wheaties, silver Roosevelt, a bunch of CW period horseshoes and lastly an early Spanish silver cob, and inner part to a shoe buckle. I lost the buckle piece. Think I know where it is, where I dumped out my bucket and have laid the cob around here....somewhere. I'll find it.

Too many sites and not enough time is a great problem to have! lol. If you need help...feel free to call.

Coin mode works fine, the only difference between the Andy S coin and relic modes is really the discrimination and its really not a big difference at that (10 for coins and 8 for relics, if I recall). I will look into it further. Would really like to get you working in full tones mode, but that might make you even more dangerous than you already are - lol. Basically, just keep doing what you are doing because its working.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing the history of the recovery location. Very nice finds there. I like your detector expertise and information filled posts.

Thanks. I try to make it a little interesting and the history also plays into hunt strategies too. For example, a winter encampment is probably going to be more about hut digging than surface finds, especially if it has been pounded. This was a short term picket post or something on high ground. The finds at this particular site where very close to the surface, some must have been moved there when the field was recently disked, but it also has not been heavily hunted (...yet!). It was really a diggers paradise with great weather, no field stubble, easy digging with a muddy, disked field that was not too fluffy, and of course plenty of good targets. I didn't realize until it was over that I didn't dig one square nail, which was strange. Passed over all the iron because time was limited. The only nuisance being a number of modern bullets sprinkled about, some scant modern trash, and some hot rocks. Apparently, a previous landowner liked to take target practice at the groundhogs. lol. Really was a fun time with great company! I think it has A LOT more history to give up.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It makes some strange noises when activated in pinpoint mode when paired with the Deus that I cannot tell whether that is a heartbeat/locater signal or if there is some problem with it. Can't find an explanation in the "manual" but since it hasn't really affected functionality I am taking my time trying to figure it out.

Are you talking about a little "bleep" during use that's not related to target detection? I've heard it too. It happens when I've been using the pointer for a while. I think that's just to remind you that it's on and still in use. Kind of like when you leave a Garret on the ground while it's still on...it will give out a little bleep.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you talking about a little "bleep" during use that's not related to target detection? I've heard it too. It happens when I've been using the pointer for a while. I think that's just to remind you that it's on and still in use. Kind of like when you leave a Garret on the ground while it's still on...it will give out a little bleep.

Yeah. That's what I've been thinking, but I can't find anything written up in the manual on it. Plus the bleep timing is random, sometimes I hear it right after I've turned on the pinpointer and its ground balanced. Strange.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only found a few square nails in the part of the field we were looking at. On the other ridge there is more iron. I think there was a building there once upon a time ago. The woods is polluted with iron. This picket post I assume had no structures. It's apparently not a "camp". We have only found not quite enough bullets for 1 cartridge box, a couple buckles or breast plates, I think now 3 eagle buttons and a couple flat ones, one Confederate button, probably somebody's war trophy, misc. stuff and a quadzillion modern bullets. Used for groundhog killings! Oh the horror of it! Groundhogs were eating the garden.

I think we have found 1 pistol bullet, about 4 coppers, 3 silvers, a big brass key, only 2 caliber of minie balls, 54 and 58 and a spattering of misc. stuff.

So what haven't we found? GOLD! CW tokens, any really early coin or a colonial coin, gun parts, ID tags, artillery anything (but I really would not expect that from this site), personal items, etc. We found a few non descript buckles, like "D" buckles. No kepi buttons and number or letters.

I concur it was a picket post. Might have only been occupied for a few days. Other possibility is the landowners' family discarded the stuff after the war, that was what we first thought, but now I don't think that's the case.

The ground is so rocky, I don't think the stuff can go deep, plus with the deep discing, it's been fun.

We did find an early 20th century coin spill on one side of the farm. This is a 50 acre plus piece of property which will keep us busy for YEARS. to come.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. That's what I've been thinking, but I can't find anything written up in the manual on it. Plus the bleep timing is random, sometimes I hear it right after I've turned on the pinpointer and its ground balanced. Strange.

If you find out let me know.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only found a few square nails in the part of the field we were looking at. On the other ridge there is more iron. I think there was a building there once upon a time ago. The woods is polluted with iron. This picket post I assume had no structures. It's apparently not a "camp". We have only found not quite enough bullets for 1 cartridge box, a couple buckles or breast plates, I think now 3 eagle buttons and a couple flat ones, one Confederate button, probably somebody's war trophy, misc. stuff and a quadzillion modern bullets. Used for groundhog killings! Oh the horror of it! Groundhogs were eating the garden.

I think we have found 1 pistol bullet, about 4 coppers, 3 silvers, a big brass key, only 2 caliber of minie balls, 54 and 58 and a spattering of misc. stuff.

So what haven't we found? GOLD! CW tokens, any really early coin or a colonial coin, gun parts, ID tags, artillery anything (but I really would not expect that from this site), personal items, etc. We found a few non descript buckles, like "D" buckles. No kepi buttons and number or letters.

I concur it was a picket post. Might have only been occupied for a few days. Other possibility is the landowners' family discarded the stuff after the war, that was what we first thought, but now I don't think that's the case.

The ground is so rocky, I don't think the stuff can go deep, plus with the deep discing, it's been fun.

We did find an early 20th century coin spill on one side of the farm. This is a 50 acre plus piece of property which will keep us busy for YEARS. to come.

I had my phone tracker/property line program on (OnX Hunt) which I use to "catalog" my finds with a photo and GPS coordinate. Looking at the track we were hunting in only a 50 sq. yard patch of ground (at least where all the finds were located) save for one flat button I found a little further away. Pretty high density for those relics. Would like to hit that ridge further down the hill next time and you know why, smokey. ;)

Forgot to ask you, but I assume all the CW bullets you've found there were drops. No fired?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread