All Treasure Hunting

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been running with "tracking" since upgrading to Version 4.0 with no issues. I have also notched the entire ground bar per Vferrari's boot camp post which has quieted my machine down some. You may want to try that and see how that does for you.

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure

Go to GB/TRACKING/EXPERT/ and hold down the "-" key until the bar 60-90 fills up, then back arrow twice.

I got this tip from Vferrari's post, a couple responses down:

Yes he said that Tracking should be the preferred method of GB even in trashy areas with Version 4 - He did not recommend that with the way it was implemented in Version 3.2. YMMV as usual.

"Another thing I forgot to mention is that to reduce ground feedback noise, you should set Ground notch active for the entire range of ground conductivities 70 to 99. In other words, go into Ground Notch (expert setting in the Ground Balance menu screen) and hit the + button until the whole bar is blacked out. Again, I would personally experiment with this to see if it made a difference but Andy basically said that there is no downside to doing this. Go figure. Don't fully understand it, but I tried it during the field session and had no adverse affects. Representing team TNET, I maintained some cred but logging the most natural keeper finds (9) in the short field session - lol. Got some XP bling for my efforts. ha."

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I have been running my deus at the factory setting of 90 on the ground balance. I have noticed that the actual number varies between 83-90. My question is what am I really losing on performance by not manually lowering the ground balance at or below the actual ground balance. I'll hang up and listen

If you just leave it as is (i.e., don't use tracking or constantly manually rebalance within +/- 3 of the actual GB reading), your machine will either run noisy if actual GB is higher than set GB or you will lose depth if actual GB is lower than set GB. The adverse effect significantly increases the greater the delta between the two numbers. I see no real downside to running tracking GB as your default GB mode other than if you want to manually bias set GB slightly lower than actual to eek out a little more depth at the expense of some increased noise. HTH

Last edited:

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you just leave it as is (i.e., don't use tracking or constantly manually rebalance within +/- 3 of the actual GB reading), your machine will either run noisy if actual GB is higher than set GB or you will lose depth if actual GB is greater than set GB. The adverse effect significantly increases the greater the delta between the two numbers. I see no real downside to running tracking GB as your default GB mode other than if you want to manually bias set GB slightly lower than actual to eek out a little more depth at the expense of some increased noise. HTH

Vferrari - any idea why XP didn't allow an adjustable +/- to the tracked GB value? I would love to be able to run with Tracking/-2. I didn't know if perhaps that was coming in a future update or if it came up at all during the boot camp?

Also - I have never hunted a site where the GB did not fluctuate by at least 5 points. (Example: 85-90).

I like to run slightly negative but absolutely hate chasing GB numbers when trying to focus on signals. Hence, why I use tracking 100% of the time w/ full ground notch 60-90.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, a big missed opportunity again IMO on a feature that would be really easy to implement. I asked Andy that very question at Bootcamp. He was just as miffed because he expected and wanted that feature too. He said it was in an early beta, but got dropped along the way by XP without explanation. Rumor has it that if XP CEO doesn't personally use or see the value in a feature, it will not make it into the software, no other explanation needed. Hence you get ID Norm referenced to 18khz instead of 8 or 12khz (which severely compresses the high conductor target IDs), no disc or TID on the pinpointer (even though the hardware supports it), no gb tracking bias, and other head scratchers. Annoying, but overall still a great detecting system nevertheless.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive always manually set my ground balance to 85 and keep my sensitivity at 90. Machine is plenty quiet and plenty deep. My soil is mild with ground phase numbers low to mid 80s though they can jump around and go as low as 60 when hunting fertilized fields. I just dont like running a low ground number. Machine gets too chatty and sounds off when coil touches about anything. I know ground notch fixes this but Ive heard you lose depth

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andy Sabisch insists that you do not lose depth with ground notch maximized. The machine just becomes more quiet. That is consistent with my experience.

Sent from my SM-G935P using TreasureNet.com mobile app

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Andy Sabisch insists that you do not lose depth with ground notch maximized. The machine just becomes more quiet. That is consistent with my experience.

Sent from my SM-G935P using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Same. More focus on signals + less attention needed for GB value/ground noise = more productive hunts.

Hopefully, at some point in the future, GB offsets +/- will be implemented.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread