Fubar

Apr 25, 2017
SWMO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello!
I thought I'd drop in and say hi :hello:, because I have a feeling I will spend a lot of time here, below is a link to my introduction. I received my XP last Tuesday, took it for a short test run using 3.2 Basic 1 and found some can spam and a penny. I went ahead and updated to 4.0 since this is my first time metal detecting and my MI-6 is on the way.

I just started reading Andy Sabisch book and noticed it is geared toward version 2.X / 3.2. Do you think I should revert back to version 3.2 to avoid any confusion?

:coffee2:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/new-member-introductions/539252-new-guy.html#post5381763

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't go back to a previous program, but an XP for your first detector might be a bit overwhelming to learn. They are good machines but take a long time to master. Books and such will help you to figure out what stuff does, but nothing substitutes actual time spent listening and digging. Good luck!
(My digging buddy has an XP, so my knowledge about them is second hand)

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Fubar, and welcome!

I suggest sticking with 4.0 and still reading Andy's book. All of the concepts in his book still apply to 4.0. I also recommend going to the XP website to read up on what was added in 4.0 since his book came out (3.2)

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on the new Deus Fubar! I'm a new Deus user too and with a little training of your ears you'll be up to speed in no time. Best of luck!

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome looking forward to seeing your many glorious finds

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum and this Deus section.

I'm still a fairly new owner of the Deus, recieving it Jan 2017.

This is my first metal detector and with my technical background do not find the XP Deus overwhelming nor difficult to learn.

I do realize as others with high expertise have said - you need 100 and more hours of actual use to learn the tones verses settings and target type and position. Hands on learning, like any other detector, and maybe more since with version 4.0 we have an assortment of technical programs that only hands on can teach how they differ in finding targets, such as the X -Y programs.

The Deus to me is a joy to use, with high versatility.

Last edited:

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay 4.0, read Andys book, watch ALL of Garys videos in the classroom. Decide full tones or some other and stick with them, dont bounce around between 3 tones, 4, 5 full, it will cause you to learn slower. Forget the VDI and LISTEN to the tones, it will seem like your getting nowhere, then one day BAM! it all clicks and your ***** grows larger.......

Seriously, take your time, be smart and have fun!

Ask a ton of questions, no mater how dumb you think they are, cause non are dumb.

Jim

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it you have all the right resources. You won't be fubar for long! Lol

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings Fubar!

I think the Deus will make you change your Avatar.

The Deus is quite a Sifter.

:metaldetector::goldbar::coins::icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Apr 25, 2017
SWMO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings Fubar!

I think the Deus will make you change your Avatar.

The Deus is quite a Sifter.

:metaldetector::goldbar::coins::icon_thumright:

Hello Geochem, LOL!:laughing7:
Rain finely cleared out, had a bunch of honey do's to do, and will be meeting with the local club this evening. From what I understand they will assign a sponsor to get me started on the right foot. :thumbsup:

chazzcage

Nov 12, 2010
Wilmington, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_5826.JPG

I would highly recommend building yourself a test box and learn from using it the sounds and depth. USe different metals and even put nails and iron at depths with the goodies to hear the difference.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another quite new deus user here, I'm quite sure you'll enjoy the deus. I do.
Go out and dig some, I never liked the test garden thing. I'd rather be out digging some finds!

chazzcage

Nov 12, 2010
Wilmington, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree we all would rather be out digging but by using the test box under a controlled environment you can quickly understand the different tones and sounds and prevent yourself from digging endless targets you might not otherwise dig saving you time to dig those more true targets. You will dig tons of trash until you learn those sweet sounds.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree we all would rather be out digging but by using the test box under a controlled environment you can quickly understand the different tones and sounds and prevent yourself from digging endless targets you might not otherwise dig saving you time to dig those more true targets. You will dig tons of trash until you learn those sweet sounds.

I mostly do relic hunting - so I dig almost everything anyway. For coins I have set up a 3-tone program the way I like, not much to learn really. :)
As a side note, I think most of us dig tons of trash regardless. I certainly do!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
As a new user to any metal detector, you purchased a primo machine that will pay you off with delights. Just swing it often, stay with it, read Andy's book (and if possible attend one of his Deus boot camps), and just be patient. It is complex, primo machines are, so do the "ground" work :)

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, it's a smokin first machine.

Ha! I just imagine full tones 0 disc pumping signals into virgin ears. Like bitter foods, it's an aquired taste. :laughing9:

Good hunting with your new machine.

coil2thesoil35

May 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an iphone7 plus red 128 gig I wanna trade for an e-trac or an xp deus! 3256420916 text me for pics ! I hunt with an at pro and I'm up to 22 silver dimes and 5 huge .925 rings! AT Pr0 is the best machine for the money but I'm dying for an xp deus

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Apr 25, 2017
SWMO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a new user to any metal detector, you purchased a primo machine that will pay you off with delights. Just swing it often, stay with it, read Andy's book (and if possible attend one of his Deus boot camps), and just be patient. It is complex, primo machines are, so do the "ground" work :)

Thanks for the tip, I do have Andy's book and missed getting into the Portage Indiana Boot camp by one day. When I first checked there were 2 seats left. The next day I went to the site to sign up, the seats were sold out. :sad10:

Yeah, it's a smokin first machine.

Ha! I just imagine full tones 0 disc pumping signals into virgin ears. Like bitter foods, it's an aquired taste. :laughing9:

Good hunting with your new machine.

LOL! I think I looked like the guy in your Icon. I do have it on Deus Fast full tone. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions