Alright Deus Boys! Here is where the Deus Shines. Monster Old Slver In Northern Ca

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20170501_060315.jpg 20170501_060257.jpg Good Evening folks, Let me start off by saying I am freaking out right now, Literally, shaking and I never do that.:tongue3: So on to the story, I was at my friends house today hanging out like I have done for the last 20 years and he has about 10 acres of land. We are in a area that was a huge area during the gold rush here in Ca. I have always wondered about his pasture that the horses feed in. A few times over the years I have walked in the field and thought I should detect this sometime. The way the land lays I have always thought this would be a great spot for a old house. Right up the road is what is left of a rock building that was a stage stop on his neighbors property so that further made me think I should detect it. Not sure why it took me so long to do it?? lol

So today I told my buddy I was going to detect in the pasture and he said go for it. That was in the morning and I had my detectors but not my shovel and the ground was already hard even with all the rain we have had. I went home for a while, Watched my supercross races and went back in the evening with my trusty digging tool :) The grass is getting pretty tall in most of the field since the horses are not out there right now so I figured I would detect in the lower grass areas. About 45 minutes into the hunt of digging square nails I got a very scratchy sounding one way 97 on the Deus. I figured it was a can and almost did not dig. Matter a fact I started to keep going, got a couple feet past it and decided to go back and investigate again. The signal sucked but I decided to dig

I started to dig the hole flipped out a 4" deep plug, I immediately found a square nail and I swore under my breath like I normally do if I get fooled by iron. For the heck of it I put my pin pointer in the hole and found another nail or part of the original one. Pulled it out and checked with the pinpointer again. this time I was getting a slow beep in the bottom of the hole. At this point I stood up and used the dues to scan the hole again. But this time I was getting a banging 97 in all directions

I did not know what to think, I figured there was a big hunk of iron sounding off. I re-dug the plug this time going down about 8 to 10 inches and flipped the dirt out and when I did I saw what looked like a far rim in a dirt/rock clod.. Picked it up and saw a big rim with writing on one little section that was exposed. At this point I was thinking some kind of big old token? But figured it might be old so I put the hole clod in my pocket and walked to the house to clean it up..

I got to the sink and started hitting it with the water and quickly saw a unfamiliar face on the coin and saw 5 francs on the back. Rinsed a little further and saw 1811 and instantly starting shaking. this coin was heavy!!! It is a 1811 5 francs with a little wear so I figure it was dropped in the gold rush time!!

I am still freaking out that I found a monster OLD foreign silver in Northern Ca!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am very Bummed I did not video but frankly It never crossed my mind while digging this to video.. I hope you guys enjoy this!!! And I am super happy I used the Deus today. I have a pretty good assumption the ctx would have nulled over this with the Iron in the hole :)

Last edited:

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story and a great coin .Guess you've got a great place to detect.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story thank you for sharing!

That coin is a beauty, congratulations! :occasion14:

strongarm18

Apr 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woot! Thanks for bringing us along! Looks like I'll be digging those shaky numbers again!

Foot hill

Aug 26, 2013
Ca foot hills. (Central ca.)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and tesoro compadre minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome big silver!
I'm in nor cal too and live near old 49nr area. Just have relics, Indian heads and Chinese coins to show so far.
I'm getting more familiar with full tones and higher reactivity and pulling good stuff from iron. So I hope to find some gold rush silver/gold coins someday.
Good job man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations.

Sorry to hear you you almost walked away from it. (Bad Habits)

Get rid of the remote from site or you'll leave the good stuff behind for those who don't use VDI.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on digging that French 5 Francs, that's an awesome large silver coin. I dug one 2 years ago and Scrappy pulled one last year I believe.

Mine was also 10 inches deep.
20150614_134738.jpg 20150614_134713.jpg

OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations.

Sorry to hear you you almost walked away from it. (Bad Habits)

Get rid of the remote from site or you'll leave the good stuff behind for those who don't use VDI.

I walked away from the sound. Sounded horrible as well as being a one way signal. Nothing to do with VDI.. I learned long ago with this machine to not trust it :)

OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bleeohio

Apr 8, 2017
Nw ohio
Detector(s) used
This space for rent...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the lawnmower fired up, that is a great find.

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Dang Ken!!
Awesome find.
Guess I should have come up for that hunt!
Keep hunt'n those old sites and you'll hit more.

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to be profane, but you used a detector that has the Latin name for "God" and your coin bears the French version of "God". Who couldn't really use a God-moment in their life today?

OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You aren't kidding, 10 minutes after getting to work this morning that was apparent :)

Cuyamaca

May 2, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus
AT Pro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. What settings, program, coil were you suing?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread