Decent water resistant remote cover?

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Garrett Infinium LS, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really getting sick of the silicone cover from XP. Sure it offers great protection but it's so darn hard to see through. Add some dust and dirt to the mix and you may as well not even have the remote on the stem. I'd be pleased as punch if the screen portion was clear instead of the whitish opaque..

There has to be a better option. I went my last few hunts without a cover and it was great but, I was paranoid the whole time.

I'd like to see something with...

-Screen protection
-Visibility
-Water resistance/protection

Honestly, for the value/cost of the remote, I'd like to see tempered glass and a hard case (like you see for sell phones). Is that so unreasonable?

Hit me with some ideas.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aryca Tide. Do a search for this on this forum and get all the details.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep Aryca for a totally waterproof option. The Tide will work but it will be oversized. The original "Wave" for the iPhone 3 & 4 will fit perfectly.

For a water resistant cover for light rain I use a Thesaurus Detecting cover. As V says there are a few recent threads that go into more detail.

Aryca:
IMG_2087.JPG

Thesaurus Detecting:
IMG_2078.JPG

Honestly, for the value/cost of the remote, I'd like to see tempered glass and a hard case (like you see for sell phones). Is that so unreasonable?

Hit me with some ideas.

You want to be able to push the buttons. The options above allow you to do that.

Last edited:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just ordered the certified Deus water kit. Only way to have your warranty honored from water damage

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a cover, one of those stretchy nylon ones with the clear vinyl front, can't even see the screen, it's reflective and distorted, can't even see the screen. Don't waste your money.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post a pic or the link to the one you got so other people don't make the same mistake.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Another vote for the Aryca. I've been using a WS13B since 2014. Be advised that the screen protector is more or less impossible to clean in the field if it's muddy out, but fortunately that's not really a deal-breaker with a Deus, is it? (A more experienced user would probably opine, "Quit fiddling with the controller and focus on the tones, Dave!" And they'd be right, but until V4 I tended to pay too much attention to the controller.)

Protip #1: Unless you absolutely need 100% protection from water (and you don't, unless you're going to submerge your control box completely), use a rotary tool to hog out a hole in the back of the case. That way you can still mount your control box on the stem where it wants to be. The case will still protect the box's screen from the rain and your muddy hands (if you're in the PNW; other hazards apply in different areas), even though it's no longer technically waterproof.

Protip #2: Loop the included lanyard around the stem if you mount the control box there. If you prefer to keep your control box in a pocket or something, slip the lanyard around your neck, a limb, your belt, or some damned thing. The "lost control box" forum posts are not frequent, but there have been a few over the last few years...a gentlemen goes through some thick brush or scrambles around on a hill, he swings the coil for a while, he looks down at the screen to see what a strange tone looks like, and he realizes that there is no screen because he lost his control box sometime in the last hour. He now spends the rest of the hunt trying (generally unsuccessfully) to find it. The Aryca comes with a lanyard, so use the frigging thing. It will save you $800 at some point. (It's saved me $1600 so far.)

jhittle

Jun 7, 2016
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
â—„ Minelab CTX 3030
â—„ XP Deus
â—„ Minelab Equinox 800
â—„ Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get the Aryca there is no need to cut it up so you can mount it to your stem. Search eBay for this. Large surface area, completely solid when mounted and retains the case's waterproof-ness.
IMG_2012.JPG
IMG_2014.JPG
IMG_2825.JPG

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jhittle

Jun 7, 2016
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
â—„ Minelab CTX 3030
â—„ XP Deus
â—„ Minelab Equinox 800
â—„ Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im hoping it will fit if not it was cheap enough....

in this vid he states using the WS8 only time will tell as its in the mail now....

Aryca WS13B Aryca Wave
Fits iPhone 3, 4S/4 & other Smart Phone Models, inner dimensions: 4.55" x 2.56" x0.55"

Aryca WS8
inner size:116 x 64 x 14 mm. 4.56 x 2.53 x .55 in.

Last edited:

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks identical should fit fine. Let us know how it goes.

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waterproof Case Aryca

Just ordered 2 , one as a backup $3.00 plus shipping

I saw those, I think they might be knockoffs for $3 because the packaging is different, I stayed safe and bought the real one for $20 with shipping from eBay. Mine says waterproof to 99 feet, the lower cost ones on eBay say 18 feet, not that I will go 99 feet. I'm thinking the $3 one would be fine for what I do, mostly to guard against splashes and mud. Walmart has the others for $18. $35 on Amazon was a lot more than I wanted to pay.

Last edited:

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about that too. I wonder if the construction or materials are different?

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about that too. I wonder if the construction or materials are different?

Probably not. Not enough to really matter I'm thinking, unless you're a serious diver. They look the same.

jhittle

Jun 7, 2016
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
â—„ Minelab CTX 3030
â—„ XP Deus
â—„ Minelab Equinox 800
â—„ Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got them in the mail ... popped in the controller and it was a perfect fit, the packaging looks a bit generic the case has the Aryca logo and for $3.00 i'm satisfied next is to figure out the mounting i see the pic of the mounting block and have seen pictures of using the 3m industrial Velcro

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got them in the mail ... popped in the controller and it was a perfect fit, the packaging looks a bit generic the case has the Aryca logo and for $3.00 i'm satisfied next is to figure out the mounting i see the pic of the mounting block and have seen pictures of using the 3m industrial Velcro

Good to hear. Do yourself a favor and get the mounting block I posted. No amount of Velcro is going to make it a solid mount.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172650098541

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread