Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This morning I took the Hot program from V4 and duplicated it using Deep (v2 filtering) and Basic 1 (v4 filtering) as the base programs, giving me three programs that were identical in their settings, with the only exception being the version of "filtering" (not even really sure what they mean by that term). I can't say that I did *extensive* tests, but I will say that I was unable to observe any difference at all between the three.

Has anybody else tried this yet?

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This morning I took the Hot program from V4 and duplicated it using Deep (v2 filtering) and Basic 1 (v4 filtering) as the base programs, giving me three programs that were identical in their settings, with the only exception being the version of "filtering" (not even really sure what they mean by that term). I can't say that I did *extensive* tests, but I will say that I was unable to observe any difference at all between the three.

Has anybody else tried this yet?

I tend to think its just a bunch of bologna to get users to update to V4.0 in hopes of selling more HF coils and pinpointers but there seems to plenty out there scooping up a coil that adds nothing to the game for most of us

Last edited:

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can tell I difference in the filtering versions. I think V2 has the best iron discrimination out of them all. That's just my opinion though your milage may vary a lot lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can tell I difference in the filtering versions. I think V2 has the best iron discrimination out of them all. That's just my opinion though your milage may vary a lot lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That could well be. As I said, I didn't do an exhaustive test, by any means. I just listened to a few targets on all three settings (and watched them on the X/Y screen) and heard or saw no difference. I still have those programs saved so may do some more informal testing.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could well be. As I said, I didn't do an exhaustive test, by any means. I just listened to a few targets on all three settings (and watched them on the X/Y screen) and heard or saw no difference. I still have those programs saved so may do some more informal testing.

The variety of the targets probably matters. When/if I get around to it, would need a couple of small/large high conductors (copper penny, dime, quarter), some mid conductors (gold band, brass button, pull tab and/or nickel), and some irregular (nails) and round (washer) iron as the targets to see if there is any variation. I too have my doubts on this claim, primarily because there is no written documentation and even Gary's explanation lacks detail regarding the type of "filtering" he is referring to.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread had me wondering what the differences could be from 2 to 3.2 to 4?
I basically started with 4... 1/2 hr swing with 3.2 then upgraded.
I did create all my saves from one prog so they would all use the same filters, right?
So after reading this thread I deleted all my saves and then started over with a couple from Fast, a couple from Hot and a couple from Basic. Didn't see/hear any differences in my small test area nor did I see/hear anything the 2 times I went out swinging.
Hope to hear more from the users with more experience with 2, 3.2 & 4 to see if there is anything to this or is it just a jedi mind game?

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
The "filters", if they be ground filters, will alter mineralization handling characteristics, swing speed characteristics, and possibly certain EMI situations if they are anything like the ground filters resident in the V3i.

Would be cool if true. I do wonder if it's a bunch of BS intended to keep the hype going. That would be sad and indicate bigger problems in France.

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think DT nailed it if true.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree. It must be the ground balance they are referring to.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put a thread up with the answer to the million dollar question of what filters Gary was talking about.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. It must be the ground balance they are referring to.

If that were the case, not sure how XP could keep the new Ground Balance tracking algorithm consistent for all modes across the board. The improved GB tracking is a highly promoted "selling" point for V4. Anywhoo, it seems that Calabash has solved the mystery...for now.

Last edited:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone heard anything from those damn French A-holes about the 'filters'?

tabman

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tabman -

Don't worry about it. Even if this is true, no one has experienced any noticeable performance difference. It is so in the weeds that doesn't matter as far as I can tell. Did you have DST on your F75? I still can't really tell whether DST is on or off with 9.0 or 9.1 and we know that is a REAL filter. There may indeed be some truth to this (I don't think Gary would try to be intentionally deceptive) but I think the effect is even more subtle than DST.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tabman -

Don't worry about it. Even if this is true, no one has experienced any noticeable performance difference. It is so in the weeds that doesn't matter as far as I can tell. Did you have DST on your F75? I still can't really tell whether DST is on or off with 9.0 or 9.1 and we know that is a REAL filter. There may indeed be some truth to this (I don't think Gary would try to be intentionally deceptive) but I think the effect is even more subtle than DST.

I'm with you on the F75 DST. It's super hard to tell the difference, but I like having the DST than not having it because most of the sites that I detect are loaded with EMI. Trying to get a straight answer on which one is on and which one is off is still a mystery. I'm certain that I'm going to like the Deus a lot better than I do the F75. That's saying a lot.

tabman

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you on the F75 DST. It's super hard to tell the difference, but I like having the DST than not having it because most of the sites that I detect are loaded with EMI. Trying to get a straight answer on which one is on and which one is off is still a mystery. I'm certain that I'm going to like the Deus a lot better than I do the F75. That's saying a lot.

tabman

That IS saying a lot because you were a silver monster with that F75!

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You still using the Mojave Tabman? My boys still love them.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You still using the Mojave Tabman? My boys still love them.
Not lately, I've been swinging my newly acquired Deus. The Mojave and Deus make a great team. Both are very good detectors.

tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I built my coin program from 3 different starting points in Deus's latest version, Basic (4.0), Deep (2.0) and Hot (3.2) using the same exact settings. They all 3 sounded different. Especially the one that I started from Deep, a pry cap sounds like a crow call. Unless I'm missing something, I like starting from Basic the best, because it sounds better to me and it seems just as deep and fast as the other two.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions