Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Am I the only one that suspects that the 4.0 GB tracking may not be working as well as advertised? I've found several times when I picked up a faint signal (while using GB tracking), only to have the signal disappear after four or five passes over it. Turn tracking off and the signal is back.

I rarely used tracking in 3.2 so I don't know if this is the symptom that people were experiencing then that was supposedly fixed. Does it sound like the same problem? I'm a little leery about trusting it now.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With 3.2 the signal sometimes disappeared a lot quicker than 3 or 4 passes lol. What you are describing sounds a little extraordinary for v 4 but not unheard of. It is a drawback to tracking if the signal is on the edge of detectability. At some point tracking has to adjust to what it perceives as the average ground conductivity change, so what you are seeing may happen occasionally. Just a tradeoff you have to balance against constantly adjusting ground balance. Better than never hearing the target in the first place because actual ground conductivity slipped well below the manual settinģ and you did not notice. Believe me, 3.2 was worse in this respect but no auto setting algorithm is going to be foolproof. The fix is to do exactly what you did should the target disappear. The good news is that you will likely always hear the initial hit.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Luckily I have not had that happen to me yet on V4 however I have noticed I am still getting non-ferrous hits on iron. Such a pain

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's the main reason I use pumping or manual GB. Are you having trouble with large iron, austin? Or even smaller stuff?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Non ferrous hits on iron has nothing to do with gb (tracking or otherwise).

Hot rocks on the other hand...ground notch has helped but they still sneak through.

Last edited:

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Luckily I have not had that happen to me yet on V4 however I have noticed I am still getting non-ferrous hits on iron. Such a pain

Where are you running your audio response at?

I have noticed anything over 4 on audio response begins to amplify iron targets. I run mine at 5 which causes me to dig some deeper high 90's which 99% of the time is deep iron.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run my audio response at 4-5 I like to hear everything. I dig some deep iron like so deep I'm like really the Dues can see this chunk of iron this deep Holly shoot.
With 3 different "types of filtering" I seem to think V2 does the best job with nulling out iron. I still get high 90 VDI's on small or large iron, I'm sure it had to do with the type of iron. I notice iron that sounds good is normally hand made stuff with a high carbon content.

Would like to hear V's thoughts on why tracking GB doesn't have anything to do with non-ferrous giving ferrous VDI's. Would manual GB be better in a high iron location?

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the main reason I use pumping or manual GB. Are you having trouble with large iron, austin? Or even smaller stuff?
Yes still having some issues with certain types of iron large or small giving me a banging signal with no low grunt trying all the tricks. Like backing the coil off and just using the tip, this week has been a rough one haven't found any good targets except what you see below.
The button was pulled out of a super iron filled site, my friends with AT Pro's won't even hit the site there is so much iron.
Settings
Discrimination = -6.4
Sensitivity - 85
Frequency - 18Khz or 12Khz
Silencer = -1 or 1
Notch = 1-10
GB = tracking with it notched to 70
Tones = full tones
audio response = 5
11" coil 20170509_192305.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes still having some issues with certain types of iron large or small giving me a banging signal with no low grunt trying all the tricks. Like backing the coil off and just using the tip, this week has been a rough one haven't found any good targets except what you see below.
The button was pulled out of a super iron filled site, my friends with AT Pro's won't even hit the site there is so much iron.
Settings
Discrimination = -6.4
Sensitivity - 85
Frequency - 18Khz or 12Khz
Silencer = -1 or 1
Notch = 1-10
GB = tracking with it notched to 70
Tones = full tones
audio response = 5
11" coil View attachment 1450376

My ground isn't iron infested, but I've been playing with these settings:

Disc: 5 to 8
- 4 Tones; iron range 200Hz, 11-97 600Hz, 98 350Hz (the latter is often iron in my area, I dig the deep ones only)
Sens: 90 (what ever goes without falsing)
Freq: 7.8Khz or 12Khz
Tones: 2 or 4
Reactivity: 1 (higher as needed)
Iron Vol: 3
Silencer: 0 to 1
Notch: None
Ground balance: Pumping/manual

bump up the react as needed and try it. I know a iron infested place I did OK on with this but increased reactivity as needed... 9" coil, though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions