Which Factory Program Do You Start With When You Create A New Program?

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Deus Fast as the basis for all my custom programs. Reactivity is a brisk but not insane 2.5, silencer is set to -1 (unlike most other presets which have high silencer settings that can kill depth - Tip: silencer is an expert setting under reactivity. It should be set at -1 (off) or 0 if you want to decrease chattiness with little to no impact on depth performance. Higher settings of silencer will suppress noise at the expense of depth. Another quirk with silencer is that it likes to revert to higher settings if you change reactivity on the fly so yo always need to remember to set it back to -1 or 0 if you change reactivity).

If you choose Deus fast, then all you have to do is set your desired discrimination level (I am liking max negative disc at the moment), sensitivity above 90 if not falsing and set your operating frequency to 8 or 12 khz vice the default of 18khz. I have two identical Deus fast programs in adjacent slots that only differ in their operating frequency so I can quickly switch between them on a target hit to see how the tone and target ID shift with frequency (hint: they should go up with increasing frequency unless you are swinging over iron containing junk like a crown cap and only works id you set ID Norm to OFF in the configuration menu which would be my recommendation. ID Norm is referenced to 18 khz and scrunches all the high conductor IDs together - annoying at best, useless at worst). I primarily use the horseshoe display but also have x-y display custom programs set up adjacent to my main two 8/12 khz Deus Fast variants that have the same exact settings as their horseshoe counterparts. The x-y may give you more insight into an otherwise good sounding target. If the display does not show a sloped straight line, you are likely dealing with iron containing junk.

Now to get at what you were really asking, is there otherwise a difference if you use another preset as the base program for your custom programs? A month ago I would have said no difference. Gary Blackwell of XP has muddied those waters a bit by claiming in a recently posted XP instructional video about V4 software that older version 2 and 3.2 software "filters" were built into the Deep and Hot preset programs, respectively. XP has provided no written documentation of this supposed feature and no one save Gary and the other XP folks know for sure what "filters" he is going on about (silencer?, iron discrimination?, tone/visual ID processing?, who knows?). And there has only been heresay and no disciplined 3rd party testing to verify if there is a difference. Until we get some concrete answers, I can't accurately answer your question. Regardless, the effect, if any is undoubetedly subtle. YMMV. My suggestion is to use Deus Fast as your base custom program builder. HTH.

Last edited:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always start off in Lance's superduper, top secret program that he didn't tell Gerald first and then make adjustments from there depending on the ground conditions I'm faced with.lol

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the help vferrari! Lance I'm pretty much using the custom program that you gave me. I read something about the older version 2 and 3.2 software "filters" were built into some of the preset programs. That's what got me to asking.

I don't like the unknown. Either it is or isn't.

tabman

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deus "Deep" program uses V2 filters how it extracts the signal from the ground. Deus program "hot" uses V3.2 filters. I use the HOT program as my base and adjust from there because I liked 3.2 filters. I use a modified HOT program for hunting in the thickest of iron in 18khz. The program I gave you is using v4 filters. It's a good solid coin program from basic and modified to full tones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread