1864 2 cents

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks VF! In some of your old posts, you had listed some mid notches and the IW 97-99 notch... maybe those were when you were using 3.2? I only started using my modded setup the last 2 or 3 times and I have pulled up some Silver and less junk so it looks like a good balance there.
I am more a coin guy as I don't think a lot of jewelry is lost in the park I am at. It is more like a big old soccer field that people play all sorts of sports on.

Always appreciate your posts, thoughts and suggestions! :icon_thumright:

Thanks for the props.

You'd be surprised what you will find in those innocuous little sites. I have almost the same situation as you. No gold...yet. But a beautiful brass chain/crucifix that rang up in the mid 50's at 8 khz would have been missed if I notched out pull tabs and i have found two silver rings in this field.

And yes, in the past I did notch high tone iron wraparound and did have some mid-notch programs that were variants of programs by Andy Sabisch, but he was also a multi-tone, vice full tones guy. As I took advice from other forum users and refined my detecting preferences, I have migrated to more of a hot/wide open style (i.e., full tones; minimal, if any, disc; and no notch). This had less to do with V4 than it did with just changing my style over time. I like V4 overall especially the new Gold Field program and Reactivity 2.5 and am surprised how much I like the negative discrimination setting.

Thanks! I have found an earring, a watch part, a Leo charm and some pin with initials on it at this place... I will did just about anything. Trying to make the keeper finds greater than the junk ones.
I would love to find some Gold but the coins just keep hopping out of the ground into my pouch.

I will say this, if something is working for you don't change merely based on suggestions on this forum by other users. I am a firm believer of if it works for you, stick with whatever you are doing until it is no longer working for you, then try something different, but only small tweaks. For example, if you are happy popping coins out of the ground and notching out pull tabs and crown caps then do that. If you get board doing that or antsy because you may be missing out on gold, then just modify your program to take out the mid notch but don't drastically change the other parameters. Above all, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The best thing you can do is stick with an approach, learn it well, and apply small tweaks as necessary. Bouncing around trying the latest killer custom program or new detector will mess you up big time and probably lead to a lot of disappointment. That's because doing that will keep you from getting to that point where everything clicks and you naturally react to target signals (good or bad) without thinking about it. Also, for me, detecting is supposed to be relaxing and stress free. If I start getting stressed about detecting, while detecting, then I must be doing something wrong. Enjoy and happy hunting.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats! still on my bucket list.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So borrowed a large gold chain last night just to see what it would ring up as. In 8Khz it came in at a solid 28 lol so just goes to show if it's a solid signal dig that mofo!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread