XP Deus 4khz in wet beach mode?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No offence, glad to help out here, but this is pretty basic operation that is covered by the manual. I only say this because if he wants to keep this setting for detecting sessions he will need to save it in a custom program slot which is a much more complicated sequence that I am not going to cover, more on that below. Both changing operating frequency (in any program it is the same process) and saving custom programs are thoroughly covered in the instruction manual which is available in PDF if you father doesn't have a printed copy. Also, as explained in more detail below, I fear your father may not be aware of how the requested Deus settings may actually degrade Deus wet beach performance. I will first just answer the question, then explain below why I do not recommend what he wants to do. Again, just trying to help, not trying to judge or be pompous.

1. Get into wet beach mode program (press +/- as necessary to get to program 10 > I assume he already knows how to do that otherwise he wouldn't be asking to change the frequency, but just so we are all on the same page)

2. Press button Below "Menu"

3. "Menu" is now replaced with a Down Arrow icon. Press the button below that icon (same physical button used step 2) until you see Frequency (It will cycle through Discrimination, Sensitivity, etc.) and the current frequency setting will be displayed.

4. Should now be able to press the +/- buttons to change operating frequency as desired.

Couple of things to note:

* This setting will stick as long as the remote/wireless headphones remain powered on while detecting and as long as he doesn't otherwise change it even if he switches to another program. If he powers down the remote and wireless phones then he will have to set frequency again because it will go back to the 18 khz default. If he wants to permanently save this setting for future use he needs to save the whole program into a custom program slot. As I said, that is a complex set of key presses and I am not going to walk through that.

* If he is wet beach hunting and looking for small gold and gold chains, the default 18 khz setting is actually optimal for those targets though the ground penetration level is shallower than 4 khz. 4 khz will go deeper but I would actually recommend 8 khz (vs. 4 khz) as a good middle of the road option if he wants to penetrate deeper than 18 kihz. Note that wet beach defaults to transmit (TX) power of 1 (not to be confused with sensitivity or gain, which is how the detector processes the "received" signal), that is an ideal Tx power setting for wet beach hunting because of the black sand mineralization (higher Tx power settings cause the signal scatter in mineralized ground/black sand beach like high beams in fog). I say that because if he goes to 4 khz, TX power is locked at 3 (versus the default wet beach setting of 1) which is terrible for mineralized/black wet sand. 8 khz lowers the operational frequency for more depth than 18 khz but he can keep Tx power at 1 which is the default for the Wet Beach program. Note again, that lowering frequency will increase depth for detecting larger, high conductive targets, but small mid-conductor targets and chains will likely be less detectable.

Hope this helps. Now you can wow your father with your newfound awesome Deus insider knowledge.

HH

Last edited:

mossy99

Greenie
May 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ferrari,
Thanks for the comprehensive reply. My son posted the original question [ staffydog33]. Basically I was trying to enter a modified beach programme using the plus/minus keys and successfully entered all the alterations except the change in frequency.No display showing to allow me to alter any one of the four. Reason---the coil needed to be in the same location as the remote control ! This information came to me from another forum member who had experienced the same problem ! We live and learn every day ! Default setting for wet beach is 27 GB. Rather than lowering the frequency,will retain 17 k and then. try manually reducing GB to suit the prevailing beach conditions. Thanks again for your reply. Mike.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowering the GB is the correct thing to do, I was in OBX a few years ago and I think 11 was the number that stabilized the machine, I was hunting the surf line, if you touch the sand or the water the machine will false. Every beach probably will need different tweaking. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,

That issue (coil and remote not connected to each other) has happened to me before and does result in strange remote behavior like you noticed (missing options) that really leaves you scratching your head until you figure it out. I had a friend who ran into that one with the new pinpointer too. That is a good lesson learned and something I should commit to memory when trying to help others troubleshoot their issues. If you are trying to get rid of the black sand chattiness, matching the local GB is key but may require some trial and error to optimize it for your local conditions. Otherwise, if you want to try to lower operating frequency, then go ahead and lower it to 8 khz vice 4 khz to see what that does. Also, you can oviously play with sensitivity, reactivity and silencer settings to see what they can do and also discrimination. Again, be aware of how lowering the frequency limits your ability to detect the smallest targets. Good luck out there and glad you figured it out. I don't see a lot of folks posting about wet beach mode, so if you are having some success with it, please post back and let us know. Again, hope I didn't come off as a pompous ar$e.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread