9'' Standard vs 9'' HF ?

Railo

Jan 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about making this thread but I've been reading every review and trying to figure out which one to buy. Seems it all comes to personal preferences, soil conditions and the targets you are after.

I currently have the 11'' coil and will buy either the 9'' standard or 9'' HF in couple of days. I'm planning to use the new 9'' coil in modern and old parks/beaches with alot of non iron trash, and some iron infested sites together with the 11'' coil. I'm after coins/jewelry/buttons, not a relic hunter.
90% of the time i've been using 12 or 18khz, sometimes the 8khz but more rarely.

So my questions would be;

1)Is the new hf coil with 14khz the same as using 12/18khz. I don't really need 4khz or the 50khz although they both have their places. Would the HF with 14khz pick the same targets as standard with 12/18khz ?
2)Some have mentioned that the hf is more chattery or unstable compared to the standard, is this true ?
3)Which one would you personally buy, if you already had the 11'' coil ?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, let me say that you are in a great situation. Namely, you already have the 11" coil which covers all the low to mid frequencies. Performance is similar to the 9" standard coil, some would say the 9" standard coil is a tighter coil that may give better separation under certain circumstances and obviously allows you options under restricted swing situations (e.g., cellar holes, bushes). So, to answer your third question first, if you are indeed looking for the advantages of a 9" coil and already own the 11", I would go for the 9" HF since 1) its cheaper than the standard 9" coil and 2) gives you the extended high frequency range while maintaining mid-frequency coverage at 14 khz. You won't have the low frequency coverage of the standard 9" coil, but that's basically covered by the 11" you already have. The only other thing to consider is that the HF coil is always locked at TX Power = 2. Now I do not own the HF coil but have done a lot of research and am debating whether or not it brings anything to the table for me personally. I do own both 9 and 11" standard coils. Now to answer your other specific questions:

1)Is the new hf coil with 14khz the same as using 12/18khz. I don't really need 4khz or the 50khz although they both have their places. Would the HF with 14khz pick the same targets as standard with 12/18khz ? Yes. On paper, it's basically a good compromise to give you solid mid frequency performance similar to the standard 9". I say "on paper" because I don't actually own a 9" HF but from what I have seen on field tests, it basically behaves like a standard 9" at that frequency. The HF may provide some additional capability to detect edge on coins.

2)Some have mentioned that the hf is more chattery or unstable compared to the standard, is this true ? I think it may be true when operating at the high frequencies, not sure about chattiness at 14 khz. The one drawback I can see is that you don't have that option to change to a lower mid-frequency if EMI is a problem at 14 khz. You would have to go higher which affects detections depth. Similarly, if you are in highly mineralized ground TX 2 locked may not be ideal, but it is a good middle of the road setting. Otherwise you should have all the other options available to reduce noise (lower sensitivity, apply discrimination as desired, even raise silencer setting, if necessary - obviously these tweaks come at the cost of reduced depth detection, but if you keep the tweaks within reason, it would only be a marginal hit).

OP
OP
R

Railo

Jan 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, let me say that you are in a great situation. Namely, you already have the 11" coil which covers all the low to mid frequencies. Performance is similar to the 9" standard coil, some would say the 9" standard coil is a tighter coil that may give better separation under certain circumstances and obviously allows you options under restricted swing situations (e.g., cellar holes, bushes). So, to answer your third question first, if you are indeed looking for the advantages of a 9" coil and already own the 11", I would go for the 9" HF since 1) its cheaper than the standard 9" coil and 2) gives you the extended high frequency range while maintaining mid-frequency coverage at 14 khz. You won't have the low frequency coverage of the standard 9" coil, but that's basically covered by the 11" you already have. The only other thing to consider is that the HF coil is always locked at TX Power = 2. Now I do not own the HF coil but have done a lot of research and am debating whether or not it brings anything to the table for me personally. I do own both 9 and 11" standard coils. Now to answer your other specific questions:

1)Is the new hf coil with 14khz the same as using 12/18khz. I don't really need 4khz or the 50khz although they both have their places. Would the HF with 14khz pick the same targets as standard with 12/18khz ? Yes. On paper, it's basically a good compromise to give you solid mid frequency performance similar to the standard 9". I say "on paper" because I don't actually own a 9" HF but from what I have seen on field tests, it basically behaves like a standard 9" at that frequency. The HF may provide some additional capability to detect edge on coins.

2)Some have mentioned that the hf is more chattery or unstable compared to the standard, is this true ? I think it may be true when operating at the high frequencies, not sure about chattiness at 14 khz. The one drawback I can see is that you don't have that option to change to a lower mid-frequency if EMI is a problem at 14 khz. You would have to go higher which affects detections depth. Similarly, if you are in highly mineralized ground TX 2 locked may not be ideal, but it is a good middle of the road setting. Otherwise you should have all the other options available to reduce noise (lower sensitivity, apply discrimination as desired, even raise silencer setting, if necessary - obviously these tweaks come at the cost of reduced depth detection, but if you keep the tweaks within reason, it would only be a marginal hit).

Thank you once again for your time and knowledge, really appreciate it.
Seems like the HF would be more versatile since I already have the 11'', that's what I was also considering. The standard 9'' coil would have better target separation I asume but otherwise they are quite equal.
Although I think in modern trash I will just have to use 14khz all the time.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My detecting buddy uses a t2
I'm pretty sure it runs at 15 k
And he does excellent.I think 14khz will prove very capable when it comes to coins /jewelry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread